A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:05:36 pm
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 444434 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #645 on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:22 am »

The 3-phase went away when AEP rebuilt the overhead wiring for my neighborhood after the '07-08 ice storm.
The compressor shed looked like a storage shed, was loud and scary.  All that remains is the pipe stub where the house plumbing connected to the buried water lines that ran between the compressor and the water tower.  I dont know if there was any sort of backflow protection or if that was a thing in the '50's.

My sole experience with cooling towers and chillers are commercial units from 10 ton to 20,000 ton systems so my knowledge of residential “wet” condensers is comparatively low.

I’m guessing a cooling tower the size which would have been on your property (unless you live in a Philbrook size mansion) would have been an atmospheric draft wooden tower (i.e. no draft fan like on larger commercial units) but would have had a basin and pump to pump the water back to the top of the tower where it could atomize, evaporate, and cool.  It would have a float type mechanical water make up valve in the basin of the tower so only fresh water, and not recirculating water would have been in the pipe from the house, really no need for a back flow preventer in that case.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #646 on: July 23, 2017, 08:35:24 pm »

Backflow preventer maybe if connected to the city water lines - in addition to the float makeup valve.  Not sure they understood the water supply contamination possibilities very well back when that was installed.  That would be similar to swimming pool in terms of maintenance - different chemicals, but treatment would have been required to keep the chemistry proper.

Can you tell how big the water tower would have been from where it was?  I would guess something maybe the size a few of the old time swamp coolers might have been enough.  Maybe 6' x 6' x 6' - ish.... Maybe a little bigger.??

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:38:33 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #647 on: July 23, 2017, 09:08:41 pm »

Backflow preventer maybe if connected to the city water lines - in addition to the float makeup valve.  Not sure they understood the water supply contamination possibilities very well back when that was installed.  That would be similar to swimming pool in terms of maintenance - different chemicals, but treatment would have been required to keep the chemistry proper.

Can you tell how big the water tower would have been from where it was?  I would guess something maybe the size a few of the old time swamp coolers might have been enough.  Maybe 6' x 6' x 6' - ish.... Maybe a little bigger.??

I remember it was shaped like an upright refrigerator but larger.  A couple feet taller than me but I was smaller then as well.  Sat in the corner of the yard surrounded by a wire fence.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #648 on: August 01, 2017, 05:32:05 pm »

I love today's global cooling… I mean weather.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #649 on: August 01, 2017, 05:37:58 pm »

Common mistake. Climate is macro. Weather is micro.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #650 on: August 01, 2017, 05:39:36 pm »

Common mistake. Climate is macro. Weather is micro.

Yes, micro, like trumps hands.....
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #651 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:09 pm »

I love today's global cooling… I mean weather.

Cooler than normal weather does not enter into the models for climate change, only hotter than normal days count.  Washington and Oregon are presently having our normal (or maybe a bit warmer) August weather, proving beyond a doubt that Al Gore's Gulfstream causes global warming.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #652 on: August 02, 2017, 07:06:13 am »

Cooler than normal weather does not enter into the models for climate change, only hotter than normal days count.  Washington and Oregon are presently having our normal (or maybe a bit warmer) August weather, proving beyond a doubt that Al Gore's Gulfstream causes global warming.

Not sure if a joke, or gross ignorance.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #653 on: August 02, 2017, 08:42:28 am »

It's a heavy dependence on Fake Fox News Sound Bite Worldview....disguised as a joke.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #654 on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:12 am »

I was discussing with a guest the other day such issues.  Putting it into perspective, the current belief in global warming, climate change, or whatever we want to call it, is only about 25 or so years old.  It seems like a very young science with so many variables at work to be so absolute in its conclusions so as not to give any dissension credibility.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #655 on: August 02, 2017, 11:02:09 am »

I was discussing with a guest the other day such issues.  Putting it into perspective, the current belief in global warming, climate change, or whatever we want to call it, is only about 25 or so years old.  It seems like a very young science with so many variables at work to be so absolute in its conclusions so as not to give any dissension credibility.

The big difference that is highly visible between this warming/CO2 event and all the previous ones is the sequence.  The Vostok cores show us history for half a million years where temps and CO2 have gone up and down in a regular if not quite predictable pattern.  EACH of these events was led by temperature changing...meaning for whatever reason, temperature increased followed sometime later by increased CO2 levels.

THIS event is the exact opposite of that.  CO2 levels started rising followed by increases in temperature.  That one reason alone should not just give pause, but should be cause flashing red lights, screaming sirens, and blaring announcements from loudspeakers!   We have turned around 100% in the opposite direction from what is a natural, cyclical event of nature to the exact opposite!  Caused by man's activities.

Anyone not at least very concerned, either should be, or is a complete fool.

Not actually a belief - it is measurable data for 200+ years.  And the fact that CO2 is now at an average level of 400 ppm - about 100 ppm higher than any of the previous Vostok levels - puts another little alarm there.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:04:22 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #656 on: August 03, 2017, 04:03:43 am »

Years ago I pointed out some of the models show that Oklahomas weather could moderate once we shift to a more "tropic" zone.  Summers may not be as hot but winters will be warmer. 

2 things to point out though.

During the transition we could see wilder weather swings until whatever "new normal" sets in.

That new normal could either be us being Death Valley dry and with 120+ temps killing everything we have. Or Tropical with more rain and warm winters.

I am hoping for the latter. Would love to have palm trees and tropical plants in my yard year round!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #657 on: August 03, 2017, 09:02:07 am »

I was discussing with a guest the other day such issues.  Putting it into perspective, the current belief in global warming, climate change, or whatever we want to call it, is only about 25 or so years old.  It seems like a very young science with so many variables at work to be so absolute in its conclusions so as not to give any dissension credibility.

Um, no. Climate Science is hundreds of years old. The first prediction of global warming due to human caused CO2 dates to the late 19th century, almost 125 years ago, not 25 years ago.

https://skepticalscience.com/history-climate-science.html
https://history.aip.org/climate/timeline.htm

You are being lied to by the energy industry

Remember when oil drilling didn't cause earthquakes and smoking didn't cause cancer?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #658 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:40 am »

Remember when oil drilling didn't cause earthquakes and smoking didn't cause cancer?

You are reminding us what we have to look forward to if Trump is impeached - Mike Pence!   He still believes and spews the verbal vomit that smoking doesn't cause cancer!   Or any other disease or adverse reaction...

I would much rather have the old swamp than the new swamp....

One would have hoped, but we DID get fooled again...at least many of the weak minded did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYMD_W_r3Fg

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:30:14 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #659 on: August 03, 2017, 07:24:41 pm »

Would love to have palm trees and tropical plants in my yard year round!

I would like to have year 'round Tepin chile pepper plants.  They are grown in southern Texas as ornamental shrubs.  I like the peppers, little round ones the size of a green pea.  Yes, they are hot.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org