A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:03:48 pm
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441402 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #450 on: September 29, 2014, 01:33:57 pm »

I am a digital idiot. Can someone explain what an iPhone can do that my Samsung Note 3 can't do?

Less.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »

I am a digital idiot. Can someone explain what an iPhone can do that my Samsung Note 3 can't do?

Absolutely nothing.  It can however now do things that your Samsung has been able to do for quite some time. Your old Note 3 will give you more battery life under normal use too.

In fact, battery life is one of my main concerns when purchasing a com appliance. We've got some Motorolas that will go almost three days under regular use on a charge.  My HTC will give me two days if I remain in 4G land, but travel and roaming will drop me down to a little over 14hrs.  My old iPhone and the guys that still use iPhones around the office typically remain plugged in, and have become conditioned to keep a charger on them at all times.    

Tethering is another big issue. We use our phones for wireless internet all the time at trade shows and on-site presentations. Tethering on an iPhone will completely deplete the battery, even if plugged into the charger.  I think we were able to get about 3 hours out of one once at a trade show.  The HTCs, and Motorolas don't seem to have much more of a drain when tethering as normal data use, and you can use them tethered all day long.  Samsungs do just slightly better than iPhones but really get HOT, like burn your hand hot!  I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 warp it's shell from tethering to a POS system at a show last year.  Phone was fine, just needed a new back panel.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »

Absolutely nothing.  It can however now do things that your Samsung has been able to do for quite some time. Your old Note 3 will give you more battery life under normal use too.

In fact, battery life is one of my main concerns when purchasing a com appliance. We've got some Motorolas that will go almost three days under regular use on a charge.  My HTC will give me two days if I remain in 4G land, but travel and roaming will drop me down to a little over 14hrs.  My old iPhone and the guys that still use iPhones around the office typically remain plugged in, and have become conditioned to keep a charger on them at all times.    

Tethering is another big issue. We use our phones for wireless internet all the time at trade shows and on-site presentations. Tethering on an iPhone will completely deplete the battery, even if plugged into the charger.  I think we were able to get about 3 hours out of one once at a trade show.  The HTCs, and Motorolas don't seem to have much more of a drain when tethering as normal data use, and you can use them tethered all day long.  Samsungs do just slightly better than iPhones but really get HOT, like burn your hand hot!  I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 warp it's shell from tethering to a POS system at a show last year.  Phone was fine, just needed a new back panel.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 1 that has a big add-on battery (5100 maH), and can usually get all day operation.  Tethering is very good with it, except for battery life, but the right charger can keep up with (charger from AT&T, high capacity).  Gets very warm but doesn't burn or melt....can easily hold in hand.

It has other issues from time to time, but have found that about 80% of them are due to AT&T.  Blech!!

Am going to try Verizon sim card with the phone to see if any better, but not expecting much.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2014, 01:56:57 pm »

.....I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 warp it's shell from tethering to a POS system at a show last year.  Phone was fine, just needed a new back panel.

Interesting, I have an S5 for work and tethered at an event in Oklahoma City last month.  The phone got warm, but not excessively so.  Ran it most of the day tethered.  Maybe that was something they improved upon.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »

This is from Forbes, the news source du jour around here after it ran a story about how great Obama was vs. Regean.

The climate change community has reacted to this wreck of a policy not with second thoughts or openness to alternative frameworks, but with rage.  The fact that global warming has slowed or stopped, and that an increasing number of peer reviewed studies conclude that climate sensitivity is overestimated (meaning that the problem is either over-predicted or will be much slower in developing) is greeted with denunciations, and a shockingly shallow new refrain that “97 percent of scientists believe in climate change,” which is like saying that “100 percent of scientists believe in gravity” in response to any query about the mysteries of how gravity actually works.  When you point out the unreality of green energy dreams, you are met with foam-flecked denunciations of the Koch brothers.  In fact the opposition to the climateers is tiny by comparison to the resources deployed by the environmental establishment, not to mention the massive sympathy they receive from an uncritical media.  From the way people like Al Gore complain you’d think the climateers were up against the teachers union.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenhayward/2014/09/29/climate-change-has-jumped-the-shark/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #455 on: September 29, 2014, 07:39:57 pm »

Interesting, I have an S5 for work and tethered at an event in Oklahoma City last month.  The phone got warm, but not excessively so.  Ran it most of the day tethered.  Maybe that was something they improved upon.

I use my iphone 5 all the time with my laptop when traveling.  But I use the phone to create a local hotspot instead of tethering directly.   All our demo guys (and gals) use the iphone hotspot, and it seems to work fine for them also.   

