A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:50 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asahi at 105th & Memorial  (Read 28169 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »

Avoid it. Worst service I have ever experienced at any restaurant. When I called and complained, I was told it was their "soft opening". Of course, no one bothered mentioning that little factoid to me when I went in. Also, it was nice knowing that after being their guinea pig in order for Asahi to work out their kinks so to speak that I got charged full price.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:45:47 pm by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:45:24 pm »

but how was the food?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

but how was the food?

B-/C+.

TeeDub
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:18 pm »

I guess I have never expected much in the way of service at the old Asahi.

How do you get the worst service ever when all they do is bring you a glass of water and your sushi order?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »

I guess I have never expected much in the way of service at the old Asahi.

How do you get the worst service ever when all they do is bring you a glass of water and your sushi order?

This Asahi is also a sit down dinner and hibachi restaurant (a la Osaka). As for the bringing water, ten minutes after Asahi seated me, no server came to our table to take a beverage order. In fact, the only reason a server showed up in any timely manner was because I went to the bar to get a glass of water for the family and the bartender told our server. I even had to go to the bar to get a "to go" box. It took nearly ten minutes to pay the freakin bill.

Edited: I will not elaborate on the rest of the "service" issues I had in my nearly two hour stay at this place.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:09:20 pm by guido911 » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. I will avoid this place. I am not a big sushi fan anyway.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:15:01 am »

I know the family that owns Asahi.  They are usually very attentive at the old place, almost to the point of annoyance.
Soft openings are always dangerous when you allow the general public in.  It can really develop a frame of reference that is difficult to escape in the future.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:42:54 am »

I know the family that owns Asahi.  They are usually very attentive at the old place, almost to the point of annoyance.
Soft openings are always dangerous when you allow the general public in.  It can really develop a frame of reference that is difficult to escape in the future.

Soft openings should always be handled by invitation only with the understanding of what it is.....With no charge on the food....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:44:32 am »

I ate at the old Asahi once.  So not impressed.

Is Flying Fish still going strong at 111th & Memorial?  I thought they were pretty good, just very inconvenient for me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:58:12 am »

This Asahi is also a sit down dinner and hibachi restaurant (a la Osaka). As for the bringing water, ten minutes after Asahi seated me, no server came to our table to take a beverage order. In fact, the only reason a server showed up in any timely manner was because I went to the bar to get a glass of water for the family and the bartender told our server. I even had to go to the bar to get a "to go" box. It took nearly ten minutes to pay the freakin bill.

Thanks for the clarification.   Sounds like I will stick with the sushi joint and skip the hibachi.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 10:18:53 am »

Thanks for the clarification.   Sounds like I will stick with the sushi joint and skip the hibachi.

Good idea.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 10:20:08 am »

I ate at the old Asahi once.  So not impressed.

Is Flying Fish still going strong at 111th & Memorial?  I thought they were pretty good, just very inconvenient for me.

Yeah its still there. My kids love that place.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 10:23:09 am »

Soft openings should always be handled by invitation only with the understanding of what it is.....With no charge on the food....
Yep. Folks shouldn't pay to be a lab rat.
The problem here was there was no notice of it being a "soft opening". In fact it appeared the place had been open for several days. I even called in advance to make a reservation and they told me I could be seated with no problem.

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:17:11 am »

Weird, I went and ate there this weekend and had no problems....not sure how you can give it a B-C+ either, what did you eat?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 03:20:37 pm »

Weird, I went and ate there this weekend and had no problems....not sure how you can give it a B-C+ either, what did you eat?

From the sounds of it, a bowl of smile.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org