A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Kaiser and philanthropy...  (Read 44901 times)
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 02:48:00 pm »

So I guess the next question is what's next for GKFF?

Well.....I'm ready for someone to bring a major professional sport to Tulsa lol Wink. Unfortunately the two sports that people actually care about (football and basketball....sorry soccer fans) would crash and burn in Tulsa given our proximity to OKC, KC, and Dallas.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:04 pm »

Well.....I'm ready for someone to bring a major professional sport to Tulsa lol Wink. Unfortunately the two sports that people actually care about (football and basketball....sorry soccer fans) would crash and burn in Tulsa given our proximity to OKC, KC, and Dallas.

People have posted quite a bit about that over the years with a small but loud voice wanting a major league soccer stadium built, perhaps in South Downtown. They often reminisce about the sold-out Chapman Stadium games of the old Athletics.

I might go to a couple games but I thought I'd go to more Athletics games too. Things have changed and after the very short initial hype about the new Athletics wore off, attendance seems sparse.

Soccer fans can be passionate and it's a growing sport. IMO the best shot Tulsa has at a professional team, but they should aim for upgrading the Athletics to top minor-league status first. Also, I wouldn't want a non-profit like GKFF wasting time on getting a pro franchise. That's what billionaires with inflated egos with a penchant for riding on the tax-payer's dime are for!
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 07:32:29 pm »

https://medium.com/@mikebasch/my-2018-in-the-paris-of-the-heartland-tulsa-f4ebc76ed54c

Although not everything in this article is about the GKFF, it gives you a good idea of "what's next" for the organization. Highlighting the efforts from Tulsa Remote and Mohawk-Peoria Industrial park, etc.

There seems to be a larger effort to bring quality jobs and companies to town than any of us really see.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:35:15 pm by Rattle Trap » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2018, 09:23:22 pm »

https://medium.com/@mikebasch/my-2018-in-the-paris-of-the-heartland-tulsa-f4ebc76ed54c

Although not everything in this article is about the GKFF, it gives you a good idea of "what's next" for the organization. Highlighting the efforts from Tulsa Remote and Mohawk-Peoria Industrial park, etc.

There seems to be a larger effort to bring quality jobs and companies to town than any of us really see.

Great article thanks for posting it.  It mentioned GKFF is actively investing in companies currently located on the coasts and then working with them to potentially open a second office in Tulsa.  Pretty cool.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2018, 10:27:59 pm »

Nice.   Wonder what brought him to Tulsa....?

He mentions time frame - as if 1 year is a time frame...  If we get one of those 'biggies' he is talking about in 5 years, it would be just blind, stupid luck.  And it could happen - "lightning" strikes somewhere all the time.  Why not here?  Time frames for this type of activity had best be planned in 10+ year mindsets.  10 - 20 may be more realistic.

He mentions cyber security and TU...I had couple of interns for over a year from TU.  Jr to Sr year until graduation.  Scary smart kids!  They ended up with the NSA right out of school.  Great for them, but Tulsa lost two more really good ones!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2018, 09:16:24 am »

That's interesting to read a perspective of someone working for GKFF and living in the Arts District. Neat they got to work on bringing prospective employers here. Mohawk-Peoria and TGP Phase 3 leave several big opportunities for to bring in great employers and will be great for those employers too. I can imagine that's no easy task even finding one meeting their criteria.

Nice to read a positive view of what has been happening in Tulsa recently, highlighting a few of the reasons young people would want to move here if they knew about it.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2019, 09:09:46 am »

A lot is said about local governments doling out incentives for companies to relocate.  This is a similar private-based program that is not targeting companies but individuals, those that can live downtown and be a part of the startup scene.  I've heard GKFF has already been recruiting people to Tulsa in a similar way this just opens it up to a potentially bigger audience.

They ended up getting 10,000 applicants before they shut it down! Who knows how many applicants they could've gotten if they left it open.

Tulsa Remote: More than 100 people will get billionaire's $10,000 offer to relocate this year

Launched in November by the George Kaiser Family Foundation, the Tulsa Remote program wanted to generate publicity for the city. And it sure did. Officials thought they might get 1,000 applications, total. But they got nearly that many in one day.

Inquiries came from more than 200 countries and all 50 states until Tulsa Remote decided to cap the number of applicants at 10,000.

The original plan was to bring 20 to 25 people to Tulsa. But with the program’s unexpected popularity, GKFF agreed to increase the budget. Significantly.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-remote-more-than-people-will-get-billionaire-s-offer/article_782a8c6f-8cd0-5eee-96e1-a0d8be14d30b.html
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2019, 09:10:13 am »

Participants will ultimately receive $11,000 instead of the $10,000 that was originally announced last year. Tulsa Remote had planned on providing a furnished apartment for the first three months of a participant’s stay in Tulsa, but that idea became impractical after the program grew from 20 participants to more than 100. Officials decided instead to offer an extra $1,000 as a housing stipend.
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2019, 03:52:33 pm »

Nice.   Wonder what brought him to Tulsa....?

Mr. Kaiser brought Mike to Tulsa. It was specifically to do what he is doing:

"2017 was an introspective year for me. One key takeaway: My personal realization that my guiding north star is the pursuit of challenges that push me beyond my comfort zone, and–as I’ve gotten older–empower me to create the greatest positive change in the world. Right now the opportunity to do both of those things lies in Tulsa, Oklahoma. . .

My role will be the first to straddle the investment and philanthropic arms of GKFF. I will look for businesses and funds in which to invest and simultaneously seek out companies that can expand their footprint into Tulsa, via services or offices. Ideally, of course, the opportunity means both investment and expansion. I will hunt for strategic partnerships that drive the aforementioned initiatives at scale. Finally, but importantly, I will seek out entrepreneurs, builders, movers, and shakers who are excited about the opportunity to help amplify the growth of a dynamic city already bursting with momentum."

