A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:25:50 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dewey commits to PLANiTULSA implementation  (Read 5727 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: August 11, 2010, 09:52:06 am »

Did anyone catch this article in the GTR Newspaper by Mayor Bartlett?

http://www.gtrnews.com/greater-tulsa-reporter/7478/planitulsa-sent-to-council-for-reviewing-and-approval

PLANiTULSA Sent to Council For Reviewing and Approval
By DEWEY F. BARTLETT, JR.
Tulsa Mayor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After many months of citizen participation and review by both business and government experts on community planning, Tulsa’s next comprehensive plan, known as PLANiTULSA, has been sent to the City Council for their review and approval. PLANiTULSA lays out concepts for how the City of Tulsa will look, function and feel over the next 20 to 30 years and describes the kinds of places, economy, housing, open space and transportation choices that the city’s policies should be designed to create.

The City Council has 45 days to either accept the plan as submitted or to return the plan to the Tulsa Metropolitan Planning Commission for further work. It is my hope that after two years of hard work and many conversations with Tulsa residents that the City Council will embrace and approve this plan as submitted so that we can then begin the important work of implementing the proposed strategies.

First and foremost of these implementation strategies is to revise the city’s zoning code. As the plan lays out, it is imperative that we have a new code that will allow “a diverse range of mixed use building types, allow innovative automobile parking solutions and aligns development incentives with over arching planning goals.” Revising the city’s zoning code could take as long as a year and require the expertise of zoning professionals. It’s my view, that the hiring of an outside firm for this task should be given serious consideration and I believe the one time funding for this important project is available.

Along with a revised zoning code we need to create a redevelopment strategy that “broadens the range of housing options, creates new spaces for different types of employers, and makes efficient use of existing infrastructure. “We will also need to develop a transportation strategy and conduct neighborhood and small area planning.

Carrying forward with this plan will require a high degree of coordination and skill. While most of the key development will come through the private sector, the city must develop a process that is clear and easy to follow. Currently, many of Tulsa’s planning and development functions are spread out between many agencies and departments. This decentralization which has occurred over time often impedes the implementation of new strategies and development.

As the report states: “For PLANiTULSA to be successful it is critical that the city coordinate development related activities so they work together to effectively address changes desired by Tulsans. Tulsa should enhance staff capacity and technical skills and consider organizational changes that will allow the city to lead in local land use decision making.” These same types of observations regarding the city’s planning efforts have recently surfaced in the strategic review analysis of city government conducted by KPMG. Direct coordination and consolidation of these many efforts with measurable goals based on the PLANiTULSA strategic plan must be in place.

As part of the implementation strategy to coordinate development and related activities, it’s my view that it’s time for the city to have a Director of Planning. Someone with the highest of qualifications in making sure that the implementation strategies stay on track, stay coordinated and stay focused on the major themes found in PLANiTULSA. It is important to me, and to all of those who have worked these past 2 years in the PLANiTULSA process, that we work to create the implementation framework.

This is an opportunity to take a major step forward in building a brighter future for our city. I want to thank the countless number of citizens who have helped shape this plan and I look forward to continuing our work together to make your vision a reality.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:53:54 am »

Finally some good PR for the Mayor after 9 months of having his donkey handed to him.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:31 am »

Finally some good PR for the Mayor after 9 months of having his donkey handed to him.

First thing that came to mind for me was that now it'll be attacked by the Council.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:24:31 am »

First thing that came to mind for me was that now it'll be attacked by the Council.

You bet! It will.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:29:51 pm »

Even though it seems our mayor and city council can't agree on anything (like the sky is blue or the Earth is round...), the city council DID unanimously approve PLANiTULSA.  (Mautino even voted for it despite his ridiculous grandstanding about rail--he is terrified that transportation alternatives might some day be the death of Tulsa.) 

Having voted for it, they're going to look pretty goofy if they won't support IMPLEMENTING it.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:37:59 pm »

Having voted for it, they're going to look pretty goofy if they won't support IMPLEMENTING it.

Somehow I don't think "looking goofy" is a concern for them.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:11:47 pm »

Even though it seems our mayor and city council can't agree on anything (like the sky is blue or the Earth is round...), the city council DID unanimously approve PLANiTULSA.  (Mautino even voted for it despite his ridiculous grandstanding about rail--he is terrified that transportation alternatives might some day be the death of Tulsa.) 

He's been taking paranoid pills with Dan Maes.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »

Mautino wants the monorail back.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:42 pm »

He's been taking paranoid pills with Dan Maes.

He does have a great fear of Taco Trucks killing America
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org