A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:55:24 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you have Onstar and Pikepass  (Read 71811 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: November 01, 2010, 09:48:32 am »

Be careful of placement of the new Pikepass sticker.

There can be issues with the sticker interfering with Onstar's signal.

In order to move the Pikepass, you have to destroy it and get another to replace it.

Contact Onstar or OK Pikepass for suggestions on where you can stick it.  (smiley winky face)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:11:53 am »

I'm more than mildly annoyed they are completely eliminating the old-style tags. I like being able to put my tag in a rental car or a friend's car when they're driving. Florida's Turnpike Enterprise and OOCEA do it correctly. They essentially give away the stick-on tags ($10 in most stores, and they come with $10 worth of toll credit), but still have the old style tag if you want/need it and are willing to pay more for it. ($40-$50, IIRC)

Do I at least get my deposit back when they swap my old tag out for the new stick on?  Tongue

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:42 am »

I was told by the Pikepass voice on the phone they don't want the old ones back.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:34:04 am »

I was told by the Pikepass voice on the phone they don't want the old ones back.

Not yet, but supposedly they're going to be replacing all the old ones over the next couple of years. AFAIK, the stickers are only for new customers/cars at the moment. Either way, the battery will eventually die on my older tags, and since they chose not to distribute the version with the user-replaceable battery, I won't be able to replace it without breaking it. Wink

Now if I could figure out what I did with my SO's old EPass and somehow get them to activate that. EPass, like PikePass uses/used the IT2221 tag, they just bought it with the LED and replaceable battery option rather than the no-LED sealed unit.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:41:06 am by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37:21 am »

Not yet, but supposedly they're going to be replacing all the old ones over the next couple of years.

She actually told me to throw them away or take them to be disposed of.  "We don't want them back."
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:41:37 am »

She actually told me to throw them away or take them to be disposed of.  "We don't want them back."

How unsurprising that they would post misinformation on their website.  Tongue

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:12 am »

That's eerily similar to what I said about my ex wife.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 10:52:48 am »

That's eerily similar to what I said about my ex wife.

That ain't similar, that's EXACTLY what I said.

Cheesy

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58:42 am »

Be careful of placement of the new Pikepass sticker.

There can be issues with the sticker interfering with Onstar's signal.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the new sticker is just that, a sticker with no RFID that is simply proof that you have a Pikepass account if OHP ever pulls you over.  What they read now is the tag number as you drive through.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:03:11 am »

Correct me if Im wrong, but the new sticker is just that, a sticker with no RFID that is simply proof that you have a Pikepass account if OHP ever pulls you over.  What they read now is the tag number as you drive through.

As in the toll tag (Pikepass) or car tag?

If you are claiming it's the license tag, I think you are wrong on that one.  I believe they've still got the capability to take a picture of a car tag if you roll through without a Pikepass, but that is not how they deduct from your account.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:09 am »

The sticker is a beam-powered RFID tag (with a writable memory area, as I understand it), as opposed to the old battery-powered RFID tags.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »

It's not just a sticker.  It's got a chip in it and apparently sends out a signal.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 12:50:52 pm »

As in the toll tag (Pikepass) or car tag?

If you are claiming it's the license tag, I think you are wrong on that one.  I believe they've still got the capability to take a picture of a car tag if you roll through without a Pikepass, but that is not how they deduct from your account.

Im almost certain they deducted from my account when I forgot my Pikepass, by just using Optical Character Recognition of the car tag.  I understand that's how they ultimately plan to do it.

As far as moving the pass from vehicle to vehicle, is there a reason the new stickers cant just be scotch-taped to the windshield instead of using the "permanent" adhesive?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 12:51:32 pm »

I have had the new stickers on both of my vehicles for a month or so. I hate the placement since they have you mount it at basically dead center of your windshield. It's permanent adhesive so you can't even adjust it if you mess it up. There is a chip in it like mentioned above.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 12:53:23 pm »

so what is to keep you from just tossing the sticker on your dash without removing the backing?  Or sticking it to something that you can toss onto your dash, or stick to the old pike pass velcro?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org