A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:27:29 am
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 445102 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #885 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:36 am »

It seems someone throwing a bottle was retroactively used to justify the overkill, which included pepperballs, Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) and two smoke grenades.  https://www.dominionpost.com/2019/02/01/spruce-street-party-turns-to-riot/

Im sure the snowball fights of my youth included all of those but Im just too old to remember.

Meanwhile Trump twat:

In the beautiful Midwest, windchill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded. In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming? Please come back fast, we need you!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 29, 2019

The president has often used the weather of the moment, rather than long-term changes in the climate, to spread skepticism of the widely held consensus among scientists that the world is warming at an alarming pace. In reality, tweets like this one confuse the difference between climate and weather (weather happens in a given place and time; climate is the average of weather over time).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/01/29/trump-always-dismisses-climate-change-when-its-cold-not-so-fast-experts-say

West Virginia students are famous for violent riots and burning things, even dragging couches out in middle of the street and lighting them on fire. It's something of a student tradition at a notorious party school. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #886 on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:21 pm »

It seems someone throwing a bottle was retroactively used to justify the overkill, which included pepperballs, Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) and two smoke grenades.  https://www.dominionpost.com/2019/02/01/spruce-street-party-turns-to-riot/

Im sure the snowball fights of my youth included all of those but Im just too old to remember.

We always had tear gas fired at us.  Better than pepperballs 'cause it disperses so much more easily.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #887 on: March 10, 2019, 11:16:02 am »

While the U.S. is a big player in environmental legislation, we sometimes forget there are poorer governments with a stake in it.
They just lost some of their best and brightest.

The Ethiopian Airlines plane that crashed shortly after takeoff from Addis Ababa on Sunday morning likely was carrying people set to attend a major United Nations environmental conference in Nairobi.

Authorities have said more than 30 nationalities were among the dead.
The U.N. Environment Assembly is set to begin on Monday in Kenya's capital, where the plane was headed.

French President Emmanuel Macron and U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres are among those expected. U.N. Environment has said more than 4,700 heads of state, ministers, business leaders and others would attend.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/the-latest-us-confirms-americans-were-on-ethiopian-plane

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #888 on: February 24, 2020, 07:17:40 pm »

Antarctic heat wave melted 20 percent of an island’s snow cover in days

This event was the inspiration for the opening scene of the disaster film “The Day After Tomorrow,” which was released in 2004.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/02/24/antarctic-heat-wave-melted-20-percent-an-islands-snow-cover-days-caused-melt-ponds-proliferate/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #889 on: February 25, 2020, 11:10:08 pm »

And in other Minion News....now that coronavirus is taking over the entire discussion of everything right now...how about discussing how Trump fired the entire pandemic response team two years ago, and has not replaced any of them.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #890 on: February 28, 2020, 06:02:23 pm »

And in other Minion News....now that coronavirus is taking over the entire discussion of everything right now...how about discussing how Trump fired the entire pandemic response team two years ago, and has not replaced any of them.

Sure he has.  He's put Pence in there now so he'll have the CDC expand thoughts and prayers.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #891 on: March 04, 2020, 08:23:54 pm »

Sure he has.  He's put Pence in there now so he'll have the CDC expand thoughts and prayers.

Pence - the guy who has stated that cigarettes don't cause any of the health problems people say they do.   And they may actually be good for you...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #892 on: August 19, 2021, 09:05:38 pm »

Interesting thing happened the other day.  The summit of the Greenland ice sheet had rain for 18 hours.

The very first rain ever in recorded history.

There has been melting at the top only 3 times in the last 32 years - huge increase.  Before that, there had been no melting since the 1880's.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #893 on: August 19, 2021, 09:51:07 pm »

Interesting thing happened the other day.  The summit of the Greenland ice sheet had rain for 18 hours.
The very first rain ever in recorded history.
There has been melting at the top only 3 times in the last 32 years - huge increase.  Before that, there had been no melting since the 1880's.

More interesting facts about Greenland: http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/facts-about-greenland-2532.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #894 on: August 20, 2021, 07:24:56 pm »

I think the Vikings probably named it that to distract from Iceland which I suspect they named to deter people.

Or they just had wicked funny senses of humor!   Probably all of the above....

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #895 on: August 15, 2022, 12:05:03 pm »

A new study reveals the emergence of an "extreme heat belt" from Texas to Illinois, where the heat index could reach 125°F at least one day a year by 2053.

The big picture: In just 30 years, climate change will cause the Lower 48 states to be a far hotter and more precarious place to be during the summer.

This report makes clear where households will be vulnerable to what would now be considered almost unheard-of heat indices, which show how the air feels from the combination of air temperature and relative humidity.

The developing "Extreme Heat Belt" forms a region of vulnerability from northern Texas to Illinois, and includes the cities of St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, Tulsa and Chicago.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/15/extreme-heat-belt-global-warming

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #896 on: September 05, 2023, 08:10:37 am »

Billionaire brothers fuel rightwing media with millions of dollars... Farris and Dan Wilks’ deep pockets fund climate denialism education, conservative politicians.

“The Wilks brothers aren’t the only ones with oil and gas ties to question climate change science from a position of self-interest; with so much invested in hydrocarbon society, their pro-fossil fuel, anti-climate-crisis science position only makes sense. Where the Wilks take things further, however, is their articulation of climate change denialism in theological terms, as if we are all destined by God for a future of environmental ruin we have no responsibility for and can’t control. The force of their advocacy, informing PragerU, the Daily Wire and other conservative media outlets, is what makes their influence so penetrating and paralyzing, and insidious.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/05/texas-fracking-billionaire-brothers-prageru-daily-wire

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 08:12:27 am by patric » Logged

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #897 on: September 07, 2023, 07:19:00 am »

There is no crazy quite like the combination of absurd amounts of money, religious zealotry, and an overinflated sense of self-worth. All these little money popes are getting to be a real problem.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2023, 11:42:56 am »

There is no crazy quite like the combination of absurd amounts of money, religious zealotry, and an overinflated sense of self-worth. All these little money popes are getting to be a real problem.

Their propaganda isnt limited to climate-change denial; our right-wing-extremist State School Superintendent is also under their influence: 
https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/prageru-creator-of-controversial-social-studies-videos-now-has-a-toehold-in-schools/2023/08

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2023, 04:04:47 pm »

Their propaganda isnt limited to climate-change denial; our right-wing-extremist State School Superintendent is also under their influence: 
https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/prageru-creator-of-controversial-social-studies-videos-now-has-a-toehold-in-schools/2023/08

I never voted for him.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org