A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:18:20 pm
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441397 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #720 on: August 18, 2017, 01:21:22 pm »

On our property, we have some spruce, some sort of evergreen which has been groomed into a large Bansai, cedar, some sort of willow which appears indigenous to our area or elevation, pine, yucca, and choya and paddle cacti on our property.  There’s pinion pine in the arroyo behind our place but thus far I’ve not been fortunate to get to the pine cones when the nuts are good and ripe or before the wildlife gets to them.  The only thing missing to me are Aspens.

Aspens have almost a spiritual presence to me, so moving to this part of the country I don’t have to go far to be amongst them.  I’m planning to plant some on the western part of our property so they can be enjoyed a little closer in.

There’s a local arborist I’ve befriended, who after getting a couple of racks of my spare ribs, wants to assure I have plenty of apple wood at my disposal.  He expressed concern that Aspens might not survive at our elevation (6400’ MSL) as it can get pretty dry, but I’m committed to keeping them well-watered as need be.  I also pointed out there’s a stand of Aspens in a yard near 27th & Toledo in Tulsa which have managed to come back year after year at around 700MSL so it can be done with the right care.  Getting good suckers off the root system is the trick to starting off on a good basis with them.

Man,  you are making me jealous.    That area where you are, Cimarron Canyon and related, is just sublime.   One of my favorite places on earth. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #721 on: August 18, 2017, 02:05:04 pm »

Man,  you are making me jealous.    That area where you are, Cimarron Canyon and related, is just sublime.   One of my favorite places on earth. 

You know where to find us!

Just FYI, I don't know if you've gotten much into gravel riding but MC and I are working on putting on a gravel ride or race out here for next April out through the Valle Vidal and back in Ponil Canyon.  I'm trying to figure out if we can fit it in between the Landrun 100 out in Stillwater and the DK-200 in Emporia in late May/Eary June.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #722 on: August 24, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »

Someone got paid....

Jennifer Marohasy, a scientist with a rather long list of impressive credentials, which includes the founding of The Climate Modeling Laboratory, opens her startling climate report with a dose of reality.

“Our new technical paper … will likely be ignored,” she writes at The Spectator Australia.

She goes on to explain why, “Because after applying the latest big data technique to six 2,000 year-long proxy-temperature series we cannot confirm that recent warming is anything but natural – what might have occurred anyway, even if there was no industrial revolution.”

https://www.spectator.com.au/2017/08/big-data-finds-the-medieval-warm-period-no-denial-here/
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #723 on: August 24, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »

Headline:  CLIMATE CHANGE WRONG!

Reality:  someone built a computer model that disagrees with thousands of other computer models.

Here's the actual paper.

It all comes down to what they put into the model, the data input, and the ultimate interpretation.  I'm sure the model will be reviewed and commented on (I'm sure I'm not the right person to do so in a meaningful way).  Again, that's how science works. 

I won't bother touching on the authors, journal, or funding sources as others have done - because it doesn't really matter.  Either the findings in her paper will lead to interesting new ideas or reasons will be given why the conclusion is wrong.  There are dozens of papers published monthly on climate change (actually far more than that, Heinonline says ~196k in the last 18 months over the entire broad topic), a single outlier makes headlines because it is an outlier.

But it is ironic that the same day a study held out as shockingly disproving decades of science is brought to light, Harvard publishes a new study concluding that Exxon Mobile acknowledged in research and internal communication that climate change is real and caused by human activity but spent years misleading the public:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/23/exxon-mobil-misled-the-public-on-climate-change-harvard-study-finds.html

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #724 on: September 06, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »

The weather is just perfect. Feels like fall. Bless you global warming.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #725 on: September 06, 2017, 05:01:44 pm »

While three hurricanes churn in the Atlantic Basin.  First time that's happened in seven years.  Yes, thanks alot.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #726 on: September 06, 2017, 05:06:10 pm »

The weather is just perfect. Feels like fall. Bless you global warming.

And this week it's been 110 in San Jose and in the 90s in San Francisco.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #727 on: September 06, 2017, 05:17:27 pm »

And this week it's been 110 in San Jose and in the 90s in San Francisco.

Well thank goodness we do not live in the middle of the Atlantic or in the San Francisco area.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #728 on: September 06, 2017, 06:24:53 pm »

Well thank goodness we do not live in the middle of the Atlantic or in the San Francisco area.

...or the gulf coast, or Florida, or the Caribbean...
We're not currently directly adversely affected, so who cares!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:26:52 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #729 on: September 06, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »

Kinda reminds me of something Stephen Colbert tweeted about it once:

Global warming isn't real because I was cold today! Also great news: World hunger is over because I just ate.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #730 on: September 07, 2017, 07:20:32 am »

Same arguments, over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Its not warmer right now.
Its too new.
3% of scientific papers disagree, so it isn't a consensus.
The science doesn't understand X, or Y, or Z.
We don't have data going far enough back.
Scientists keep updating the theory, so its all false.
There's this one person/paper/thing that disagrees, so its all false.

Repeat ad naseum.

It would be awesome if 40 years of scientific consensus proved to be wrong.  It would be great if observable, repeatable, and consistent experiments all were fabricated.   I would love it if the consensus of biologists, geologists, physicists, chemists, meteorologists, and climatologists happened to be coincidental and all the supporting data was wrong. I would be thrilled if the US Military, academia, and industry all reached the same conclusion and were all wrong.  I really hope we are wrong.

I also really hope a reply shows that TU won the OSU game last weekend.  Or that I read the lotto numbers wrong on that ticket last week. Or that I can finally be the King of Westeros.

But all the best evidence suggests that isn't likely. So I'm just going to keep planning for the reality that the best evidence suggests.  No matter how much I want it to be true, the evidence doesn't suggest a fat check from the lottery guys...time to return the Ferrari.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #731 on: September 07, 2017, 07:43:26 am »

Now you're getting it.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #732 on: September 07, 2017, 11:45:28 am »

I'm just waiting to see how much QT raises their gas prices this time. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #733 on: September 07, 2017, 12:06:56 pm »

I'm just waiting to see how much QT raises their gas prices this time.  

They shouldn't, given that there aren't oil rigs/refineries in the region.  That's also been reported so if prices do go up, the reasoning will have to change.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:23:08 pm by Hoss » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #734 on: September 07, 2017, 03:36:14 pm »

I have family in Miami, so Ill just remind myself its all just a Chinese hoax.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org