A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:07:07 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) One Place Tower  (Read 245832 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 07:31:26 am »

This project was ready to start a month ago but then they changed some things, including this new announcement that Northwestern Mutual is moving from 71st & Yale to the corner of 2nd & Denver.  I was told there were some property ownership issues that have taken longer than expected to resolve, and that the TDA is moving at their usual glacial speed as well.  Hopefully we'll see something start this summer.

Here is a rendering from the TW...hopefully they'll releases some better ones once the design is finalized. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 08:03:24 am »

So no retail or entertainment on that side of the block then?

That's a shame.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 08:19:21 am »

That's a shame.

It looks like a pretty big block . . . I bet they'll leave some ground floor open to retail/restaurant.  IMO it's too valuable as retail/restaurant to NOT have it happen that way.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 08:22:49 am »

A)  It's a great sign that businesses from the edges of the city are moving back downtown.  In the scheme of things, this is a monumentally important reversal for downtown as a center of commerce.  Remember radio hosts squawking about 71st and Memorial being Tulsa's actual "downtown?"  Moves like this are a tangible rebuttal.

B)  The glass fronts look like they could easily host retail and entertainment.  Or is it going to be oriented toward the interior of the block, towards the center/courtyard?  Also, is that a roof patio I note on the northwest corner?  
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 08:26:55 am »

It is just a rendering.  I guess I'm looking at a half empty glass this AM for some reason.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 08:32:47 am »

That's a shame.

according to the tulsaworld article this morning:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110414_11_A11_CUTLIN211469

"Northwestern Mutual will occupy the top 2 floors...while restaurant and retail space will consume the bottom floors."

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:19 am »

according to the tulsaworld article this morning:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110414_11_A11_CUTLIN211469

"Northwestern Mutual will occupy the top 2 floors...while restaurant and retail space will consume the bottom floors."

Well that's a plus then.  My glass is half full now.  Appreciate the update.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:33 am »

There needs to be leasable restaurant retail space along Denver and 3rd.  Not so much the 2nd and Cheyenne frontages.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2011, 10:10:35 am »

I don't want to be negative either, this is an exciting development - but - that western exposure to the BOK center bites (if the sketch is accurate). I hate the high window on the southside, I do not like the entrance and the building is not very "inspired". They can do better.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2011, 11:27:17 am »

To be fair, the "rendering" is practically a crayon sketch.  I'd wait on some details to complain about.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »

I want lots of things for this development. I hope it is a great shining example of mixed use and becomes a complete partner with the Arena and west downtown.

But I will be happy with anything there but a surface parking.

These guys are taking real risks building this super block. They are going where most would not. How many among us would be building hotels and office and retail in this economy? How many of us would put up with the pace of TDA?

These guys are heroes when this is done. They are putting in as many dollars and jobs to energize Tulsa as all the Blue Dome district partners or Brady area entreprenuers combined.

It is wonderful to be a Tulsan right now. I will always be thankful to risk-takers like these.

My kids want to live downtown now because they think the Blue Dome, The Brady, the Ballpark are great places to be. My nine-year old doesn't have any memories of downtown Tulsa before all this happened.

This Place One development just keeps the good things coming.   

Power is nothing till you use it.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2011, 02:16:16 pm »

I will wait to comment on the design, because that is such a conceptual drawing.

But I can't wait for this to start. I'm sure whatever ends up there will be fantastic. I am going to live downtown when I get old enough to buy a house. Don't know about raising a family there, but we'll see. The mindset of many suburbanites is changing. My Dad said something last night that shocked me. That he wanted to go downtown more. I couldn't believe he said this (he is one that guns it to the on-ramps as fast as he can). Downtown has exciting days ahead of it. I can't wait to see the area around the BOK Center once this, the aLoft Hotel, and the YMCA buildings are complete!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2011, 02:36:41 pm »

The great thing about this development is that it is so visible being across from the BOK.  A lot of people go downtown to go to the BOK or convention center and this is what they'll see (especially those that will park in the lot to the north and the garage on 2nd), which is good for downtown as a whole. 

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2011, 03:05:21 pm »

Another nugget from the Tulsa World article is that the 4 story building for Northwestern Mutual is not only going to start first, but is supposed to be completed by next summer (2012) because of NW's aggressive move-in schedule.  Anything that gets dirt being moved on this site is a huge plus.

In the scheme of things, convincing south Tulsa companies that downtown is the place to be is probably a necessary precursor to convincing out-of-town companies that downtown Tulsa is the place to be.  Momentum continues to build. 
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:16 pm »

Come on TDA, get out of the way before you discourage more Tulsa Development!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org