A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:22 am
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441334 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #750 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:09 am »

See, Tulsa, ocean front property. I will be able to have tropical plants in the yard year round!  http://gregladen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/potential_sea_level_rise.png

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #751 on: September 13, 2017, 08:22:47 am »

bluelake

You din't plug your data into the correct model buddy...

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #752 on: September 13, 2017, 11:30:04 am »

See, Tulsa, ocean front property. I will be able to have tropical plants in the yard year round!  http://gregladen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/potential_sea_level_rise.png

And Baja Oklahoma would STILL be less than half the size of Alaska!  Bonus!

You could have tropicals year round now if you were willing to spend enough to build a pretty big greenhouse!!

Here is some stuff that I am planning to put on greenhouse this winter.  Pricey, but looking at past performance for last 25 years or so, it's a "set it and forget it" type thing.

https://www.solawrapfilms.com/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #753 on: September 13, 2017, 12:38:05 pm »

bluelake

You mean the model programed by The Heritage Foundation and paid for by Exxon and Koch?
bluelake
Activist

« Reply #754 on: September 13, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »

bluelake

Al Gore wouldn't take my phone call so win some lose some.   Cool

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #755 on: September 14, 2017, 07:59:39 am »

And Baja Oklahoma would STILL be less than half the size of Alaska!  Bonus!

You could have tropicals year round now if you were willing to spend enough to build a pretty big greenhouse!!

Here is some stuff that I am planning to put on greenhouse this winter.  Pricey, but looking at past performance for last 25 years or so, it's a "set it and forget it" type thing.

https://www.solawrapfilms.com/

Oh I do have some tropicals I keep year round, store the bulbs in one place and then some other plants I keep in my Tiki/Pirate Hut named "The Scurvy Parrot Hideaway", or just the "Hideaway" for short, over the winter!   We are building a large pond called the "Jolly Piranha Lagoon" complete with a waterfall "Oooga Mooga Falls".  Oh and the bar area inside The Hideaway is called the "Anchorbottom Tavern".  And the whole back yard we call the "Ohana Oasis".  Grin   

Haven't came up with names for the trails that meander around the perimeter of the yard (yes its a large backyard). Plus we have a lot of tropical looking plants that survive the winter outdoors like our cannas, hibiscus, and fig trees.  Yea the whole back yard is slowly beginning to look like the Pirates of the Caribbean and Tiki Hut area of Disney Worlds Adventure Land lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #756 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:49 am »

Oh I do have some tropicals I keep year round, store the bulbs in one place and then some other plants I keep in my Tiki/Pirate Hut named "The Scurvy Parrot Hideaway", or just the "Hideaway" for short, over the winter!   We are building a large pond called the "Jolly Piranha Lagoon" complete with a waterfall "Oooga Mooga Falls".  Oh and the bar area inside The Hideaway is called the "Anchorbottom Tavern".  And the whole back yard we call the "Ohana Oasis".  Grin  

Haven't came up with names for the trails that meander around the perimeter of the yard (yes its a large backyard). Plus we have a lot of tropical looking plants that survive the winter outdoors like our cannas, hibiscus, and fig trees.  Yea the whole back yard is slowly beginning to look like the Pirates of the Caribbean and Tiki Hut area of Disney Worlds Adventure Land lol.

We have a sign on a post that say's it's my wife's jungle.  Very definitely.  Small backyard, but only enough yard so that it takes less than 10 minutes to mow the back, including putting gas in the mower.

Sounds like a perfect place to put a greenhouse cover over - kind of a Sander's Nursery approach.  4 season gardening...

Ooga Mooga Falls - are you collecting mugs?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:24:05 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #757 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:08 pm »

Welp...

Computer modelling used a decade ago to predict how quickly global average temperatures would rise may have forecast too much warming, a study has found.

The Earth warmed more slowly than the models forecast, meaning the planet has a slightly better chance of meeting the goals set out in the Paris climate agreement, including limiting global warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels.

Scientists said previous models may have been “on the hot side”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-global-warming-paris-climate-agreement-nature-geoscience-myles-allen-michael-grubb-a7954496.html

Oh....and

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #758 on: September 21, 2017, 08:48:35 am »

Stupid science, all allowing alternative views and publishing changing conclusions when data supports it!  But if you actually read the article (let alone the study), you probably wouldn't be posting a laughing meme. Lets see if I can't bring this to focus...

The study:  Hey, we found the computer models done 10 years ago might over predict the global warming trend.  The newest data suggests that the planet has warmed .9C in the last 50 years and warming trend has not accelerated, so we don't think we will hit catastrophic levels for another 20 years.  We aren't warming 50 times faster than the end of the last ice age, only like 30 times faster.  If we can manage the historically unprecedented task of limiting emissions and bring them back down after 2030, we might limit peak rise to 2C.

The Journal Nature: Emission budgets and pathways consistent with limiting warming to 1.5◦C

I think you may have misinterpreted the headline, but I'm glad to see you are finally on board with the scientific consensus and getting into the real debate of how much and what we can do about it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #759 on: September 21, 2017, 09:01:01 am »

Stupid science, all allowing alternative views and publishing changing conclusions when data supports it!  But if you actually read the article (let alone the study), you probably wouldn't be posting a laughing meme. Lets see if I can't bring this to focus...

The study:  Hey, we found the computer models done 10 years ago might over predict the global warming trend.  The newest data suggests that the planet has warmed .9C in the last 50 years and warming trend has not accelerated, so we don't think we will hit catastrophic levels for another 20 years.  We aren't warming 50 times faster than the end of the last ice age, only like 30 times faster.  If we can manage the historically unprecedented task of limiting emissions and bring them back down after 2030, we might limit peak rise to 2C.

The Journal Nature: Emission budgets and pathways consistent with limiting warming to 1.5◦C

I think you may have misinterpreted the headline, but I'm glad to see you are finally on board with the scientific consensus and getting into the real debate of how much and what we can do about it.

It won't help, his only education is from alt-right facebook memes, mostly ones created in Moscow basements.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #760 on: September 21, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »

I get it now that it is in "focus" (and not spinning). Yes. The models that many in scientific community did over predicted the warming trend. BUT, that's okay because all that means is that we have an additional 20 until the earth is going to explode or whatever from climate change (or weather). This is certainly not goal post moving. The good news is Hollywood's rebooting The Day after Tomorrow. New working title, "Twenty Years after the Day After Tomorrow".

Let's just forget about using bad information to drive folks into hysterical behavior and guide billions of dollars in anti-climate change policy. Or how this certainly will not impact the settled science of climate change/global warming/impending ice age, or whatever.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #761 on: September 22, 2017, 11:22:25 am »

Let's just forget about using bad information to drive folks into hysterical behavior

That's religion
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #762 on: September 22, 2017, 03:40:04 pm »

That's religion environmentalism.

Fixed a spelling error.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #763 on: October 04, 2017, 02:56:41 pm »

2005: Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Dennis, Emily
2006:
2007: Humberto, Dean
2008: Gustav, Dolly, Ike
2009:
2010: Igor
2011: Irene
2012: Sandy, Isaac
2013: Ingrid, Manuel
2014: Arthur
2015:
2016: Hermine, Matthew
2017: Harvey, Irma, Maria and now potentially Nate

Yes, we now have Nate pointed at the Gulf Coast.
TeeDub
« Reply #764 on: October 05, 2017, 10:28:11 am »

Is your list of hurricanes just ones that you can pronounce and spell?   (This sounds in type much snarkier than I really mean it to be.)

I am trying to grasp the selective listing and understand the criteria you are using to weed out the ones you don't like.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org