He is a very dynamic young man and a great story in "attracting" young talent to Tulsa.

https://medium.com/@mikebasch/so-im-moving-to-tulsa-60a9851dd60e
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2019, 08:48:33 pm »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewlevine2/2019/04/29/tulsas-charms-and-10000-woo-remote-workers/amp/

Somewhat of an update on the Tulsa Remote program. So far so good? Sounds like they'll be ramping up and bringing the rest of the chosen applicants in next couple of months.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2019, 10:46:51 pm »

Interesting.  Glad they are seeing an opportunity and going for it for us.  Glad someone is.

Unfortunately Tulsa didn’t make the cut.  The top three sites still in the running are West Lafayette, Indiana, Kansas City and the Research Triangle (NC).

https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2019/05/03/perdue-announces-top-sites-ers-and-nifa-relocations

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2019, 07:17:17 am »

Unfortunately Tulsa didn’t make the cut.  The top three sites still in the running are West Lafayette, Indiana, Kansas City and the Research Triangle (NC).

https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releases/2019/05/03/perdue-announces-top-sites-ers-and-nifa-relocations

Criteria;

Quality of Life - I call BS.  We got that hands down.  (Well, except for maybe the extremist right psycho-babble elements...)

Costs - another one we have nailed !   None of those 3 beat or even match us on that.

Workforce - again, we got it.  And one of the top agricultural universities in the nation, literally 'minutes' away!  OSU!!

Logistics/IT infrastructure - mixed bag.  We have a big Google facility down the road at Pryor, so that should have been big.  We have IT all over the place!   And the 'killer' - nothing but turnpikes getting into and out of the area.  And a very good but not stellar airport facility.

I submit the "fix" was in before consideration started - someone said no to Tulsa at the git/go.   What's the matter, Sonny?  Even we aren't extremist enough for a Trump Minion??

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:18:54 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2019, 07:48:43 am »

Unfortunately Tulsa didn’t make the cut.  The top three sites still in the running are West Lafayette, Indiana, Kansas City and the Research Triangle (NC).

Total coincidence that shoring up support in Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina is good electoral politics.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2019, 12:05:50 pm »

I'm just coming back to this Forum.  Just wanna suggest a few thoughts that could use some assistance.

A CREATIVE WAY TO MAP GREENWOOD

If obstructions help creativity
Then this project is off the scale

The 1920 census will be after 100 years beginning now.  In 2020, let's map that Census. We have the street system digitally registered in Google Earth.  It's easy.

That means I can take each entry and record it to a geographic location.  The individuals name, previous origin, race, trade...

If the location of, R=C &  the notation indicating Head of Household indicates C, then pretty much this is Greenwood as it existed 100 years ago.

From here I want to go into some tangents... I have trouble with that, my manic manner & many thoughts.

THE BASICS
   Crowd Source
   Cloud
   Google
(More to follow, let's just stick to this basic idea for a beginning)

GOOGLING IDEAS
   The cloud and the crowd+how after hurricane, Haiti was mapped using Arrow photography with 1.5 million people across the world in 2 weeks...  (Sometimes I like the voice-to-text translation better than what I actually said)

SUGGESTIONS

Install Google Earth Pro so I can show simple GIS activity.

I'd love to expand this further. I am no longer involved with technology and so this effort is more of a heartfelt desire. I'm not a fan of using computers myself & would like serious dialog with all.

Only a community can solve this

The Rabbit Hole

UPON ENTERING I WANT
 YOUR IMMEDIATE REACTION

ONE WORD OR LESS

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12u-HeXNGsgHZkoFElZbQ5zikVYe5NR9U/view?usp=drivesdk

-

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2019, 07:01:57 am »

I'm not a 501K, so the philanthropy of Tulsa has thus far failed to hear my idea.  The idea of mapping Greenwood prior to 1921 has many facets; but we start simple.

after locating the 1920 census of course there's tremendous reference material and one of the most frustrating aspects in looking back at Greenwood is the dysphoria of information.

I propose a Wiki Style digital Library of all things relevant to that one place overtime.  Place book indexing.  Cities have GIS and I suggest Greenwood should.

I was disappointed that things did not happen in 2018 to commemorate the 1918 bird's-eye view of Tulsa.   AHHA has a fantastic print Laboratory. we should have discussed what the city fathers were trying to convey to the world in commissioning that image.  Bartlesville bird's eye view came earlier & it is not as refined... looks Ozarkie.  The 1919 bird's eye view of Atlanta is 100 this year but Atlanta doesn't have what we have. 

During our growth the Sanborn Maps maintained a wealth of information. Atlanta only has one edition because of its early creation.

I've located three versions of Tulsa Sanborn Maps which run from  1896 though our Magic years.  One is from the national Library of Congress and it is readily available online however it's not geographically referenced so to move from one sheet to another rather than just panning a map you have to go to a library index and search out other locations and that's just stupid.

On the third floor of our Central Library is a big tabletop computer dedicated to maps.   In the Oklahoma room are paper copies of the Library of Congress Sanborn maps of Tulsa.  8x11... The Originals arer 54 inches by 3 foot or so.  Equally stupid.  And worst of all we had at our library a unique set worthy of study that have been buried in the city historical society's basement, accessible through payment of money ...unacceptable. 

A third set is in the hands of University of Oklahoma.

Each has unique information which I propose to consolidate and with Wiki effort should we build it in the cloud the crowd will come.

Anyway, a crowd is coming soon.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org