A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:23 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change/Global Weirding?  (Read 441458 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 02:45:27 pm »

Don't let that ever get away from you.

Bet yer azz I won't.  They've already tried it once.  I made it clear in no uncertain terms that I would make life for them hell if they did.  That meant loss of potential business for them.  I know many people whom I've referred to this dealer.  They didn't feel like losing the potential business.  They tried to up the price to 29.95.  That's when the swearwords came out.

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

I finally put my truck into semi-retirement Thursday before last.  Seems like each vehicle I've owned since the first new car I bought in 1982 7000 to 7500 has been the recommendation.  That's been several Fords, several Hondas, a VW, and now a Hyundai.  I notice though there's a "severe duty" recommendation from most manufacturers for filters and oil of 3000 to 3500.

I had guessed a 2000 to 3000 recommendation prior to the mid-50's as oil filter technology was fairly non-existant to ones made with horse hair.  Air cleaners were oil bath and then oiled wire mesh prior to paper pleated filters.  With the old Harleys I used to restore, oil changes and air filter service were supposed to be about 500 to 1000 miles.  However, pre-1965 on the big twin, excess crankcase pressure was used to spray oil on the primary drive chain (there's a chain which goes from the crank to the clutch hub) and there was a simple drip tube to allow excess oil in the primary chain cover to drip out on the ground.  More or less you simply kept adding oil to the bike.  Harley didn't offer an oil filter until 1947 and that was purely optional for many years.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2011, 03:15:23 pm »

I finally put my truck into semi-retirement Thursday before last.  Seems like each vehicle I've owned since the first new car I bought in 1982 7000 to 7500 has been the recommendation.  That's been several Fords, several Hondas, a VW, and now a Hyundai.  I notice though there's a "severe duty" recommendation from most manufacturers for filters and oil of 3000 to 3500.

I had guessed a 2000 to 3000 recommendation prior to the mid-50's as oil filter technology was fairly non-existant to ones made with horse hair.  Air cleaners were oil bath and then oiled wire mesh prior to paper pleated filters.  With the old Harleys I used to restore, oil changes and air filter service were supposed to be about 500 to 1000 miles.  However, pre-1965 on the big twin, excess crankcase pressure was used to spray oil on the primary drive chain (there's a chain which goes from the crank to the clutch hub) and there was a simple drip tube to allow excess oil in the primary chain cover to drip out on the ground.  More or less you simply kept adding oil to the bike.  Harley didn't offer an oil filter until 1947 and that was purely optional for many years.

I remember changing the oil on my dad's old 1963 3/4 ton Chevy pickup.  It had a 283 with an old oil-bath airfilter and the dropin style oil filter.  Weirdness, even for then.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2011, 06:29:21 pm »

I checked my 1963 Buick Shop Manual (the oldest one I have).  It recommends 60 days or 6000 miles on the oil and filter change.  I guess I just couldn't make myself wait that long. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2011, 09:39:35 am »

61 chevy 283 car had the cartridge oil filter, with a dry air filter.  I think they kept the oil air filter in pickups until 64/65 change over.

My Shovelhead says to change at 2500 miles.  And use HD filter (designed for low volume, high flow rate).  There is an alternate that will fit, but it is for something like an Austin America or something - still a high volume, low flow filter.  Tried them for a while, but didn't really feel "right". 

Have been using the diesel's oil in car, too.  Working well so far - started at 170,000 miles and now at 240,000.  Diesel at 245,000 also.  Biggest point is to get the better filters.  Used to use Fram long ago, until saw a "cut apart" side by side test of the different brands.  Never again.  Some versions are just about like putting a roll of toilet paper in the can.  Their high mileage premium filter is almost viable.  It is almost as good as the low end of the good ones.  (Wix being the most readily available of the better ones.)

Conan,
What oil did you use in the old HD's??  Have been using the HD oil and don't really like that - mainly due to price.  (right at 100,000 miles on the shovel).  Have used diesel oil quite a bit and it seems to do well.  Valvoline heavy duty and Delvac.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2011, 11:42:35 am »

61 chevy 283 car had the cartridge oil filter, with a dry air filter.  I think they kept the oil air filter in pickups until 64/65 change over.

My Shovelhead says to change at 2500 miles.  And use HD filter (designed for low volume, high flow rate).  There is an alternate that will fit, but it is for something like an Austin America or something - still a high volume, low flow filter.  Tried them for a while, but didn't really feel "right".  

