A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:29:00 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trader Joe's  (Read 89673 times)
rdj
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:45 am »

"They" being TYPROs or Trader Joe's?

They being typos TYPros.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »

Apparently, I'm not the only one here who likes some TBC every now and then.

i have actually never had a chance to try it.  everyone that i know who has tried it, has liked it.  one of these days, i will get my hands on a bottle of it.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 08:24:03 am »

i saw this picture show up on reddit lastnight ( http://www.reddit.com/r/tulsa/comments/1bdm7o/trader_joes_downtown/ ):

old sign from the pop up shop?  april fools joke?  it appears that the sign is in an empty lot at 9th and denver.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »

http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/coming-soon.asp
dbacks fan
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:43 pm »

Only if Oklahoma moves out of the dark ages on liquor laws. Trader Joe's and Costco don't want to move where they can't sell their own label in their stores.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »

Only if Oklahoma moves out of the dark ages on liquor laws. Trader Joe's and Costco don't want to move where they can't sell their own label in their stores.

i thought this was the reasoning, as well.  however, i was just talking with a friend of mine that lives in state college, PA.  he said that they have a trader joe's there.  PA's liquor laws prevent wine and liquor (and beer too, i think) from being sold in grocery stores.  i am beginning to think that OK liquor laws aren't the reason that we don't have a trader joe's.

dbacks fan
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »

i thought this was the reasoning, as well.  however, i was just talking with a friend of mine that lives in state college, PA.  he said that they have a trader joe's there.  PA's liquor laws prevent wine and liquor (and beer too, i think) from being sold in grocery stores.  i am beginning to think that OK liquor laws aren't the reason that we don't have a trader joe's.

Could very well be. I was basing it on talking to people at Trader Joe's last time I was in Arizona.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »

When I lived in PA, liquor and wine were only available in State Stores, stores actually owned and run by the state.  Beer was available in "Beverage Stores".  I don't remember if beverage stores could sell anything besides beer and soda(pop).  Bars could sell beer to go. I don't remember restaurant rules.

This delly is where we bought hoagies.  No beer back then but they also didn't have seating for customers to eat in the store.  (No Coors east of the Mississippi River either.)  Maybe they now have a restaurant license of some sort.

http://www.sleepyhollowdelly.com/

joshuasmaximus
Tourist

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »

I used to live in Pittsburgh, PA. In PA, you cannot buy liquor, wine or beer in grocery stores. We still had multiple Costco stores and a Trader Joe's. We also DIDN'T have such a massive Walmart domination of the retail market like OK does. I would wager that Costco and Trader Joe's doesn't want to get this far away from their supply chain for a market that is addicted to Walmart AND won't have wine sales to help make extra revenue.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 06:28:44 am »

Just one of those distortions/misrepresentations that floats around as "common knowledge".  Despite many examples to the contrary.

Yeah, we need to move out of the dark ages across many fronts, but none of those will stop Costco if they feel the business case is there....and alcohol won't be a single issue "vote" for them.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
vamx
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 11:56:34 am »

It is also interesting to note that there are no Trader Joe's in Texas either. So I guess we can cross off demographics as a valid reason....Texas (as well as Oklahoma) certainly has many areas that would fit theirs.

I think it's more of a distribution issue, but since TJ's is notoriously secretive, we may never know.

Not true ... Trader Joes are open in Dallas, San Antonio, Houton and Austin.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 01:08:52 pm »

Not true ... Trader Joes are open in Dallas, San Antonio, Houton and Austin.

That may not have been the case when that post was written in 2010.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
joiei
City Father

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 04:38:28 am »

And remember that Trader Joe's and Aldi's are the same
Company. So they already have distribution in this area.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 04:26:51 pm »

That may not have been the case when that post was written in 2010.
Exactly. Trader Joe's entered the Texas market about a year ago.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 12:11:40 pm »

And remember that Trader Joe's and Aldi's are the same
Company. So they already have distribution in this area.

That is a common misunderstanding.  There are actually two different Aldi companies, owned by two brothers who split the sheets, so to speak, in 1960.  Trader Joe's is under common ownership with Aldi Nord.  The Aldi stores in the US are owned by Aldi Sud.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org