A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:13 am
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441311 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »

That would be an awesome tourist expedition to sell.

It would...maybe offer prizes as part of the tour package to who can go the furthest...

But then there are all those low water dams to get around....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2014, 12:53:05 pm »

Probably not.  My IT director is an "Idiot" too. We have experience porting applications to both platforms (also Windows phone/tablets).  Can't touch Android for price, reliability, battery life, and a whole host of other factors related to managing the devices on the network.

But then again, we're "Idiots" so there is that.

So platform fragmentation, lagging app development and most of all security aren’t important to your org?

Good to know.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #437 on: September 26, 2014, 01:00:17 pm »

So platform fragmentation, lagging app development and most of all security aren’t important to your org?

Good to know.

I suppose that would be a huge concern if any of that was true.  Cheesy

Just do what you do.  This is not a good road for you to be on.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #438 on: September 26, 2014, 01:03:26 pm »

Probably not.  My IT director is an "Idiot" too. We have experience porting applications to both platforms (also Windows phone/tablets).  Can't touch Android for price, reliability, battery life, and a whole host of other factors related to managing the devices on the network.

But then again, we're "Idiots" so there is that.

I read a review (I think it was EE Times...?) and they were talking about how great it is that Apple finally got all the features that Android has...since 2012.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #439 on: September 26, 2014, 01:10:33 pm »

I read a review (I think it was EE Times...?) and they were talking about how great it is that Apple finally got all the features that Android has...since 2012.

I think the Near Field Communicates is the biggest.  I got a kick out of the "Revolutionary new Apple Pay" that we've been using on Android devices for a couple of years now.  We also have the ability to use it for mobile inventory tags that would require a plug-in fob and custom app on an iOS device.  Now it will likely be a few more years before Apple allows the NFC on their devices to be capable of all of the functions that Android and even Windows allows.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #440 on: September 26, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »

I suppose that would be a huge concern if any of that was true.  Cheesy

Just do what you do.  This is not a good road for you to be on.

Good to know you are up to date on these things.

So tell me, with most of the best and secure Android tablets today being made by Samsung, how are you going to handle them moving to Tizen? What are your plans for the coming fragmentation of Android into more and more sealed off proprietary forks like what Amazon is doing with the Fire?

What's your company's BYOD policy?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:12:38 pm by swake » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #441 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:29 pm »

So tell me, with most of the best and secure Android tablets today being made by Samsung, how are you going to handle them moving to Tizen? What are your plans for the coming fragmentation of Android into more and more sealed off proprietary forks like what Amazon is doing with the Fire?

Yeah...about that secure thing.... don't really think they are all that secure yet. 

I am curious how Samsung moving to their own in-house microprocessor is gonna affect stuff.  The s5 has several variants, but the ones that interest me most are the Qualcomm (Snapdragon) versus Samsung processor (Exynos 5 Octa) versions.  Qualcomm version has them beat so far on power/performance/battery life, but Samsung is really big into semiconductors and should be able to easily close that gap.  Gonna have to buy one soon for SWMBO and it will have to be Qualcomm version right now....if she will put up with the size of it.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #442 on: September 26, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »

Cheesy Don't live in India or China, so don't care about Samsung experimenting with OSOS.  Manufacturers do that all the time.

NOT being sealed off is what has helped the Android market eclipse all others, and the trend now is towards more of the Google core devices. 

We do not dictate the devices our clients use, we simply provide recommendations and information on the limitations each system will present them with.  Of course the typically pay us to support them, so if the do opt for an iOS environment, that's their decision. It just means it will cost them more.

Can we stop playing this game now?

(DISCLAIMER: The graph above only represents 15 years of data, and does not represent mobile OS market performance over the past century.)

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #443 on: September 26, 2014, 02:13:50 pm »

NOT being sealed off is what has helped the Android market eclipse all others,

Cost, low end and "ultra" low end.

That was why Apple tried the C.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #444 on: September 26, 2014, 03:10:11 pm »

It would...maybe offer prizes as part of the tour package to who can go the furthest...

But then there are all those low water dams to get around....

If I'm not mistaken there are no LWD from north of the Sacramento airport to the bay. Fun business might be river cruises from Sacramento to Fisherman's Wharf. Do a down and back from downtown Sacramento.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #445 on: September 29, 2014, 12:43:09 pm »

If I'm not mistaken there are no LWD from north of the Sacramento airport to the bay. Fun business might be river cruises from Sacramento to Fisherman's Wharf. Do a down and back from downtown Sacramento.

Probably not...Sac is only about 15 feet above sea level or so....  Back in 80's I did some flowmeter work with their state water dept - they would stock streams in the area, go down to the end of the river and catch the fish that made it that far, then haul them in trucks back upstream to restock.  Apparently made some great fishing, but seems odd on the face of it.  The dept guys talked about fish ladders, but didn't specifically mention the canal....

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #446 on: September 29, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »

I am a digital idiot. Can someone explain what an iPhone can do that my Samsung Note 3 can't do?

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #447 on: September 29, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »

I am a digital idiot. Can someone explain what an iPhone can do that my Samsung Note 3 can't do?

Compel you to use your data plan to send pictures/music/etc. to the phone 3 feet from you when you could just do it with Bluetooth.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #448 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »

Compel you to use your data plan to send pictures/music/etc. to the phone 3 feet from you when you could just do it with Bluetooth.

Or in the case of most newer Androids, NFC.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #449 on: September 29, 2014, 01:15:36 pm »

Makes sure my life is completely free of Teh Microsoftz.  Well with the exception of office.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org