A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:44:30 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Green Blitz" and the New Model QT West of Downtown,etc.  (Read 3670 times)
Rico
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:59:43 am »

Two examples of "new" building concepts have been added to the inventory of Downtown Tulsa West.

Habitat has built, what they hope will be, a "new improved model for the Habitat for Humanity Homes"... Complete with geo-thermal HVAC.

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RzrrmPD5A                        [/youtube]

Mister QuikTrip has added one of his new model stores on Gilcrease Ave. and the Keystone Expressway.

And last but not least.... Dan Buford completed his very nice transformation of the old nursing home, at Charles Page Blvd and Olympia Ave.(note/had it not been for a very heated Board of Adjustments meeting, Mr Buford's property would have been home to a Juvenile Probation Facility)

I think these three things are indicative of the momentum created by Downtown development. They are also, IMO, indicative of developers looking at the area plans created in the past that will be guides as "PlaniTulsa" takes effect. i.e. "The Charles Page Boulevard Area - Neighborhood Revitalization Plan"..

Dan Buford is a substantial property owner in the Charles Page area. I was very pleased to see the substantial investment he made recently with the transformation of his "Nursing Home" property. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:38:25 am by Rico » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:23:13 pm »

I don't know about "green blitz" in reference to the new QT at the Gilcrease exit.  It's more like a truck stop than a traditional QT.  Lots of asphalt and lots of cars moving fast.  It's sort of scary to walk from the pumps to the store.  (I think QT customers speed through the parking lots b/c of the "Quik" in the name...it seems to have a subconscious effect on the gas pedal...)  The larger parking lot/pump area seems to encourage even faster driving at this store.

And with the elevated location and the horrendously bright lights (hard to sheild them when they're so high above the road--not that they tried), it looks like some sort of UFO coming down for a landing.

For some reason I expect "green buildings" to sort of blend into the landscape better than that.  I know, it makes no sense... it just goes with my defiinition of "low impact."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org