A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:38:00 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kendall-Whittier  (Read 23927 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:44 pm »

In March, Hoot Owl Coffee opened on the northeast corner of Lewis Avenue and Admiral Boulevard in the Kendall Whittier neighborhood.

Since opening six months ago, Calaveras Mexican Restaurant is already planning to expand its restaurant, which sits on the southwest corner of Lewis Avenue and Admiral Boulevard, into the adjoining storefront to its south. The expansion will allow for additional seating and a larger kitchen.

“We’re taking meetings with prospective tenants every day,” says Ed Sharrer, executive director of Kendall Whittier Main Street, “sometimes several meetings a day,” due to the growing popularity of the area.

Sharrer attributes the renewed interest in the district to the resurgence of downtown Tulsa.

In particular, the area has seen a recent influx of creative businesses, including artists, photographers, filmmakers and architects. “Generally speaking, if you make or create something, the emerging creative corridor between downtown and the University of Tulsa is where you want to locate,” he says.

Sharrer promises a number of soon-to-come development announcements (up to 12 projects are currently under discussion). Some of those businesses are expected to occupy the storefronts south of Circle Cinema, including the southernmost storefront at the corner of Lewis Avenue and 1st Street, which was the longtime home of Swinney Hardware.

“In another year, this area is going to look entirely different,” he says.

http://gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/13447/area-districts-see-development

We finally tried Calvera’s last night, then walked down to the Mexican bakery on the east side of Lewis.  It’s really super what is happening in this area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 03:06:29 pm »

We finally tried Calvera’s last night, then walked down to the Mexican bakery on the east side of Lewis.  It’s really super what is happening in this area.

I drive by there quite a bit on my trips to Marshall's for growler fills.  I thought the same thing but haven't stopped to check it out.  Might have to do so now.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:15 pm »

I drive by there quite a bit on my trips to Marshall's for growler fills.  I thought the same thing but haven't stopped to check it out.  Might have to do so now.

Do it Hoss, you won’t regret it. Either that, or there needs to be another summit at lunch time!

I had the Guisado De Puerco.  Mighty fine tribute to a dead pig.  Apparently there is nothing on the menu which sucks.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:47 pm »

Do it Hoss, you won’t regret it. Either that, or there needs to be another summit at lunch time!

I had the Guisado De Puerco.  Mighty fine tribute to a dead pig.  Apparently there is nothing on the menu which sucks.

Looks like a lot of great reviews.  I'll make that a priority on Friday for post-growler fill for dinner.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

rdj
City Father

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:02 am »

The restaurant is owned by the family that started El Rio Verde.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 07:50:11 am »

That explains it.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 10:46:59 am »

There is a sign up at El Rio Verde that contests this. Not sure what the real story is.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:53 pm »

There is a sign up at El Rio Verde that contests this. Not sure what the real story is.

Dunno.  I was told by someone in the food business that the current ownership of El Rio Verde is not the founding group.  The founding group now owns the KW place.  No idea what's true...

I've heard its good that is all that matters!

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 01:31:30 pm »

Here's the story I've seen. 

"Molina sold El Rio Verde to his aunt years ago and has owned or been a part of several other Mexican restaurants around town over the years. His latest is Calaveras Mexican Grill."

http://www.tulsapeople.com/Tulsa-People/April-2015/Caliente-at-Calaveras/
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org