A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 07:29:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote Yes on state question 747  (Read 3463 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: October 19, 2010, 07:38:29 am »

This is a bill to set lower term limits on selected state offices.

This measure amends sections 4 and 23 of Articles 6 and section 15 of Article 9 of the State Constitution. It limits the ability of voters to re-elect statewide elected officers by limiting how many years those officers can serve. It limits the number of years a person may serve in each statewide elected office. Service as Governor is limited to eight years. Service as Lieutenant Governor is limited to eight years. Service as Attorney General is limited to eight years. Service as Treasurer is limited to eight years. Service as Commissioner of Labor is limited to eight years. Service as Auditor and Inspector is limited to eight years. Service as Superintendent of Public Instruction is limited to eight years. Service as a Corporation Commissioner is limited to twelve years.

Service for less than a full term would not count against the limit on service. Years of service need not be consecutive for the limits to apply. Officers serving when this measure is passed can complete their terms. All such serving officers, except the Governor, can also serve an additional eight or twelve years.

I am for this measure. I think public service is an honor that should be shared. This measure mandates a healthy turnover of elected officials and hopefully ensures good ideas.

Power is nothing till you use it.
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:39:14 am »

I love term limits so I will vote yes for this.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:31 am »

I'm torn on this.

While I respect the voter's right to re-elect a good candidate, I fail to see evidence that career politicians do any good.  Politics corrupts even the best of them, and erodes ethics over time.  The longer they remain in the game the more likely they are to compromise in order to achieve.

I also like the fact that this would force politicians to engage the private sector with far more vigor, knowing that they must return to a position of production some day.  It would also diminish the power of the public sector by making those positions less valuable as "career choices".  In the long run this would diminish frivolous funding of pet projects for political gain and reduce the power of most lobbies and unions.

I'm about 70% yes on this, though it does contradict my libertarian nature by reducing individual choice.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:49:58 pm »

I'm torn on this.

While I respect the voter's right to re-elect a good candidate, I fail to see evidence that career politicians do any good.  Politics corrupts even the best of them, and erodes ethics over time.  The longer they remain in the game the more likely they are to compromise in order to achieve.

I also like the fact that this would force politicians to engage the private sector with far more vigor, knowing that they must return to a position of production some day.  It would also diminish the power of the public sector by making those positions less valuable as "career choices".  In the long run this would diminish frivolous funding of pet projects for political gain and reduce the power of most lobbies and unions.

I'm about 70% yes on this, though it does contradict my libertarian nature by reducing individual choice.

I seems to eventually get them all.  I met Lance Cargill in 2002 when I was doing some volunteer work with a non-profit. I was really impressed with how much integrity he seemed to have and how he really cared about Oklahoma and the issues concerning Oklahomans every day.  I honestly thought: "Now here's a guy who could be a great Governor or U.S. Senator someday.

By the time he'd become Speaker Of The House, he'd gotten caught up in soft money, was lax on paying property taxes and I think had lost focus on why he was a Representative.  Didn't sound at all like the same guy I'd met and worked with.

I'm for term limits.  I don't think public service should be a lifetime occupation.  There's got to be room for fresh ideas and a shorter shelf life so we don't keep politicians long enough for them to get indebted to special interests.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:17:21 am »

I was at the Tulsa State Fair a while back asking people to sign a petition to get term limits on the ballot and I had a big guy put his fist in my face and say "I'm gonna limit your term in a minute".  Aw I miss circulating petitions.

I hope SQ 747 passes.
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:16 pm »

Yeah, I remember when Coburn favored term limits. Till it applied to him.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »

I was at the Tulsa State Fair a while back asking people to sign a petition to get term limits on the ballot and I had a big guy put his fist in my face and say "I'm gonna limit your term in a minute".  Aw I miss circulating petitions.

I hope SQ 747 passes.

Dude would have done that to me he'd have been singing about three octaves higher within about 2 seconds...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:57:48 pm »

Dude would have done that to me he'd have been singing about three octaves higher within about 2 seconds...

I always have to give them a big warm hug.  Just hold onto them as hard as you can and pee yourself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org