A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:17:15 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trader Joe's  (Read 88774 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:35 am »

There are some. Denver has a few. However, the majority of them are more suburban in format.

I give the Denver TJs lighting a thumbs down for glary fixtures.  Looking at the other photos, the street and nearby businesses are all Full-Cutoff (low glare) shielded fixtures.
Just my $.02

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »

I have verified that center is coming down and being re-developed.......

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 01:57:43 pm »

I give the Denver TJs lighting a thumbs down for glary fixtures.  Looking at the other photos, the street and nearby businesses are all Full-Cutoff (low glare) shielded fixtures.
Just my $.02

And man is that an ugly building. Kind looks like an Aldi

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2014, 02:11:22 pm »

I have verified that center is coming down and being re-developed.......

Maybe we can get a T-Mobile, California Nails, and Supercuts there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2014, 02:34:50 pm »

Maybe we can get a T-Mobile, California Nails, and Supercuts there.

Somewhere, Inteller's head is exploding right now...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

And man is that an ugly building. Kind looks like an Aldi

Sadly, it looks like it's based off of the picture in Gaspar's post.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:33 pm »

Ever been to a Mariano's grocery store? Amazing. Fun store. I have been to the one in downtown Chicago.
http://www.marianos.com/
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2014, 10:57:51 pm »

I've heard from very reliable sources it is a Trader Joe's going into the 37th & Peoria development. There will be about 5,000 square feet of additional retail available. The way it was describe was those would be available in "pad site" so it will be interesting to see if that design that was posted on here will be followed or if this development will go the way of the current Arvest, Bank of West, and other non-urban sensitive developments sprouting up in Brookside.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 05:16:12 pm »

The sad thing is that until the zoning code gets updated, anything that is built on Brookside will have suburban setbacks and parking requirements by default.  Obviously, a developer could request a variance if they wanted to build something appropriate for the neighborhood, but it would take extra time and effort.  Fingers crossed.

On a side note, Trader Joes typically moves into existing retail spaces; I can't think of any that were built from scratch, except maybe the one in Kirkwood, MO. But they do like to locate near existing Whole Foods stores, etc, b/c they can easily beat WF prices and quickly pull health conscious customers into the fold.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »

Just my $.02

Got to give you credit for picking a horse and riding the hell out of it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »

Got to give you credit for picking a horse and riding the hell out of it.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2014, 10:22:57 pm »

The sad thing is that until the zoning code gets updated, anything that is built on Brookside will have suburban setbacks and parking requirements by default.  Obviously, a developer could request a variance if they wanted to build something appropriate for the neighborhood, but it would take extra time and effort.  Fingers crossed.

On a side note, Trader Joes typically moves into existing retail spaces; I can't think of any that were built from scratch, except maybe the one in Kirkwood, MO. But they do like to locate near existing Whole Foods stores, etc, b/c they can easily beat WF prices and quickly pull health conscious customers into the fold.

Recent new developments in Brookside and Cherry Street have come up to the sidewalk with parking behind, hopefully this is the case with this development.  The Brookside Neighborhood Assoc. should demand it in this area.  If done right it could help bring more pedestrian-oriented businesses on Peoria south of 36th.  Something like the Denver one on Colorado Blvd. would be appropriate.

dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:30 pm »

City Hall Blog: I think Trader Joe's is coming to town, no matter what they say - Tulsa World

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/city-hall-blog-i-think-trader-joe-s-is-coming/article_fa2f18d4-d900-51da-afcb-2ed9fbb4577a.html

By KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer

Trader Joe's spokeswoman Rachel Broderick said Thursday that Tulsa is not in the specialty grocer's short-term expansion plans.

"It is not in our two-year plans," she said by phone from the company's headquarters in Monrovia, California.

I, like many Tulsans, have heard rumblings that the supermarket chain is coming to town.

And I'm still not convinced that won't happen.

Here's why:

Preliminary development plans for a 12,000-square-foot grocery store to be built between 37th Street and 37th Place on Peoria Avenue were presented to the city late last year.

They're detailed: neat little rows for produce, neat little rows of display shelves, neat little rows for frozen foods. A line of cash registers.

It sure looks like a Trader Joe's.

Then there is this: The county's land records show the 1.5-acre property is owned by Brookland North LLC — the same folks who presented plans for the supermarket to the city last fall.

There's even a store rendering attached.

But, alas, the store is not named.

Don't forget, by the way, the dozen or so businesses that occupy the Peoria Avenue property now. They have been told they need to be out of their buildings by the end of February to make way for a new development.

That's too many coincidences for me.

So I called John Philips with Venture Properties, an affiliate of Brookland North LLC, to ask if he is bringing a Trader Joe's to town.

He was kind but mum.

"We can't, at this time, discuss who we are in conversation with," he said.

The World even called the architecture firm, BRS Architects of Boise, Idaho, that created the preliminary plans and asked to speak to the person who did "the plans for Trader Joe's in Tulsa?"

The woman who answered the phone identified the architect by name and transferred us to him.

Although he could not provide specifics on the design of plans issued to the city, he did say the firm has designed a Trader Joe's in Houston, Texas.

So there you have my case that Trader Joe's is coming to Tulsa.

Broderick, the Trader Joe's spokeswoman, was as helpful and charming as she could be, and I do not suspect for a moment that she was being anything but truthful.

But you know how life works — plans change.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »

If it items out like this it could be nice development: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/67/5671bd28-7d72-5a3e-a108-92bb278e367d/54bb288f7959b.pdf.pdf

From the attachments in the TW article.  That looks like the block between 37th Pl and 37th St on Peoria.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2015, 06:42:25 pm »

If it items out like this it could be nice development: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/tulsaworld.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/67/5671bd28-7d72-5a3e-a108-92bb278e367d/54bb288f7959b.pdf.pdf

From the attachments in the TW article.  That looks like the block between 37th Pl and 37th St on Peoria.

So is that whole thing one store, or do you enter through the windows?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org