A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:56:21 am
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441345 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #840 on: January 08, 2018, 05:41:01 pm »

This is why people dismiss science deniers: no matter how patiently, how well cited, how much detail, or how many times someone may explain the conclusions to them - it doesn't matter.

The evidence was dismissed by saying "other evidence exists" and when I asked for more detail the best I got was someone saying "my uncle looked into it one time."  Repeatedly ranting that you don't like the findings isn't persuasive. Saying that there are things you can't be bothered with that probably disagree isn't persuasive.  Either you do not believe the conclusion because of valid reasons and evidence which you can articulate, or you simply don't believe it have have no justification.

Thus far, no one has provided justification.  After dozens of pages of discussion, no reasonable justification for denying the science.  Yet the science deniers love to proclaim that the scientific conclusion is an unsupported dogma?

I am not inclined to spend my time because I truly believe that "consensus people" are just as deaf as they claim deniers to be.  The time spent to find and look at data to avoid regurgitating internet data and conclusions on both sides is beyond my spare time available.  Since I don't own a Gulfstream, no one would listen to me anyway.  Too bad.   My Uncle did more than look into it one time.  He spent a few years at it.  It's unfortunate that he died about 9 years ago or I would be able to get his sources for you. 

TeeDub
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2018, 10:15:13 am »

AND

The way it has come about is directly OPPOSITE the way any rise in CO2 has occurred in past history - going back a LONG way!   This is the part of the discussion that should give great pause. 

I never said that. 

I don't know that human involvement is directly involved any more than I understand what caused the dramatic swings throughout history.    Again, it would make sense that we have caused some (obviously), I don't believe you can attribute then entirety of the CO2 growth to human causes.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2018, 05:52:52 pm »

I never said that. 

I don't know that human involvement is directly involved any more than I understand what caused the dramatic swings throughout history.    Again, it would make sense that we have caused some (obviously), I don't believe you can attribute then entirety of the CO2 growth to human causes.

I know you didn't - I was clarifying it for anyone who looks at the data without noticing the sequence of operation for the process.  It does make a huge difference - throws all the models WAY out the window - gonna have to make new ones.

We most likely caused none of the previous cycles, but they also got nowhere near 405 ppm on CO2.  That IS all us!  The part from last "average" of around 250 ppm to 405 ppm - we gave the world about 155 ppm 'extra'...that is huge!  Especially when you consider that ALL the previous increases came about from rising temperature environment starting the cycle, and today NONE of the increase is because of rising temperatures - other way around.   (Human populations were way to small at those times to impact squat.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #843 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:34 pm »

Global warming means skiing in the Sahara Desert.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/world/africa/snow-sahara.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #844 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:04 am »

Erfalf, here's a good example of dumb people believe dumb things.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #845 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:26 am »

Once again for those at the back of the class, weather is micro while climate is macro. They are not the same.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #846 on: January 11, 2018, 09:22:59 am »

Once again for those at the back of the class, weather is micro while climate is macro. They are not the same.

It would seem the school he attended to get his law degree failed him....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #847 on: January 11, 2018, 11:11:13 am »

FWIW- deserts are defined by a general lack of moisture, not hot temperatures.   Freezing temperatures in the Sahara are not that unusual (particularly near the Atlas Mountains, which host a ski resort).  The town near which the snow fell is supposed to get down to the low 30s every day this week.  That's on par with the average for the town in January and December.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/snow-falls-sahara-first-time-1979-180961545/
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,Ain-Sefra,Algeria

So the unusual occurrence here isn't the cold temperature, it's the moisture.  They only get 7" of rain a year.  So having rain correspond with freezing temperatures is very rare.  And also very pretty.  Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #848 on: January 15, 2018, 10:04:14 pm »

Global warming about to strike us again. Countdown is on for Slappy Brummett to weigh in with his world famous, "Global Warming isn't real because I was cold today" unoriginal quip. This is how we all respond, even his BF

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #849 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:21 am »

Global warming about to strike us again. Countdown is on for Slappy Brummett to weigh in with his world famous, "Global Warming isn't real because I was cold today" unoriginal quip. This is how we all respond, even his BF

What is your obsession with me, Counselor Mareshie (since we're now on a last name basis)?  Seek help please.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #850 on: January 16, 2018, 10:48:30 am »

desert (noun) a dry, barren area of land, especially one covered with sand, that is characteristically desolate, waterless, and without vegetation.

(I see nothing regarding temperature in the definition)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #851 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:32 am »

Counselor, please pay attention:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/noaa-earth-had-its-third-warmest-year-record-2017

"Earth's four warmest years on record have each occurred in the last four years, according to a report released Thursday by NOAA."

TeeDub
« Reply #852 on: February 08, 2018, 11:07:56 am »

Regardless of what lip service Trump gives about "clean coal" no one is really investing in it. 

New electricity capacity from renewable energy sources — including biomass, geothermal, hydropower, solar, and wind — accounted for 49.85% of all new capacity installed during 2017, which totaled 24,614 MW (megawatts), meaning that there was 12,270 MW worth of new renewable energy capacity. New natural gas capacity accounted for 48.67%, with the remaining new capacity being served by waste heat (0.89%), nuclear (0.41%), and oil ( 0.16%). There was no new coal capacity added during 2017.

Over the past five years, renewable energy generating capacity has increased across the board in the United States. On top of solar’s 7.77% increase, wind energy grew by 53.88%, biomass by 11.20%, geothermal by 3.51%, and hydropower by 2.79%. In fact, the generating capacity of all non-hydro renewable energy sources is 73.89% greater than it was five years ago, and renewables together account for 20.21% of the United States’ installed generating capacity. Five years ago this figure stood at only 15.40%. Unsurprisingly, given its popularity and economic viability, wind energy stands out from the pack for the moment, accounting for 7.45% of total US generating capacity.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/07/new-us-renewable-energy-capacity-beats-natural-gas-fourth-year-running-renewables-now-account-20/

Sounds like we are at least moving in the right direction.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #853 on: February 08, 2018, 11:17:28 am »

Regardless of what lip service Trump gives about "clean coal" no one is really investing in it.  

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/07/new-us-renewable-energy-capacity-beats-natural-gas-fourth-year-running-renewables-now-account-20/

Sounds like we are at least moving in the right direction.

Have been moving the right direction for years.  

There are more jobs added per year in California in renewables (solar and wind) than all the coal miners combined in the US - about 17,000.  Mining of everything is only about 60,000 or so.

And there ain't no such thing as clean coal.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #854 on: February 09, 2018, 12:26:14 am »

Scientists rebuff EPA chief's claim that global warming may be good
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/08/epa-chief-scott-pruitt-global-warming-may-good-thing/318850002/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org