A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:15:10 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for and finding a job is a challenge Staffmark 's requirements  (Read 2190 times)
barry47
Citizen

« on: September 20, 2010, 08:52:48 am »

I have been looking for a job and have been applying at every possible location I can find.  Today at StaffMark they tell me if you haven't had a job in the last 6 month's then we can't employee you......... What? I understand that there is more competition for entry level positions due to more people willing to work with some college, but I think this is a little over the top. "What saith you? Huh
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 09:01:00 am »

I have been looking for a job and have been applying at every possible location I can find.  Today at StaffMark they tell me if you haven't had a job in the last 6 month's then we can't employee you......... What? I understand that there is more competition for entry level positions due to more people willing to work with some college, but I think this is a little over the top. "What saith you? Huh

I worked for a staffing company for a short while, and typically one of the requirements that employers give staffers is that they want to hire someone who is currently employed or who has been unemployed for less than 3, 6, 12 months.  It's sad, but it's true.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:36:35 am »

Yup, always easier to get a job if you have a job. If you don't have a job, then it is very likely that your previous employer wanted you gone, either through firing or layoffs.

Go flip burgers or stock shelves for a couple of months, then apply. It will be a whole new world.
GG
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:56:50 pm »

I work for a staffing company. (Been in the staffing business for the past 22 years was an HR Mgr the 12 years before that.)   We have not had any clients come out and tell us they will not consider anyone who has been unemployed for 6 months or longer.  But, I sure it has been done silently by rejection of candidates we submit.   

Bottom line though, if you have a skill that an employer needs they will hire you no matter how long you have been off.

sqrizzle is right too, get out and do something, even if it is volunteer work with a church or civic group.   Start a small business, mow yards, clean windows at businesses get active.   

Go to Craigslist, look under gigs - events.   With the State Fair coming up there are lots of part-time opportunities coming up. 

Send me a message, I will be happy to meet with you at my office to review your resume and give you suggestions in what directions you can go.   

Oh, Staffmark is no longer a big player in the Tulsa market, they were at one time when the Maxwell's were running it but they are a lower tier company now locally.  I can not remember the last time I ran into them out there.  So don't let what they told you get you down.   

Take Care,

Trust but verify
barry47
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 07:10:18 pm »

Thanks to TulsaSourceLink www.sourcelinktulsa.com (my business plan is almost complete.  I have a great plan however I need investment capital to move it forward in a big way.  Do you know of VC's or banks that invest in businessess in this economy?  my credit score 694 TU 655 EX 611 EQ so not enough for a loan I don't think. Sorry about the plug I don't own the company its a taxpayer funded company.. lol
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:12:22 pm by barry47 » Logged
barry47
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:15:42 pm »

Yup, always easier to get a job if you have a job. If you don't have a job, then it is very likely that your previous employer wanted you gone, either through firing or layoffs.

Go flip burgers or stock shelves for a couple of months, then apply. It will be a whole new world.

I think that was the real case with Roto Rooter not the statement that they gave me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org