Have been using the diesel's oil in car, too.  Working well so far - started at 170,000 miles and now at 240,000.  Diesel at 245,000 also.  Biggest point is to get the better filters.  Used to use Fram long ago, until saw a "cut apart" side by side test of the different brands.  Never again.  Some versions are just about like putting a roll of toilet paper in the can.  Their high mileage premium filter is almost viable.  It is almost as good as the low end of the good ones.  (Wix being the most readily available of the better ones.)

Conan,
What oil did you use in the old HD's??  Have been using the HD oil and don't really like that - mainly due to price.  (right at 100,000 miles on the shovel).  Have used diesel oil quite a bit and it seems to do well.  Valvoline heavy duty and Delvac.

HD SAE 50 in the winter, 60 in the summer, no multi viscosity.  Those are actually pretty good oils and formulated specifically for air cooled engines.  Other key to that was I had a great discount at Rte. 66 HD, so it was less expensive than other off the shelf oils.  

I worked on Pan, Knuckle, and Flat and the occasional Shovelhead or Evo for really close friends.  On late model stuff for customers and myself, I used multi vis.  I use Valvoline 20/50 in my Evo.  I never wanted to get into service work, it's hard enough to make a living in the restoration business without assuming responsibility for other people's lack of common sense and maintenance on their daily rides.

I had some people swear by AeroShell aviation oil, it's ashless and made for air-cooled engines.  No idea how much that costs these days.  If the diesel oils have worked and you still have good compression, stick with 'em.

Edited to add: I'm a big believer in K & N air filters, I even used them in the old J-hook air cleaners unless the owner of the bike was overly freaky on detail- even stuff judges wouldn't see at AMCA events.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2011, 11:48:22 am »

Good compression.  Bad electrical.  Leaky - to be expected.  That's how you know when to add oil to a Harley - the dripping stops.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2011, 11:58:48 am »

Good compression.  Bad electrical.  Leaky - to be expected.  That's how you know when to add oil to a Harley - the dripping stops.

Bahahahaha!  At swap meets, if I picked up one of the old sheet metal primary covers and it didn't have a curb scrape under the derby cover, I'd tell them it wasn't original.  Naturally, that would get the eyebrows of the seller to pop up.  "Oh yeah? How do you know that?"  "Simple, the factory curb scrape is missing!"  Grin

What year/model?  Mostly original or rat/chopped?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2011, 12:08:24 pm »

I had some people swear by AeroShell aviation oil, it's ashless and made for air-cooled engines.  No idea how much that costs these days.  

About $5. to $6.50/qt depending on additives and whatever is going on in the Mid-East.  I bought a case (12 qt) of straight weight 40 with the (extra) antiwear additives (W80 Plus) last fall locally for about $65.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/aeroshelloils.php

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2011, 12:14:29 pm »

HD must have either learned from or taught the British sports car makers how to seal an engine/tranny.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2011, 12:28:05 pm »

HD must have either learned from or taught the British sports car makers how to seal an engine/tranny.

And don't forget Lucas Electrics found on most British cars back then, AKA "The Prince Of Darkness"

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »

And don't forget Lucas Electrics found on most British cars back then, AKA "The Prince Of Darkness"

And positive ground rather than negative.  (I know, used to be on some American cars long ago, along with 6V systems.)

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2011, 01:45:13 pm »

HD SAE 50 in the winter, 60 in the summer, no multi viscosity.  Those are actually pretty good oils and formulated specifically for air cooled engines.  Other key to that was I had a great discount at Rte. 66 HD, so it was less expensive than other off the shelf oils.  
It's no wonder the engines needed a rebuild every five and a half miles with oil that thick. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »

It's no wonder the engines needed a rebuild every five and a half miles with oil that thick. Wink

My boss loves to tell the story of a leaky old WWII era flathead his dad traded in to the dealer in Hammond, Indiana.  It leaked so bad, he filled the oil tank with 90W gear lube to help slow the leaking long enough to pass a cursory inspection by the dealer.  Ran fine, but after the bike had cooled for several hours in sub- 20's temps (yep, people rode them year round back then if that's all they had to get around), legend is the dealer just about broke his ankle trying to get that viscous goop to loosen up enough to kick start it and was ready to kill Joe next time he came around the dealership.

I'm sure the story has been embellished over the years, but still a good one nonetheless.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:45 pm »

It thins out pretty much when the oil temp gets up around 200F+.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 61   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org