A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:40:58 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMC/Southroads/Promenade  (Read 50066 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: October 22, 2010, 02:06:40 pm »

Last weekend I went to a movie at the AMC for the first time since moving back to Tulsa.  The theater was the same as I remembered it but I was surprised by how 'ghetto' it felt with people loitering outside and two cop cars out front.  I saw in the TW a group of kids were robbed there last night, and it doesn't surprise me at all.  Promenade also has the same feeling the few times I've been over there to shop.  What happened to this area?  The neighborhoods around it are fairly nice, OU-Tulsa is building up its campus nearby, and it's on the border between midtown and south Tulsa.  Not sure what can be done to improve the situation..

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »

Not sure what can be done to improve the situation..

Three words:

conceal carry permit

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »

I think that when you let the theater become a craphole then only crappy people will go to it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:50:31 am »

I live nearby and yes, occasionally there is some "loitering" going on, but then the cops start making the rounds, the kids move on and things clear up for a while, then the cycle starts over again lol.

As for the area in general, I think it has gotten better in recent years but its never been the magnet that the Woodland Hills area has been  (except when it was pre Woodland), and the teen population has shifted towards the suburbs. My neighborhood is mostly older folks and starter families, aka not big purchasers.     

I would love for the area to see more infill and become more mid-townish.  Would be neat to see some nice apartment/midrise living in the area.  I actually enjoy that I can walk to the movies, restaurants, shopping, being near the highway with quick access to the rest of the city and suburbs, great private school nearby, growing OU Tulsa, La Fortune Park nearby, etc.   The area has a lot of potential....especially if it gets the right kind of infill. 

I have been thinking of starting a group to do a "Small Area Infill" plan for the area to be adopted into the new Comprehensive Plan.   

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:14 am »

I think that when you let the theater become a craphole then only crappy people will go to it.

Agree, that could be the problem.  AMC was Tulsa's first multi-plex, stadium-seating theater and opened in 1998.  Before that the two best theaters in the city were Movies 8 and Eton Square.  Since then bigger and nicer theaters have been built, but AMC has stayed the same.  A renovation and a switch to all-digital projectors would be a big improvement.  Either that or have the Warren Theater buy the AMC.  If you've ever been to a Warren in Moore or Wichita it is a great experience, and way better than anything currently offered in Tulsa.

OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »

That AMC used to be my favorite theater when it first opened.  I went there once about a year ago because I had coupons.  The experience was so bad the manager gave me free passes to come back and I didn't want to use them.

I still like the Promenade since it is less crowded and easier to park at than Woodland.  I also still like their theater and El Chicos.  The crowd in the area is getting more "ghetto" especially at the AMC parking lot.  Some of my friends consider anything north of 51st to be "ghetto".

I feel like the malls in Tulsa are pretty small.  I wish they would build a big 3 story mall with an ice skating rink downtown kind of like the Galleria in Dallas.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »

That AMC used to be my favorite theater when it first opened.  I went there once about a year ago because I had coupons.  The experience was so bad the manager gave me free passes to come back and I didn't want to use them.

I still like the Promenade since it is less crowded and easier to park at than Woodland.  I also still like their theater and El Chicos.  The crowd in the area is getting more "ghetto" especially at the AMC parking lot.  Some of my friends consider anything north of 51st to be "ghetto".

I feel like the malls in Tulsa are pretty small.  I wish they would build a big 3 story mall with an ice skating rink downtown kind of like the Galleria in Dallas.

We used to have a two story mall with an ice skating rink downtown, the Williams Center Forum.  I think it opened around 1980 and the rink's last year was around '93 or '94.  IIRC, it was converted into office space for one of the Williams entities.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:58:45 pm »

We used to have a two story mall with an ice skating rink downtown, the Williams Center Forum.  I think it opened around 1980 and the rink's last year was around '93 or '94.  IIRC, it was converted into office space for one of the Williams entities.

I remember some of my Jr High cheerleader friends would practice on the rink (during the spring/summer when it wasn't ice).  Bell Jr High.  Gosh that makes me feel old.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »

Areas change,  South Tulsa is getting alot of crime lately.  When I was in the D/FW MetroPlex this past April I drove by the Indian Creek Apertments where I once lived back in the 1980's and now they are really getting run down & dangerous from drugs and gangs in the parking lot to section 8 housing. When I lived there it was nice clean apartment complex.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »

Areas change,  South Tulsa is getting alot of crime lately.  When I was in the D/FW MetroPlex this past April I drove by the Indian Creek Apertments where I once lived back in the 1980's and now they are really getting run down & dangerous from drugs and gangs in the parking lot to section 8 housing. When I lived there it was nice clean apartment complex.

?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 02:09:28 pm »

Some of my friends consider anything north of 51st to be "ghetto".

Yeah midtown is such a ghetto..   Roll Eyes

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »

I am beginning to think "ghetto" means "color" or not mostly white.   If white kids hang around outside a theater or in a mall (or anywhere else) its one thing, but if a group of kids that are not white do, then the area is ghetto.  Roll Eyes  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:28:41 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 02:27:26 pm »

I am beginning to think "ghetto" means "color" or not mostly white.   If white kids hang around outside a theater or in a mall (or anywhere else) its one thing, but if a group of kids that are not white do, then the area is ghetto.  Roll Eyes

There you go Kraut...knock it out of the park.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 02:30:30 pm »

There you go Kraut...knock it out of the park.

LOL.  Please don't encourage him.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 02:59:27 pm »

That AMC used to be my favorite theater when it first opened.  I went there once about a year ago because I had coupons.  The experience was so bad the manager gave me free passes to come back and I didn't want to use them.

I still like the Promenade since it is less crowded and easier to park at than Woodland.  I also still like their theater and El Chicos.  The crowd in the area is getting more "ghetto" especially at the AMC parking lot.  Some of my friends consider anything north of 51st to be "ghetto".

This is the opposite of my experience.  I've always felt The Palace at the Promenade had a run down feel even when it first opened.  I assumed that the Palace was a reburbished theater whereas the AMC was built from scratch (speaking of, how many years has it been since AMC used those concession stands on either end?  What a waste).  Both have a diverse group of kids loitering about at times, but the Palace seems to have more of a problem and always seems to have multiple off duty TPD officers around.  Rather than make me feel safe, that always makes me feel like a problem is about to occur at any moment.

The reality is both the AMC and Palace are the nearest theater option for a lot of people in midtown, north Tulsa and to some extent east Tulsa.  It goes without saying that these areas have a greater mixture of ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds than many parts of south Tulsa. 

In my experience, no matter where I see a movie, if it is one that draws a large number of teenagers, then there will be a lot of dispruptive movie goers who talk throughout the movie and take cell phone calls without a care for those around them (behavior that is not limited to teenagers).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org