A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:40:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Year Old Jenks Student Aces ACT  (Read 10588 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: September 15, 2010, 03:52:01 pm »

Well done:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpps/news/strange/girl-15-aces-act-on-first-try-ob10-jgr_3581350

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

what I find interesting is that we haven't seen this pop up here, but yet it's on the grand rapids news
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:36 am »

The article credits CNN/KOTV.  Maybe some Jenks kid acing the SAT at 15 just elicits a yawn around here.  It's so much more entertaining to talk about the mayor and the city council. 

There was a Jenks student around 2000 who made a perfect score on the SAT, the ACT, and the PSAT.  He was part of a Jenks graduating class with 17 National Merit scholars.  I remember comparing that number to El Paso, where I was visiting at the time.  According to the El Paso Times, they had 3.  In the entire city.

what I find interesting is that we haven't seen this pop up here, but yet it's on the grand rapids news

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:04 pm »

The article credits CNN/KOTV.  Maybe some Jenks kid acing the SAT at 15 just elicits a yawn around here.  It's so much more entertaining to talk about the mayor and the city council. 

There was a Jenks student around 2000 who made a perfect score on the SAT, the ACT, and the PSAT.  He was part of a Jenks graduating class with 17 National Merit scholars.  I remember comparing that number to El Paso, where I was visiting at the time.  According to the El Paso Times, they had 3.  In the entire city.

Proud dad moment. My daughter took the ACT at 12 and scored a 22.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:47:51 pm »

Did she do the Duke TIP program?
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »

Don't you feel a little bad she beat you at 12?

We had a girl at Jenks who should have graduated in 1999 score a perfect score (I believe this to be accurate).  She didn't seem very smart though...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 01:01:06 pm »

Did she do the Duke TIP program?

Yep. That was the point of her taking the ACT (as you probably know). She took the math program at the Univ. of Kansas. It should be noted that I apparently am the only one who never heard of Duke TIP until last year; but it is an awesome program. And, btw, once you are in, you are in up through HS graduation.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »

Don't you feel a little bad she beat you at 12?

Damned right I do. Seriously though, she was only five behind my ACT score--if my memory is worth anything.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:14:33 pm »

Damned right I do. Seriously though, she was only five behind my ACT score--if my memory is worth anything.

That's OK. We will just type a little slower for you. The important thing is that you do your very best.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 01:17:27 pm »

That's OK. We will just type a little slower for you. The important thing is that you do your very best.

Thanks. Anything helps.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 01:23:51 pm »

She should be able to beat you by 17.  Honestly, if they actually made the effort to teach her what she needed to know for the ACT by 12 she probably would have made a 27.  You just have to pick some of the math and science up in the classes you take.  Did she get any prep for it?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:09 pm »

She should be able to beat you by 17.  Honestly, if they actually made the effort to teach her what she needed to know for the ACT by 12 she probably would have made a 27.  You just have to pick some of the math and science up in the classes you take.  Did she get any prep for it?

No prep. We wanted to just see how she could do without imposing any pressure or otherwise create some sort of parental expectations. Right or wrong? Who knows. As most in here know she does attend private school (HH) and the curriculum is pretty darn intense, but you are right, I wish they offered more core classes and less liberal artsy-type stuff.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 01:36:58 pm »

Yep. That was the point of her taking the ACT (as you probably know). She took the math program at the Univ. of Kansas. It should be noted that I apparently am the only one who never heard of Duke TIP until last year; but it is an awesome program. And, btw, once you are in, you are in up through HS graduation.

I figured, I was wondering if you sent her, a lot of people don't. My daughter did Aerospace Engineering at KU in '09 and Algebra II at TAMU last summer.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:38:54 pm by swake » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »

I figured, I was wondering if you sent her, a lot of people don't. My daughter did Aerospace Engineering at KU in '09 and Algebra II at TAMU last summer.

That's great. Next year mine wants to do the Veterinary Medicine program, probably at Georgia.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:58 pm »

No prep. We wanted to just see how she could do without imposing any pressure or otherwise create some sort of parental expectations. Right or wrong? Who knows. As most in here know she does attend private school (HH) and the curriculum is pretty darn intense, but you are right, I wish they offered more core classes and less liberal artsy-type stuff.

Its not really as much to do with what they offer as when they offer it.  Since they design the test for Juniors/Seniors you might not have that particular type science class until 11th grade.  Or the math class until 11th grade (depending on how advanced in Math the student is).  22 is better than 99% of the OU football players Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org