A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:09:47 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 1512 Too Many City Services? KPMG City Audit Report  (Read 12220 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

Nathan, I'm no expert on IT so not really aware what the pitfalls are. An IT contractor is operating a business to make a profit so they must operate more efficiently by necessity with a capped cost contract.  I certainly can see potential to cut corners to achieve those objectives as well.

What are some of the pitfalls you are alluding to?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 08:42:32 pm »

Nathan, I'm no expert on IT so not really aware what the pitfalls are. An IT contractor is operating a business to make a profit so they must operate more efficiently by necessity with a capped cost contract.  I certainly can see potential to cut corners to achieve those objectives as well.

What are some of the pitfalls you are alluding to?
They rarely come in on budget, they usually use inexperienced people and rotate them often, thus ensuring that nobody becomes intimately familiar with the organization's particular infrastructure (and thus can fix it quickly), even when the contract calls for experienced personnel, and they have a bad tendency to attempt to sell expensive solutions only they can support. Those are the big ones. FWIW, in my experience it's pretty rare to have a fixed cost contract for an open ended scope of work like "maintain existing IT systems and support end users for one year". You might get that on a contract for installation of specific hardware and software or training a specific number of users, but even then the contractor rarely eats the entirety of any costs in excess of what was originally anticipated.

Even discounting deficiencies in the contractor themselves (good ones obviously exist, although usually on a smaller scale), it's hard for a contractor to get as good of a sense of the client's needs or as fast a response without having personnel on site equally as much, which ends up costing more than having in house employees. Of course, with the wrong employees, things go wrong anyway. Outsourcing the day to day IT functions of a large organization is as much of a fool's errand as trying to write custom software without an experienced project manager and an iron clad set of features and deliverables. It usually ends in failure.

Where they could use a consultant is in figuring out why their servers need so many people to keep running and help implement solutions that don't require so much intervention. Unless they have some unusual requirements, their head count seems excessive.

I feel a little bad saying that, because god knows my industry doesn't need any more unemployed, but it seems pretty ridiculous at a glance. I wish it took that much work..then I wouldn't be sitting on my hands (and posting here) as much as I end up doing, and I'd have more billable hours besides. Even five years ago it was a hell of a lot more work than it is today.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »

There are a lot of pitfalls but unfortunately the trend to "outsource" is circular and we are in an upswing.

The idea of "outsourcing" IT services is largely a myth. You can't turn everything over to another company because then that company holds all the cards in contract negotiations (because you LITERALLY can't let them go) Most every company outsources only certain functions, meaning the company then spends resources on training, security and support of the group and you lose a good part of the cost savings. Companies that outsource often times end up hiring the contractors as employees later.

The report says they should "competitive bid" the work which could just mean they are going to do a "commercial capable" model which means you treat IT as a separate organization and all work has to be billed directly instead of just counting IT as an overhead cost. It's a pain in the a$$ to implement, but it does help get a good grasp on what you're actually paying for.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 12:22:09 pm »

Review Saves Tulsa Millions

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/review-saves-tulsa-millions

It has been five years since auditing firm KPMG released its study on Tulsa. Since that time, Mayor Bartlett says the city has saved $24-million.

The audit cost  $400,000  and the city didn't even have to pay for it. It was paid for by the Tulsa Community Foundation.

Only about a third of the study has been implemented. The Mayor says other parts of the study are being reviewed to see if additional money could be saved.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 03:41:17 pm »

Nice update. Need to know who is to blame for this savings though.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 03:54:27 pm »

Nice update. Need to know who is to blame for this savings though.

Tulsa Community Foundation
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org