I practically live in Starbucks when traveling, and I've found I get better connectivity with the iphone hotspot than via the Starbucks wifi.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #456 on: September 29, 2014, 08:20:46 pm »

I use my iphone 5 all the time with my laptop when traveling.  But I use the phone to create a local hotspot instead of tethering directly.   All our demo guys (and gals) use the iphone hotspot, and it seems to work fine for them also.   

I practically live in Starbucks when traveling, and I've found I get better connectivity with the iphone hotspot than via the Starbucks wifi.

For me, tethering = local hotspot.  Should have clarified that.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #457 on: September 29, 2014, 08:56:15 pm »

Sounds like Gaspar’s got really hot.  Maybe tethering is leading to global warming.  Shocked

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #458 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:47 am »

Yeah.  Same here.  I don't know anyone who uses a cord any more.  That's so 2009.

rebound
City Father

« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:48 am »

Yeah.  Same here.  I don't know anyone who uses a cord any more.  That's so 2009.

I'm so old-school...    I tethered, with cord, for a few years.  Then about 4-5 years ago I moved over to a wireless card.  Then about three years ago work made us all choose between a dedicated card and the wireless hotspots.  The demo teams went to external hotspot devices, and then some over to using their iphones.  I just didn't trust the iphone, and was also worried about battery life, so was a little late to the party.  But I have not had any problems.  No heating issues, and battery life hasn't been an issue but for the most part I do keep it charging off the PC when set up the hot spot.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2014, 10:20:30 am »

GM's big thing now is select vehicles come with the option of in-vehicle MiFi... I guess for people who cant set it up on their smartphones but are willing to sign another 2-year data plan contract. 

If apple is three years behind android, where does this put GM?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2014, 11:44:09 am »

GM's big thing now is select vehicles come with the option of in-vehicle MiFi... I guess for people who cant set it up on their smartphones but are willing to sign another 2-year data plan contract. 

If apple is three years behind android, where does this put GM?

Well, if you ever test drive one of the new Audi, Mercedes, ore even Hyundai, I'd say GM is about 7-8 years behind. The voice controls are almost conversational and the displays are very intuitive.

The Sync system in the Fords is nice, but the voice controls it that are still archaic (perhaps 3 years behind).  You get a ton of options with display on the Fords, and rarely need to take your eyes of the road to find something.

Chrisler is still in bracing for Y2K.  Rented an Avenger to drive from Vegas to Palm Springs CA a few months ago (trade show to trade show).  Had about 1,700 miles on it when I got it.  Crappy tech and cabin appointments.  It seems they spent a lot of energy making the weak little engine sound mean, instead of any real refinements. By the time I turned it in at the airport, almost nothing worked properly, and the CV joints were popping around corners.  Reminded me of an 80's Pontiac.  I can see why they discontinued them.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »

Well, if you ever test drive one of the new Audi, Mercedes, ore even Hyundai, I'd say GM is about 7-8 years behind. The voice controls are almost conversational and the displays are very intuitive.

The Sync system in the Fords is nice, but the voice controls it that are still archaic (perhaps 3 years behind).  You get a ton of options with display on the Fords, and rarely need to take your eyes of the road to find something.

Chrisler is still in bracing for Y2K.  Rented an Avenger to drive from Vegas to Palm Springs CA a few months ago (trade show to trade show).  Had about 1,700 miles on it when I got it.  Crappy tech and cabin appointments.  It seems they spent a lot of energy making the weak little engine sound mean, instead of any real refinements. By the time I turned it in at the airport, almost nothing worked properly, and the CV joints were popping around corners.  Reminded me of an 80's Pontiac.  I can see why they discontinued them.

Might help if you didn’t treat it like a rental car!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2014, 01:25:56 pm »

Might help if you didn’t treat it like a rental car!

No kidding!  Smiley

My last two cars have both been Avengers and the only problem I had with the first one was a leaking radiator well within the limits of the warranty.  My new one - knock on wood.  I'm single though, so I don't need to worry about family aside from being able to transport mom back and forth to various doctor appointments.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2014, 01:51:56 pm »

Had a Grand Caravan for a short little trip to Dallas last week.  Low miles, too.  Wasn't too bad...everything seemed to function and the cup holder count was just right.  Engine SCREAMED trying to get up to highway speed!! 

Biggest complaint was minor - the seats could have been better, but were much better than average newer car.  I have talked to some of the seat designers (both JCI and Lear) about that and they say it's because "everyone" wants "sporty" seating.  I call BS on that nonsense!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org