A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:47:56 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Train Whistle  (Read 12113 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 12:29:37 pm »

I hadn't even noticed, which is why I think the whole expense was a giant waste.

The train whistles, or lack thereof, don't even make a dent in downtown noise. What about the constant sirens? We better spend millions to silence those. Then we'll have to crack down on drunks and their screaming. Better come up with a special TPD taskforce.

If you want quiet, move to the suburbs.
The point of stopping the whistles was for the BOK center.  When your several blocks from the tracks, yeah, it's just part of the background noise, but when your right next to them, like the BOK center is, it can be pretty bad.  I've about jumped out of my skin a few times because of it.  And, of course, there is nothing like stopping a conversation until the train is some ways down the track so that you can be heard.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 12:38:10 pm »

It was also for new businesses like hotels. No-one wants to pay $200 a night to be woken up at 3am.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 12:39:23 pm »

It was also for new businesses like hotels. No-one wants to pay $200 a night to be woken up at 3am.
There is that as well, which I feel is connected to the BOK center.  No one really cared about the hotels downtown until it came along, IMO.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »

I can't believe you don't think that inteller is perfectly reasonable. I also can't believe you called that site BBR.

Personally, I like trains. The whistles don't add much to the deafening roar anyway.

BBR is shorter than dslreports.  I'm lazy.  Sue me.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 01:56:25 pm »

Downtown has been a quiet zone for nearly a decade now - today the trains are blowing their horn again.  It seems like a half dozen horn blasts spaced out most times they cross a surface street, like they used to do.  So horn horn, horn horn, horn horn hooooooorn.  Then a minutes or two to get to the next street... repeat a few times an hour.  Not the end of the world, but if it's mildly annoying to me I have to assume there are those more affected...

I'm thinking this isn't a permanent thing, but anyone know why?   (again, not really a complaint at this point, just curious why the sudden change?)

Article on the quiet zone from back in the day:
http://www.newson6.com/story/12002152/downtown-tulsa-railroad-quiet-zone

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »

Downtown has been a quiet zone for nearly a decade now - today the trains are blowing their horn again.  It seems like a half dozen horn blasts spaced out most times they cross a surface street, like they used to do.  So horn horn, horn horn, horn horn hooooooorn.  Then a minutes or two to get to the next street... repeat a few times an hour.  Not the end of the world, but if it's mildly annoying to me I have to assume there are those more affected...

I'm thinking this isn't a permanent thing, but anyone know why?   (again, not really a complaint at this point, just curious why the sudden change?)

Article on the quiet zone from back in the day:
http://www.newson6.com/story/12002152/downtown-tulsa-railroad-quiet-zone

I am paying them to do that. Doesn't bother me any because I am not nearby.  But I thought it would be a fun practical joke to play on you now that your office is near the tracks.  Tongue

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53:40 am »

You're not going to think it's so funny when I start paying the Jimmy John's guys to blow those "honka honka" bike horns as they come and go.  Grin

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org