A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:08 am
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441315 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »

Did you read the article?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2014, 02:57:27 pm »

It's now accepted as Climate Change (though it has had many names), a marvelous jewel of global politics that that has been around since the late 60's, and will likely be around until after we all die.

For the politician it promises power through through the fear of death, and increased tax revenue to provide a means to reward for campaign support.

For the academic it promises a never-ending fountain of grant money for research that leads to supportive conclusions.

For the business person, it offers a never-ending landscape of products and services to be paid in part with the diverted economic production granted from the politician.

You have to admire its perfection, because it is completely amebic, and offers no real successful perspective for refutation. Perhaps some day it will succumb to rust, but not in our lifetime.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »

I would maybe be worried if there was a specific weather phenomenon attached with global whatever. Instead, it doesn't matter what is happening outside because it is global whatever. Too hot, global whatever. More hurricanes? Less hurricanes? More snow? Polar vortex? All is because of global whatever. When you point out that the predictions do not come to pass? Well, what's global whatever for ya. It's just a joke.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2014, 08:40:19 pm »

It's now accepted as Climate Change (though it has had many names), a marvelous jewel of global politics that that has been around since the late 60's, and will likely be around until after we all die.

For the politician it promises power through through the fear of death, and increased tax revenue to provide a means to reward for campaign support.

For the academic it promises a never-ending fountain of grant money for research that leads to supportive conclusions.

For the business person, it offers a never-ending landscape of products and services to be paid in part with the diverted economic production granted from the politician.

You have to admire its perfection, because it is completely amebic, and offers no real successful perspective for refutation. Perhaps some day it will succumb to rust, but not in our lifetime.

Come on GASpar, you couldn’t be such a simpleton to believe that scientists who support the global warming hypothesis might be influenced by money like the scientists on the payroll of Big Oil on the anti side.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2014, 09:31:33 pm »

All hail Global Warming Global Climate Change K J whatever

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2014, 08:05:52 am »

I would maybe be worried if there was a specific weather phenomenon attached with global whatever. Instead, it doesn't matter what is happening outside because it is global whatever. Too hot, global whatever. More hurricanes? Less hurricanes? More snow? Polar vortex? All is because of global whatever. When you point out that the predictions do not come to pass? Well, what's global whatever for ya. It's just a joke.

Two specifics for you;

1.  Temperature about 2 degrees higher over the last 100+ years - probably on a par with numbers from the last 4 ice age cycles.

2.  This is the "wild card" that should be of concern to everyone - average CO2 levels at 400 ppm.  Almost twice the number of the last 4 ice age cycles.  This is the one kicking all the models in the teeth.  And since it is so far out of position in timing and magnitude, should be raising some serious red flags and at least some tiny bit of caution.  Which it isn't,...human nature being what it is....

Even deniers should be able to understand that...and even the ones who are on big oil payrolls understand it, but just can't admit it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:04 am »

Two specifics for you;

1.  Temperature about 2 degrees higher over the last 100+ years - probably on a par with numbers from the last 4 ice age cycles.

With the staggering increase in BTU output over the last century due to industrialization and transportation, one would think temps would be higher than 2 degrees more if that were the driver.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2014, 02:22:51 pm »

With the staggering increase in BTU output over the last century due to industrialization and transportation, one would think temps would be higher than 2 degrees more if that were the driver.

That one is probably more subject to influences like we saw for about 10 years in the 00's....increased volcanic activity, more ash in the atmosphere, cooling....or in our case, more stable average temps/less heating.  More "outside" influences on temp than CO2.  Solar CME, volcanoes, probably even rain forest depletion, ice mass decreases/increases.  I think that is tougher to "trend" - except it is up.  Even 100 years is pretty short time frame - I think too short for sweeping statements right now, except for the one about 'up'.  The 400,000 years is good, but lousy granularity.

CO2 on the other hand....large and incontrovertible.  Based on the past, it should mean higher temperatures for a long, long time.  Then where are the bees gonna go for pollen??

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2014, 04:49:19 pm »

August and June-August global temperatures each reach record high, driven largely by record warm global oceans

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140918111917.htm

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2014, 09:18:33 am »

August and June-August global temperatures each reach record high, driven largely by record warm global oceans

Don't bother.. The idea of climate vs weather is too big.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #370 on: September 19, 2014, 10:31:09 am »

Think Jurassic....

Back to REALLY big reptiles!!

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2014, 11:13:54 am »

Think Jurassic....

Back to REALLY big reptiles!!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #372 on: September 19, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »

Bigger!!

Brontosaurus, etc.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #373 on: September 19, 2014, 04:00:42 pm »

Bigger!!

Brontosaurus, etc.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #374 on: September 19, 2014, 04:19:49 pm »

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org