A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:24:42 pm
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 444215 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2014, 07:42:40 am »

Wednesday's weather was strange. Wet, chilly, and just dreary. Is it the fault of global warming? Climate change? Polar vortex? Bush? Not sure.

Local weather is not climate. Q2 2014 was globally the hottest quarter on record.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/07/15/april_may_and_june_2014_is_the_warmest_three_month_period_ever.html

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2014, 08:01:00 am »

Local weather is not climate. Q2 2014 was globally the hottest quarter on record.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/07/15/april_may_and_june_2014_is_the_warmest_three_month_period_ever.html

I'm afraid until people stop believing the fact deniers on entertainment news shows, you're spitting in the wind.

Cave men rode triceratops to hunt tyrannosaurus rex's for sport.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:26 am »

Wednesday's weather was strange. Wet, chilly, and just dreary. Is it the fault of global warming? Climate change? Polar vortex? Bush? Not sure.

It's Inhofe and his ilk that use the term global warming.  Climate change is what is happening around us.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2014, 08:09:26 am »

It's Inhofe and his ilk that use the term global warming.  Climate change is what is happening around us.

It's funny that way.  Even if you use the term 'global warming' it's still the same.  Deniers don't understand that it's 'global' and not 'Murica Warming'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »

Oh I understand climate change. Everything that happens in the world, colder in one place and hotter in another, is all signs something is wrong. Is what is happening in Tulsa right now man's fault? Of course it is. Would it be happening if man was never in existence? Of course not. Perhaps I am just stuck in the 70s and the fear of an ice age.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2014, 04:31:19 pm »

Perhaps I am just stuck in the 70s and the fear of an ice age.

Obviously.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:22 pm »

Oh I understand climate change. Everything that happens in the world, colder in one place and hotter in another, is all signs something is wrong. Is what is happening in Tulsa right now man's fault? Of course it is. Would it be happening if man was never in existence? Of course not. Perhaps I am just stuck in the 70s and the fear of an ice age.

As the "good book" says - "Don't Panic!!"  (Hitchhikers guide....)  As long as you always have your towel, it's gonna be ok!!  The earth is easily able to deal with the stuff we have thrown at it - it has recovered from much worse many times over - the only question is whether WE will be along for that part of the ride....   

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2014, 06:06:00 pm »

As the "good book" says - "Don't Panic!!"  (Hitchhikers guide....)  As long as you always have your towel, it's gonna be ok!!  The earth is easily able to deal with the stuff we have thrown at it - it has recovered from much worse many times over - the only question is whether WE will be along for that part of the ride....   

Good point. But how will we ever justify the need for carbon credits, no more coal, etc. if the world can recover? More importantly, why should we continue to complain about climate change or blaming Bush for the ice caps melting? And don't get me started on how Faux News and the Murdochian plot is set to destroy the environment here in Tulsa.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2014, 06:23:40 pm »

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer if the ground I'm presently standing on would remain above sea level. Pretty sure the several million folks in the area would as well, as would their insurance companies.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »

Good point. But how will we ever justify the need for carbon credits, no more coal, etc. if the world can recover? More importantly, why should we continue to complain about climate change or blaming Bush for the ice caps melting? And don't get me started on how Faux News and the Murdochian plot is set to destroy the environment here in Tulsa.

Because the time frame of that recovery is likely outside of the scope of our survival on this planet.  It takes a long time to bind up free carbon into organic matter, then place it in long term storage - what took tens or hundreds of millions of years to store has seen massive release in just 200 years.  At the same time we are losing the single most effective carbon binding mechanism on the planet...the Amazon rain forest.

We know for a fact that humans of several varieties have been subject to extinction events on more than one occasion.  Homo Sapiens is the one that made it through the 'mine field' to where we are today.  Well, plus a little Neanderthal DNA that hitched a ride....can you imagine the social trauma and drama when the first mixed species couple showed up for the holidays...!!??   Our society has issues with mixed races, let alone species.   (I don't suppose you have a heavy brow ridge, with sloping forehead...??)   But I digress.... How many were related to climate issues beyond our control.??   This one is not beyond our control...well, mostly it probably is now, but it was not to begin with!!

Was listening to Herman Cain the other morning - Wednesday - and he was going on with his normal batch-o-carp, when he said something about how climate change was not "settled science" - his first lie, it is.  Then went on to say that over half of the scientists disagree with the science - his second lie, they don't.  There are only about 3 who still put up the lies and they are all working at big oil companies.  Why would a good, upstanding, upright, honest, Christian man like he so earnestly claims to be....lie??  

So, why not remove ANY doubt whatsoever from the discussion and make good on the promise of fusion energy?  Problems ALL solved for at least our expected tenure on the planet.  No more questions or doubt or complaints possible.  We eliminate the need for carbon credits and coal and all that jazz.  Well, except for that one nagging little problem that trumps all others.  You drifted all around the main issue without touching on it...without the contention/confrontation/discussion of oil versus natural gas versus biofuels, etc, there is no opportunity for movement of money.  And when there IS movement of money, there is opportunity to let a little bit (how about 10%??) "stick" to all the hands it passes through.  So when there is NO movement of money, there is no opportunity to let a little bit 'stick'.... Nor opportunities for accumulation of power.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:42:57 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #355 on: August 26, 2014, 01:08:26 pm »

Just when you thought the climate humpers could not get any more bizarre, this happens:

In his black-and-white photography series "Scared Scientists," Nick Bowers captures a raw element not often associated with scientific knowledge. For the series, Bowers interviewed a selection of scientists in varying fields, capturing the frightened looks on their faces while they contemplated their findings. The photos are minimalist but intense, each wrinkle and crease pointing to a human unease we can all connect with.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/25/nick-bowers_n_5701202.html?utm_hp_ref=tw
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:11:12 pm by guido911 » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »

Just when you thought the climate humpers could not get any more bizarre, this happens:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/25/nick-bowers_n_5701202.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Wow.  That’s some serious fear.  Note my "underwhelmededness."

Give a little Ex-Lax to a couple of those scientists and they should look just fine.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #358 on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:35 pm »

I know how to start a fire with an ice cube.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #359 on: September 17, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »

"The Day After Tomorrow".

A Roland Emmerich film.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org