A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:26:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441487 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2012, 11:07:51 am »

He can barely land a plane safely, the last thing we want is for him to drop anything from a plane.

He can drop his senate seat from a plane.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:53 am »

He can drop his senate seat from a plane.

I wish he would.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:55 am »

Then send out some real estate people so we can start developing the area...

Find some Vikings (Norse type).  They know how to do it since they did hundreds of years ago before the ice got too thick.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:04 pm »

Find some Vikings (Norse type).  They know how to do it since they did hundreds of years ago before the ice got too thick.

One of the suggestions as to why the Vikings disappeared from that area is that they steadfastly refused to mix with the indigenous peoples who had lived there for generations before their arrival. They considered them inferior. As such, they didn't learn how to cope with the climate changes of that time. "We're by Oden Vikings for Oden's sake. We don't need no stinkin' help!" Gives you pause.

onward...through the fog
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2012, 01:27:15 pm »

One of the suggestions as to why the Vikings disappeared from that area is that they steadfastly refused to mix with the indigenous peoples who had lived there for generations before their arrival. They considered them inferior. As such, they didn't learn how to cope with the climate changes of that time. "We're by Oden Vikings for Oden's sake. We don't need no stinkin' help!" Gives you pause.

Vikings are racist!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:55:38 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:31 pm »

Vikings are raciest!

Don't let Capitol One know!

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #276 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

In other news:

This much melted:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SuJ1sFn_B0[/youtube]

Seriously, though, the big issue is that this much melting will very likely lead to at least a temporary acceleration of the ice sheet's movement into the ocean. When the water melts up on top of the glacier, it usually doesn't just run off on the surface, it usually finds faults and fissures through which to descend below the ice sheet, where the water then lubricates the ice sheet allowing it to flow more quickly. Not to mention the melting begetting further melting because of albedo changes. Open water absorbs most of the solar energy that hits it. Ice reflects most of the solar energy that hits it. You think about it.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:09 pm »

I have always joked that in the east and west you talk politics. But it seems taboo in Oklahoma. Well, next time someone brings up the weather tell them you don't talk politics...because that's what the subject has become.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtoo1ZWCUw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

The next stage will be Dustbowlification....and food security. http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2011/10/26/353997/nature-dust-bowlification-food-insecurity/

I can live on beans and rice...can you? Drought me?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »

It may come as little surprise to the nation’s corn farmers or resort operators, but the official statistics are in: July was the hottest month in the lower 48 states since the government began keeping temperature records in 1895.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/science/earth/july-was-hottest-month-ever-recorded-in-us.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2012, 07:12:32 pm »

Tell me this isnt playing out like some Roland Emmerich movie?

It snowed in Africa:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=59tbSy4LlwM[/youtube]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

And while Ryan is calling wind energy subsidies "crony capitalism and corporate welfare" and calling green energy a "fad."  (Wonder what oil/coal/nuclear subsidies would be then?), we have reality again poking it's ugly little head into the room....

Since 2008 wind power output has jumped from 25-gigawatts to 50-gigawatts, or enough to now power 15 million homes, according to the American Wind Energy Association. The wind energy sector currently employs 37,000 workers nationwide including 7,000 jobs in Iowa and 5,000 in Colorado.

(Subsidy is about $0.02 per kilowatt hour generated.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2012, 01:02:21 pm »

And while Ryan is calling wind energy subsidies "crony capitalism and corporate welfare" and calling green energy a "fad."  (Wonder what oil/coal/nuclear subsidies would be then?), we have reality again poking it's ugly little head into the room....

Since 2008 wind power output has jumped from 25-gigawatts to 50-gigawatts, or enough to now power 15 million homes, according to the American Wind Energy Association. The wind energy sector currently employs 37,000 workers nationwide including 7,000 jobs in Iowa and 5,000 in Colorado.

(Subsidy is about $0.02 per kilowatt hour generated.)

Less the 180 or so jobs DMI just announced they are cutting with the shuttering of their five year old Tulsa plant.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:55 pm »

Less the 180 or so jobs DMI just announced they are cutting with the shuttering of their five year old Tulsa plant.

Ebb and flow.

Shows how badly corrupted our entire economy is by the "Harvard School of Business" model.  2 cents per kwh credit makes a whole industry fold?  (Plus the crash of natural gas prices.)  No way there could be a contrived connection between gas price and credit expiration, could there?

Wind will be back sooner than later - now, will DMI have the foresight to keep that plant for re-opening time?  Apparently not.

Interesting - their website still shows openings at Tulsa plant.  Seems kind of odd.  Guess it would be a bad time to be a welder in Tulsa.

Wonder who is going to buy that facility....?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »

Ebb and flow.

Shows how badly corrupted our entire economy is by the "Harvard School of Business" model.  2 cents per kwh credit makes a whole industry fold?  (Plus the crash of natural gas prices.)  No way there could be a contrived connection between gas price and credit expiration, could there?

Wind will be back sooner than later - now, will DMI have the foresight to keep that plant for re-opening time?  Apparently not.

Interesting - their website still shows openings at Tulsa plant.  Seems kind of odd.  Guess it would be a bad time to be a welder in Tulsa.

Wonder who is going to buy that facility....?

It’s never a bad time to be a welder in Tulsa unless multiple job opportunities pisses you off.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »

Wind Energy is a loser....this country needs to get their technology priorities straight. Even Potus Obama is wrong when it comes to wind energy.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org