A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:09 pm
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441408 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2014, 10:20:31 am »

Swake, people who are absolutely convinced their actions are contributing to AGW need to start acting on it if they feel so strongly instead of sitting around blathering about it.  The the most irritating part of it is the people I personally know who talk loudest about AGW lead the least sustainable lifestyles.  Start walking, riding your bike, and taking public transit, buy an electric car.  Install wind and solar power on your house.  Grow/raise as much of your own food as possible. 

I believe there is climate change, in fact, most educated people do.  The climate has always changed and evolved on earth.  I believe some of it, such as heat islands, are most definitely the result of human activity.  It’s impossible to believe that there hasn’t been some change to the overall climate since the start of the industrial revolution purely based on increased emissions and waste BTU’s going into the atmosphere.

Here’s where I depart from your dogma:  Panic and outright lies induced by forced conclusions and political agendas for power and monetary gain. 

What public transit would that be...??

Don't forget simple things like caulking windows and doors, etc.  That is something literally anyone can do for very little money and in the overall scheme of things would have at least as much impact as some of the other "bigger" things.  Add some insulation to the attic if one has a slightly higher level of 'mechanical' skills.  Add storm windows.  Change old windows to new efficient windows.  Change A/C to more efficient unit.  The costs go up, but so do the benefits.  Well, except for the A/C thing....if you currently have unit that works properly, it will always be less expensive total than replacing with a more efficient unit - but if it's broke and ya gotta buy one anyway, well swing for the fences!  Get the highest SEER you can!!  Even a 14 will provide visible results on your bill.

There are huge things that can be done, but our "deregulate everything" mentality won't force the issue and the companies involved claim "cost effective".  Very large, highly visible one is something talked about here before - losses in power transmission lines!  About 1/3 of the total power generated is lost in sending it from the generator to the next place in line.  Bigger conductors would have a cost - long term capital expense versus direct deduction today, so we gotta change the tax structure for this one.  Cutting losses by half would mean a much longer time until new power plant is needed, and how many $$ billion per plant?

And yeah, solar is NOW - not some nebulous time in the future - NOW - cost competitive with coal fired power plant capital costs.  And wind is obviously right there with it - especially for higher cost areas like west of here.

...forced conclusions and political agendas for power and monetary gain...

Funny, but I agree completely - and it's big oil that has controlled the agenda for a hundred years - just ask Jim Inhofe who he is beholden to!  And coal before and during most of that.  What is even "funnier" (as in bizarrely strange, warped, and twisted....) is that so many can't see that, or just deny it...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2014, 06:02:31 pm »

Where does NASA’s funding come from? 
Pretty much the same place a lot of college research funding comes from.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #557 on: November 19, 2014, 06:07:51 pm »

Why is that not an unexpected response, especially from you.
Because your condescending attitude allows you to discount anything you don't like.

Do you think that churning the emissions we've been churning into the atmosphere at the rates we have been is the answer?  Because if so, then I'll defer to your 'correctness'.  I sure would like to leave a somewhat liveable planet for future generations.
Do you really think that everyone who disagrees with "settled science" wants to turn the USA into China?  Wants to build new dirty coal plants without scrubbers, etc.  Wants to return to 10 MPG family cars? ...
I don't believe so.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #558 on: November 19, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »

South Park's global warming guy (strangely reminds of ____)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXmZ89eJMbA[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #559 on: November 19, 2014, 07:53:54 pm »

Do you really think that everyone who disagrees with "settled science" wants to turn the USA into China?  Wants to build new dirty coal plants without scrubbers, etc.  Wants to return to 10 MPG family cars? ...
I don't believe so.

Bush wanted to.  And especially wanted to prevent any new scrubbers that would take arsenic out.

And Limbaugh does want to return to 10 mpg family cars.  He says so regularly...

So according to your expressed beliefs right there with that post - you have been arguing against your own innermost true feelings.  And against the people that agree with you.  And for the people you don't believe in....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #560 on: November 20, 2014, 01:50:13 pm »

This might just sum it up as well as one could.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #561 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »

100% of scientists now agree climate change has at least slowed.  Duh... just like we have been talking about for months.  Media is either wrong (Faux) or slow.....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #562 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:13 pm »

100% of scientists now agree climate change has at least slowed.  Duh... just like we have been talking about for months.  Media is either wrong (Faux) or slow.....

I don’t think there’s that much consensus on it. 

Keep repeating the “consensus” lie and it doesn’t become any more true. (Ahem, Swake).

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #563 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:54 pm »

Will somebody raise the temperature of Lake Bixhoma. I am freezing over here...

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #564 on: November 24, 2014, 04:24:26 am »

Just an observation, unscientific of course, the weather in the US is going through cycles. The lake levels and snow pack at Mt. Shasta and Shasta Lake were/are at levels not seen in the last 10 years. There are parts of Shasta Lake that you can walk across right now, and in September, Mt. Shasta had very little snow pack. Last weekend, Shasta Lake was still low, but Mt. Shasta and the surrounding peaks had a nice cover of snow. Here in the PNW the rainfall is on par, if not above normal amounts. Lakes Powell and Mead are also going through cycles where levels have been normal and below normal.(Yes some of the low levels have been severe, but there is a cycle to them)

I get the fact that I am talking about the US portion of climate change, and I'm not disputing the fact that there is a change in the climate globally, I just get tired of the Al Gore doomsday scenario. I still think that even though there have been numerous studies of ice cores, tree core samples, atmospheric, radar/infrared/global mapping by satellite that we are still in the infancy of the understanding of the way the earth works. And I am so tired of if you disagree with the "Climate Change" people, you are a denier homer and drink from the corporate kool aid.

There are as many studies about the melting of the Poles and Greenland, as their are studies that say it isn't.

It's as bad as if you disagree with the current administration, that you are a racist hater because Obama is black.

If you want to believe that "2012" and "The Day After Tomorrow" are actually documentaries, that's fine. Just don't crap all over the others that are still looking for scientific proof.

**off my soap box**
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:00:10 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #565 on: November 24, 2014, 07:53:01 am »

^^^flat earther.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #566 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:42 am »

I just get tired of the Al Gore doomsday scenario.
If you want to believe that "2012" and "The Day After Tomorrow"

Apparently you and perhaps 4 or 5 extreme right wing and left wing nut cases (oddly enough about half the earths population of those seem to be on here) are the only ones still reading/watching/thinking anything about, those things.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #567 on: November 24, 2014, 01:40:38 pm »

^^^flat earther.

BFF of Kurt Glassco. Wink
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #568 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »

I get the fact that I am talking about the US portion of climate change, and I'm not disputing the fact that there is a change in the climate globally, I just get tired of the Al Gore doomsday scenario. I still think that even though there have been numerous studies of ice cores, tree core samples, atmospheric, radar/infrared/global mapping by satellite that we are still in the infancy of the understanding of the way the earth works. And I am so tired of if you disagree with the "Climate Change" people, you are a denier homer and drink from the corporate kool aid.

There are as many studies about the melting of the Poles and Greenland, as their are studies that say it isn't.

It's as bad as if you disagree with the current administration, that you are a racist hater because Obama is black.

If you want to believe that "2012" and "The Day After Tomorrow" are actually documentaries, that's fine. Just don't crap all over the others that are still looking for scientific proof.

**off my soap box**

Well said, thank you!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #569 on: December 01, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »

Will somebody raise the temperature of Lake Bixhoma. I am freezing over here...

Stop swimming until next summer....

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org