A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:45:20 am
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441363 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #630 on: August 04, 2015, 11:13:34 am »

Nothing to worry about, Pruitt's track record on lawsuits on behalf of the State of Oklahoma is about as good as Inhofe's arguments against Climate Change.

But the jackass keeps spending taxpayer money and wasting taxpayer time.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2017, 10:12:27 am »

Nothing to worry about, Pruitt's track record on lawsuits on behalf of the State of Oklahoma is about as good as Inhofe's arguments against Climate Change.

A process that would ordinarily take thousands of years — or more — happened in just a few months in 2016.

Climate Change Reroutes a Yukon River in a Geological Instant

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/science/climate-change-glacier-yukon-river.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #632 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:37 pm »

Many of you may also remember when the world was destroyed because the hole in the ozone. It was a very bad day.  https://realclimatescience.com/2017/07/twenty-five-years-since-the-ozone-hole-killed-us-all/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #633 on: July 19, 2017, 04:08:12 pm »

Many of you may also remember when the world was destroyed because the hole in the ozone. It was a very bad day.  https://realclimatescience.com/2017/07/twenty-five-years-since-the-ozone-hole-killed-us-all/

And we banned CFCs in 1987 leading it to recover. Science.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ozone-hole-was-super-scary-what-happened-it-180957775/

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #634 on: July 19, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »

Yeah, that pesky science and stuff...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #635 on: July 19, 2017, 08:47:27 pm »

Didn't read my link did ya...Not to worry. Saw this on drudge too. There's hope.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4710672/Man-wants-bring-BRAIN-DEAD-life.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #636 on: July 19, 2017, 09:28:50 pm »

Oh I read it, it's just bullish!t.

As always. I hope your judgement and research skills as a lawyer are better than this. Gullible idiots don't make good lawyers.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=49040

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #637 on: July 20, 2017, 10:40:43 am »

What is even more exciting is the R410a - the stuff we use today - is dramatically less Ozone unfriendly - but NOT completely!  And is a greenhouse gas, too!!  But fear not, intrepid Earthlings!!  Replacements for R410a are on the way, too!!  That WILL be more friendly to the Ozone!!  Less of a greenhouse gas!!  

But they are highly flammable...like propane!  Maybe more so - I think I read sometime in the near past that the flame speed is higher than propane - may be conflated memory, though.  Which is kind of ironic, because regular old propane makes a very good refrigerant!!   At least as good as most.  Maybe I will convert my A/C over for some long term testing...will keep you posted if I do!  Plus, if it does leak, you are gonna smell it WAY before it will blow up on you!  Like natural gas.  So at least there will be an early warning of impending doom!

And there is a "new" replacement for your old R22 system they are calling R22A that some are actually pushing!  As in heroin "pushers" - not to be confused with Heiron!  Not good.  It is highly flammable, too, but let's you get by with using the old equipment just a little bit longer...  The big issue I can see there is that after capacitors going out on all the motors in the system, leaks are probably the next biggest cause of  making your system not work.  That leak is most often going to be in the evaporator section - the coil inside your house.  Which strategically positions it in exactly the right place to blow up your house!   Moral to that story - bite the bullet and buy new equipment when the old craps out!

Well, I guess we could just go with water as refrigerant - yeah, that works - but it is horribly inefficient, takes very complicated machinery that would be difficult (impossible) to manufacture cost-effectively, and would cost more.  Much more.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:42:35 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #638 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:53 pm »

Well, I guess we could just go with water as refrigerant - yeah, that works - but it is horribly inefficient, takes very complicated machinery that would be difficult (impossible) to manufacture cost-effectively, and would cost more.  Much more.

The house we bought in midtown actually had a water cooling tower in the corner, fed by pipes to the compressor shed that ran on 3-phase power.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #639 on: July 20, 2017, 01:58:04 pm »

The house we bought in midtown actually had a water cooling tower in the corner, fed by pipes to the compressor shed that ran on 3-phase power.

Chiller setup.  Or water source heat pump.  Tower inside??  That is strange in residential, but a lot of tall commercial buildings will do that just because they can't use the roof or ground around it.  Think New York Skyscrapers.  Entire floors dedicated to cooling/heating with vents out the side wall for air exchange.

I have a small portable A/C unit by Whynter that works like a charm - standard method, but has two hoses connected to plate that mounts in window for air to blow across the condenser coil.  Very efficient!  Also has heat pump function!

3 phase is good!   I love 3 phase for everything.  Am planning to replace table saw motor with 3 ph and put a variable speed drive on it. 

Ammonia is really good, but probably even more toxic than some of the newer refrigerants - not from poison point of view so much as oxygen displacement (suffocation)....

The one I am talking about uses water as the refrigerant - special compressor, condenser, evaporator - a lab curiosity, but it does seem to work...not practical.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #640 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:51 pm »

I didn't even think 3-phase power was allowed in private residential buildings?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #641 on: July 20, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »

Codes allow, but it will be very much more expensive than single phase.  A VFD on point uses for equipment would cost much less - 220vac converted to 3ph.  If the power company will even let you do that....haven't asked PSO, but since I have it in my shop, don't really need it in the house...well, except for air conditioning...that would be nice!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2017, 06:08:44 pm »

Our rental house in Wedgwood at 21st & Yale has a three phase A/C system.  It was built in 1959 and I’m told that was not terribly uncommon back then.

Not sure what ‘hood Patric lives in but a cooling tower for the condenser would have been pretty old school and likely would have been a larger system.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TeeDub
« Reply #643 on: July 21, 2017, 07:59:58 pm »

You could always just use a swamp cooler.   Doesn't work well in higher humidity areas like Tulsa.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #644 on: July 21, 2017, 11:39:46 pm »

Our rental house in Wedgwood at 21st & Yale has a three phase A/C system.  It was built in 1959 and I’m told that was not terribly uncommon back then.

Not sure what ‘hood Patric lives in but a cooling tower for the condenser would have been pretty old school and likely would have been a larger system.

The 3-phase went away when AEP rebuilt the overhead wiring for my neighborhood after the '07-08 ice storm.
The compressor shed looked like a storage shed, was loud and scary.  All that remains is the pipe stub where the house plumbing connected to the buried water lines that ran between the compressor and the water tower.  I dont know if there was any sort of backflow protection or if that was a thing in the '50's.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org