A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:13:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441319 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #465 on: November 11, 2014, 07:23:01 pm »

It's that time of year again...

Those states are South Carolina, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, and Arizona. While it’s still very early, the 10-day forecast shows a potential major snowstorm for the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states late next week.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2014/11/only-6-states-not-expecting-snow-in-the-coming-week/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:22 pm »

I will try from fighting this whole battle again. It is not about air temperature or snowfall. It is about the ocean temperature. The Earth is 74% water. Hotter oceans cause climate extremes. And yes, we will still have some seasonal cold weather, but of the fifteen hottest calendar years, 13 of them have been from 2001 to 2013.

But I really know that you climate deniers will never be convinced.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2014, 08:41:18 pm »

Well, if you ever test drive one of the new Audi, Mercedes, ore even Hyundai, I'd say GM is about 7-8 years behind. The voice controls are almost conversational and the displays are very intuitive.

Does that mean a C300 isn't a real Mercedes??  Friend took me for a ride in one about a week ago (2013).  Just another car....seats were reasonably comfortable for a small car...probably on a par with a Ford Fusion.

Way too much emphasis on electronics in all new cars.  Understandable due to the massive margins involved for adding all that "goo".... but leaves way too many opportunities for failure and VERY expensive repairs in a relatively short time!!  And then after just a few years, replacement parts are discontinued leaving one up the creek without a paddle....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #468 on: November 11, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »

I will try from fighting this whole battle again. It is not about air temperature or snowfall. It is about the ocean temperature. The Earth is 74% water. Hotter oceans cause climate extremes. And yes, we will still have some seasonal cold weather, but of the fifteen hottest calendar years, 13 of them have been from 2001 to 2013.

And July was one of the coldest ever.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/polar-invasion-july-record-cold-temperatures-20140716
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #469 on: November 11, 2014, 09:26:32 pm »

Country <> Global...  you know?  That part of phrase so vilified by the flat-earthers "Global warming".

United States doesn't equal the world.  No matter how much isolationists would like it to be.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/7

If you don't want to click the link, I'll spare you....the highlight of the article reads:

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for July 2014 was the fourth highest on record for July, at 0.64°C (1.15°F) above the 20th century average of 15.8°C (60.4°F).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:28:11 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #470 on: November 11, 2014, 10:13:20 pm »

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for July 2014 was the fourth highest on record for July, at 0.64°C (1.15°F) above the 20th century average of 15.8°C (60.4°F).

So it wasn't the highest.

Let's see what happens next July.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:35 pm »

Relax RM, just having fun with this thread. I will not change your mind, and you won't change mine. Now, give me what for in here or some other thread..

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:02 am »

So it wasn't the highest.

Let's see what happens next July.

The temperature has been higher than average for quite some time now.

http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/detect/global-temps.shtml

NASA scientists say 2013 tied with 2009 and 2006 for the seventh warmest year since 1880, continuing a long-term trend of rising global temperatures. With the exception of 1998, the 10 warmest years in the 134-year record all have occurred since 2000, with 2010 and 2005 ranking as the warmest years on record. NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) analyzes global surface temperatures on an ongoing basis. The analysis of 2013 data shows how Earth continues to experience temperatures warmer than those measured several decades ago.

(NASA Press Release, 1/21/2014).

But phfftttt...they're just facts.  They can be easily ignored.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:09:33 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2014, 07:40:37 am »

The temperature has been higher than average for quite some time now.

And now from a different end of the world:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=82160

The map above shows sea ice extent around Antarctica on September 22, 2013, when ice covered more of the Southern Ocean than at any other time in the satellite record. The map is based data from the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer 2 (AMSR2) sensor on Japan’s Global Change Observation Mission 1st-Water (GCOM-W1) satellite. Land is dark gray, and ice shelves—which are attached to land-based glaciers but floating on the ocean—are light gray. The yellow outline shows the median sea ice distribution for September from 1981 to 2000. Sea ice extent is defined as the total area in which the ice concentration is at least 15 percent.

Antarctic sea ice cover reaches its minimum extent each year in February or March; the ice cover then grows until reaching its maximum extent in September or October. The graph above shows the maximum extent for each September since 1979 in millions of square kilometers. There is variability from year to year, though the overall trend shows growth of about 1.5 percent per decade.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2014, 07:46:08 am »

And now from a different end of the world:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=82160

The map above shows sea ice extent around Antarctica on September 22, 2013, when ice covered more of the Southern Ocean than at any other time in the satellite record. The map is based data from the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer 2 (AMSR2) sensor on Japan’s Global Change Observation Mission 1st-Water (GCOM-W1) satellite. Land is dark gray, and ice shelves—which are attached to land-based glaciers but floating on the ocean—are light gray. The yellow outline shows the median sea ice distribution for September from 1981 to 2000. Sea ice extent is defined as the total area in which the ice concentration is at least 15 percent.

Antarctic sea ice cover reaches its minimum extent each year in February or March; the ice cover then grows until reaching its maximum extent in September or October. The graph above shows the maximum extent for each September since 1979 in millions of square kilometers. There is variability from year to year, though the overall trend shows growth of about 1.5 percent per decade.

Yeah, never mind that the world's top scientists don't dispute that climate change is happening.  But once again, pfffft...facts.

Roll Eyes

http://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2014, 09:04:01 am »

Yeah, never mind that the world's top scientists don't dispute that climate change is happening.  But once again, pfffft...facts.

Roll Eyes

http://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

I bet if you asked, 9 out of 10 chiropractors would agree that everyone should visit the chiropractor regularly.

Climate Science is dependent on climate change, therefore the data will always provide for it, sometimes at any cost.  For government, it has become more of a tool than a science. 

pfffft...reality.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2014, 11:47:41 am »

Good thing about science, but not such a good thing about the reality of that science!  Deep caca for our kids and grandkids....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #477 on: November 12, 2014, 12:12:54 pm »

People who Fox News won't change the minds of people who science.

People who science won't change the minds of people who FOX news until it's too late.

We can all move on from here.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #478 on: November 12, 2014, 04:13:28 pm »

Science is nowhere close to an absolute truth.  Claims of science are continually proven wrong and they evolve.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that we have better data collection methods for global temperatures today than 20 or 30 years ago?  That alone could account for anomalies in data, if there were parts of the globe we were not getting accurate data from before.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #479 on: November 12, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »

Science is nowhere close to an absolute truth.  Claims of science are continually proven wrong and they evolve.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that we have better data collection methods for global temperatures today than 20 or 30 years ago?  That alone could account for anomalies in data, if there were parts of the globe we were not getting accurate data from before.

You can tell yourself whatever it takes to make you feel better over ignoring science for "what ifs?"

99% of the real experts are sure of man made climate change and you are choosing to disagree with no facts and no supporting arguments. It's ok, that's your choice. Just be aware you are now hanging out with the truthers, the birthers, the anti-vaccers, the evolution deniers and all the conspiracy nuts that tell themselves whatever it is that makes them ignore science and facts for the bullsh!t stories they read on the internets.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org