A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:17:31 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W 111th St?  (Read 5456 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« on: October 12, 2010, 05:25:48 pm »

Where's W 111th St?

Heading south on US-75, I encounter the following street signs
41st ST S
61st ST S
71st ST S
81st ST
Main Street Jenks
W 111th ST
121st St S
141st St
etc...

So what's up with 111th ? 
Call me crazy, but W 111th St is a N/S Street that runs through Sand Springs and Sapulpa
The sign is confusing..  Do they mean Westbound 111th?   because the exit is for both eastbound and westbound traffic.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:02:09 pm »

The North South street would be 111th W, not W111th.  W before the designation would mean that it is an East West street, West of Main, where the W after the number would indicate a North South running at a parrallel of Main and West of it
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:23:47 pm »

Actually, the N-S "street" out by Sand Springs is 111th West AVENUE.  The E-W street is West 111th Street, sometimes referred to as West 111th Street South.  Under the Tulsa grid system, "streets" run E-W, "avenues" N-S.  Not to be confused with Courts, Places, Boulevards, and Heavy Traffic Way. 

The North South street would be 111th W, not W111th.  W before the designation would mean that it is an East West street, West of Main, where the W after the number would indicate a North South running at a parrallel of Main and West of it

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:02:42 pm »

If they labeled them consistently, it wouldn't be confusing..
111th is the only one with the W prefix  (which leads one to think the exit is for westbound traffic... in part because the new exit configuration is similar to 71st's Eastbound/Westbound exit... )

81st St has neither a W prefix or a S Suffix

I was thinking it was "West 33rd St"... But apparently it's W 33rd Ave, as Cynical pointed out..

I could be raising a stink over nothing.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:08:08 pm »

If they labeled them consistently, it wouldn't be confusing..
111th is the only one with the W prefix  (which leads one to think the exit is for westbound traffic... in part because the new exit configuration is similar to 71st's Eastbound/Westbound exit... )

81st St has neither a W prefix or a S Suffix

I was thinking it was "West 33rd St"... But apparently it's W 33rd Ave, as Cynical pointed out..

I could be raising a stink over nothing.

It's actually S 33rd W Ave
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »

Actually, the N-S "street" out by Sand Springs is 111th West AVENUE.  The E-W street is West 111th Street, sometimes referred to as West 111th Street South.  Under the Tulsa grid system, "streets" run E-W, "avenues" N-S.  Not to be confused with Courts, Places, Boulevards, and Heavy Traffic Way. 

I was simply refering to the E W designations, and their placement within the the street name itself, not refering to the designation of Street, which as you said would run E-W.  To include with Ave, Roads and Boulavards run N-S, where Pl, Ct and one more that I can't recall at this moment denote subsets of a specific street in any direction (21st Pl would fall between 21st and 22nd).  There is a method to the street system, it's just that most people are completly unaware of it.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »

It's confused me twice now.  I have a need to go EAST on W. 111th St. about two times a week, and since they opened the bridge and ramp, the arrow sign that says "W. 111th st." and points at the exit ramp has implied to me that it's the exit for WESTBOUND 111th.  Only when I get right up on the bridge do I realize how it works.  Kinda confusing the first few times, but hopefully tomorrow I'll have the hang of it. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org