A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:39:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) One Place Tower  (Read 247751 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #435 on: December 13, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

They are also very soft wood and their life cycle is short.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #436 on: December 13, 2012, 12:46:34 pm »

There is a spot in front of my new shop where tree might have been and I would like to put something there, but not same ol same ol.  I was thinking of a mimosa.  I know a lot of old timers don't like them, but I think they have a nice shape and look to them.  Beats the heck out of a Bradford Pear and they seem to do quite well in our area.  I think they would create a nice, unique look in some of the street medians or sidewalks where a medium sized tree would work because of the way the branches would flow up and outwards over the street and sidewalks. 

You can dig one off my fence line if ya want!  Get it before PSO hopefully does in the tree cycle they just sent me.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #437 on: December 13, 2012, 03:05:36 pm »

They're putting in windows on the ground floor facing Cheyenne today. Isn't that planned for some type of retail/dining?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2012, 08:16:32 am »

I have a Mimosa I need to dig out before it gets too much more mature.  Artist, are you interested?

If you can dig it out I will take it!  Otherwise, I can let one grow in my yard for a time then transplant it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #439 on: December 14, 2012, 08:17:06 am »

You can dig one off my fence line if ya want!  Get it before PSO hopefully does in the tree cycle they just sent me.

Might take you up on that in the spring.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #440 on: December 14, 2012, 08:18:29 am »

If you can go that route, look into the viability of a chocolate mimosa if you like the looks of them.  It'd be the unique that you mentioned.

Mimosas tend to be the trees I cut down as a weed but I agree, it would definitely stand out downtown.

Now that is neat and eye-catching. Wonder if they might have those at southwoods?  May check on that.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #441 on: December 14, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »

Now that is neat and eye-catching. Wonder if they might have those at southwoods?  May check on that.

Joe has them at Southwoods, but you can also get them at Depot and Lowes.  The grow very fast and require plenty of water.  They are not a great urban tree because of their growth habit and the fact that the root system needs plenty of space and is sensitive to swings in moisture and changes in PH.  In an atmosphere where they must compete for light (i.e. tall buildings) they will stretch awkwardly instead of spreading, and usually that means that they will grow in only one direction.  This makes for an ugly tree, and even regular pruning won't really fix the problem.  They are great in a moist open space without obstruction.  The dense shade from the wide canopy will also prevent grass from growing underneath.

You could get a similar effect with a much more controlled growth pattern from a Forest Pansy Redbud, or any of your purple plumbs.  As they get older they also produce intrest from the gnarled trunks, and they are excellent urban trees.  The forest pansy produces a nice flush of flowers in the spring that will turn to deep purple leaves, as the season gets hotter, the leaves will turn from purple to burgundy & green, and are one of my favorites. 

Purple plumbs are sturdy and uniform.  Many will produce some nice grey modeling on the trunk that adds extra intrest. They are quite popular as an urban tree.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #442 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:16 am »

That purple Redbud is a good looking tree...and its State of Oklahoma appropriate!
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #443 on: January 02, 2013, 03:26:30 pm »

Temporary construction elevator is coming down being hauled off today.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #444 on: January 07, 2013, 01:37:25 am »

Purple plum trees are beautiful in the spring, then they proceed to drop their immature fruit all over the sidewalk they grow near.   They stain concrete and would be a colossal mistake anywhere near pedestrian areas.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #445 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:19 am »

Purple plum trees are beautiful in the spring, then they proceed to drop their immature fruit all over the sidewalk they grow near.   They stain concrete and would be a colossal mistake anywhere near pedestrian areas.

They make great smoking wood for pork.  That's about all they are useful for.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #446 on: February 28, 2013, 12:14:26 pm »

Any updates on this project?  When is Cimarex moving in?  I presume it should be any day now.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #447 on: February 28, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »

It looks like they are a ways off from that.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #448 on: February 28, 2013, 04:09:07 pm »

The people are moving in April, but apparently they are working on infrastructure now.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2013, 04:34:52 pm »

Cool.  Any word on the retail spaces in either building? 

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org