A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:15:44 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kendall Whittier Neighborhood  (Read 28926 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24:12 am »

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank The Shadow for the lovely personal message he sent me.    Find something better to do than harass people on the internet.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 07:41:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Wow, I leave for a day to produce a practice test and tune night at the ractreck in Kansas and a dozen posts appear.  

I think the phone specials for Low Imcome are actually $1.99 per month.  I see those ada on late night TV along wtih SMC, the two dwarfs or midget real estate guys, Carlton Sheets, the cleavage vitamin lady among other.  LOL

By the way folks living in the Bartlesville and Oklahoma Kansas border area seem very nice and well healed.  We had over 140 for our Test n Tune Wednesday night and we only announced it Tuesday afternoon.  There were a dozen Semi Truck haulers and quite a few Modifieds with some high dollar mils.  

Great to hear those V8 Engines running at the old speedway once again.  Everyone had a big smile on their face.  

True, some of the business areas I described are not in the direct KW neighborhood, but in surrounding neighborhoods that seem to be economically challenged.  Even the East Side Cafe has closed, that was Tulsa's oldest sit down restaurant left operating.  Eastside Cafe's Onion Rings were the best ever.

It takes major re-investment to swing the fortunes of an area around.  Without TU's expansion, KW would likely still be pretty blighted.

I do want to give a tip-o-the-hat to Dan Ziegler for his foresight in investing in the KW area long before anyone else was willing to do something productive with the real estate.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
mr.jaynes
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2007, 03:28:47 pm »

As I remember, KW did have some measure of character to it. Inner city or not, there was something to it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 05:56:36 pm »

I agree with AJ. I've lived in Tulsa long enough to remember the really bad times that extended to the fringes of Swan Lake, Maple Ridge, Yorktown, Riverview, Florence Park, etc. Progress moves slowly sometimes, but I do see progress in the neighborhoods that surround downtown, granted much remains to be done. I firmly believe that by 2025(maybe even sooner) we could see areas like Crosbie Heights, Owen Park, Brady Heights, Crutchfield, The Pearl, and Kendall Whittier rise to experience a rejuvenation and  renaissance like Cherry St. and Brookside have. In many of these areas, the progress has already begun, although still in it's infancy. Doesn't anybody else remember what Cherry St or Brookside was like 15 years ago?

I was searching through old threads and found this one from 2007.  With the Kendall-Whittier area in probably the best shape it's been in decades I wanted to revisit where the area goes from here.  Additional development along the strip around 1st & Lewis?  More renovations and new construction houses on either side of Lewis?  There are still plenty of rundown areas within the neighborhood but overall it continue to be on a positive trajectory. 

Regarding the other fringe neighborhoods mentioned by Double A:
Crosbie Heights - some new reinvestment but still a couple years out, with the close access to downtown and the river and great views from the top of the hill I see a lot of potential in this area.  Wish someone would do an adaptive reuse on the old brick buildings at Archer & Nogales
Owen Park - lots of new investment in the areas closer to the park and TCC, less so further west.  Like Crosbie Heights lots of potential for further growth with TSAS and TCC as anchors
Brady Heights - nearly completely gentrified, still opportunities for infill on the east side and renovating rundown homes further north into Cheyenne Park
Crutchfield - still pretty rundown, probably still a few years out from seeing growth since it's so disconnected from downtown and surrounded by industrial
Pearl District - lots of new investment along 6th with clusters at Peoria and Utica (the brewer's block), new stores and restaurants along 11th, but still lots of dilapidated homes and empty lots

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org