A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:48:04 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kendall-Whittier  (Read 23328 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:08 am »

I saw in the TW yesterday that the Kaiser Foundation is helping the city buy properties in the area in between Lewis and Atlanta, 5th Pl. and 4th St. by Kendall-Whittier Elementary.  There are several rundown apartment complexes there currently, along with a few vacant lots.  I believe the intent is to sell the land to developers and build new homes.  Hopefully this expands south to the neighborhood directly west of TU.  I can see that area being similar to Renaissance if some of the apartments and blight are removed.  I have a few friends in their mid-late 20's that have bought homes in this area and it seems to be revitalizing.  A streetscape along 6th could do wonders as well.  Your thoughts?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20100907_11_A11_TheGeo886076&archive=yes

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:05:16 am »

Not to be negative but "owned by the city" doesn't exactly scream development to me.

Edited to add:  Thank you Kaiser foundation for every effort.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:07:23 am by Townsend » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:43:51 pm »

Kendall Whittier improvements on KTUL

http://www.ktul.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6602668

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:49:33 pm »

Kendall Whittier feels like a seperate small town inside of Tulsa. I love watching it slowly improve.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »

Kendall Whittier feels like a seperate small town inside of Tulsa. I love watching it slowly improve.

I'd really love seeing the improvements happen more quickly!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »

I'd really love seeing the improvements happen more quickly!

Unfortunately the Kendall-Whittier advocate and mouthpiece (and former councilor) is also one of developer's bigger hurdles.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:10:32 am »

Did they buy "The Dollhouse"...??

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:53:56 am »

Did they buy "The Dollhouse"...??

You'd be out a place?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:59 pm »

Why on earth couldn't they have made that clinic be pedestrian friendly?  If there is any area that has potential to be a pedestrian friendly neighborhood around an area where there are a lot of people who need it to be for they often use transit, this is one of them. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:53:37 pm »

Why on earth couldn't they have made that clinic be pedestrian friendly?  If there is any area that has potential to be a pedestrian friendly neighborhood around an area where there are a lot of people who need it to be for they often use transit, this is one of them. 

Agree, same for Pearl District Dentistry at 6th & Utica.  The buildings are nice though.  I'd like to see more sidewalk facing buildings along Lewis, especially north of 3rd and south of 244 in "Whittier Square".

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »

Agree, same for Pearl District Dentistry at 6th & Utica.  The buildings are nice though.  I'd like to see more sidewalk facing buildings along Lewis, especially north of 3rd and south of 244 in "Whittier Square".

Developers seem to be short sighted, they only build the structure for its current use and not for what it might be used for once the current need expires or fails.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 09:18:39 am »

Kendall-Whittier FB post:

Tallgrass Gypsy Studio opens next week on Whittier Square! The studio will offer belly dancing and yoga classes beginning Monday, February 18.

Yoga classes are taught by Mary Hendricks, a certified yoga instructor, on Monday-Wednesday-Friday from 12:30-1:30pm and Tuesday-Thursday evenings from 6:30-7:30pm. Cost is $10/class (drop-ins welcome!) or 10 classes for $85.

Wednesday evenings at 6:30 is Belly Rak Out, a belly dance inspired aerobic workout class!

Tallgrass Gypsy promises to be a hidden gem -- the studio faces the parking lot behind Circle Cinema at 1st & Lewis -- but the secret will be out soon!

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 10:29:42 am »

I was at the Circle Cinema recently and it looked like some work was going on inside the old Sweeney Hardware store.  Anyone know if something is planned or under way?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:33:08 am »

The new brick building on the east side of Lewis at about 5th St is striking. Is this part of the new neighborhood that KFF is building?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 07:43:50 am »

yes

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org