A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:57:22 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Kaiser and philanthropy...  (Read 44932 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2018, 05:12:59 pm »

If there is anyway you can support teacher raises through a moderate tax increase on the corporate sector like the energy (oil & gas) lets explore those options first. If push comes to shove then look at a slight increase in property and/or a special 1/16 increase on state sales taxes dedicated to teacher salaries. Oklahoma will need to raise teacher salaries by $4,000  by 2020 to get us out of the bottom five rut.

We have to get this done.  The damage has already cost the state an exodus of many talented teachers to states like Texas & California.  We need a long-term plan to support those raises that doesn't require one segment of tax papers to shoulder the burden term.

2017 rankings prior to the teacher walkout:  https://www.app.com/story/news/investigations/data/analysis/2018/04/12/teacher-salary-2017/508703002/

45. West Virginia, $44,470
     46. Mississippi, $44,364
     47. Arizona, $44,113
     48. North Carolina, $43,897
     49. South Dakota, $40,790
     50. Oklahoma, $40,201

*1970s Oklahoma ranked 44
*1980s Oklahoma ranked 45
*1990s Oklahoma ranked 47 (vaguely recall the 3 decade ranking from memory*).

Norman Transcript:  Mar 29, 2018:  "The massive tax package, which is expected to raise about $447 million in new revenue, will allow lawmakers to give classroom teachers an average $6,100 pay increase:  https://www.normantranscript.com/news/government/senate-narrowly-approves-teacher-raise-package/article_9403013b-4f74-5f48-8ad5-6f61e5e94934.html

Oklahoma's is still among the bottom 5 states with the worst in teacher pay @$46,301; several states in that bottom five have increase teacher salaries for 2018.

almost every teacher I know is a hard 'no' on increasing teacher pay via sales taxes, which hurts the poorest Oklahomans more.  Teachers are empathetic if nothing else.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 06:20:04 pm »

Public education is one of those necessary evils. It's an antiquated system not well suited for the modern world (from a financial sense). I am for the teacher raises and spending more on education as long as there are real results and it improves the state's reputation nationwide. All of these negative things you hear about education in Oklahoma are derived from one statistic, that we spend less per student than most states. This doesn't even necessarily say anything about the quality of our education, only that we spend less. Then you get some crazy liberal news outlets to jump on the story to try and paint a picture of "Republican stronghold of Oklahoma failing because of Republican policies and spending less than other states".

I graduated high school from Owasso. Within my graduating class, we had one of the highest amounts of national merit scholars for one school in the nation. We competed nationally (and successfully) in debate, band, choir, etc. ACT scores and college admission were well above national average. My point being that state spending per pupil doesn't really matter, at least not in a suburban setting. Rural is a different story since there is less property tax, but even then if you have a curriculum to go by and proper supplies then anyone could teach at a high school level.

Unfortunately there is a negative perception of Oklahoma due to our conservative leanings and if spending more on education will solve that (it won't) then so be it. Stitt said he's for giving teachers pay raises, but said the most recent one was the wrong way to go about it.

I don't pretend to know what the solution is. I just wish people would calm down and realize that more spending doesn't always mean better results.

Spending less than ALL states.

Public education does have problems.  Still waiting for some solution that is better.  Kinda like democracy - the worst system in the world - except for all the others.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 06:21:07 pm »

I'm not quite sure how a discussion over teacher salaries registers with George Kaiser and his philanthropy but I think this has strayed well enough off topic.

But as long as we are here in a time-honored tradition of our thread drift:

Great new taproom!

Sweet!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2018, 06:22:44 pm »

Public education is one of those necessary evils. It's an antiquated system not well suited for the modern world (from a financial sense). I am for the teacher raises and spending more on education as long as there are real results and it improves the state's reputation nationwide. All of these negative things you hear about education in Oklahoma are derived from one statistic, that we spend less per student than most states. This doesn't even necessarily say anything about the quality of our education, only that we spend less. Then you get some crazy liberal news outlets to jump on the story to try and paint a picture of "Republican stronghold of Oklahoma failing because of Republican policies and spending less than other states".

I graduated high school from Owasso. Within my graduating class, we had one of the highest amounts of national merit scholars for one school in the nation. We competed nationally (and successfully) in debate, band, choir, etc. ACT scores and college admission were well above national average. My point being that state spending per pupil doesn't really matter, at least not in a suburban setting. Rural is a different story since there is less property tax, but even then if you have a curriculum to go by and proper supplies then anyone could teach at a high school level.

Unfortunately there is a negative perception of Oklahoma due to our conservative leanings and if spending more on education will solve that (it won't) then so be it. Stitt said he's for giving teachers pay raises, but said the most recent one was the wrong way to go about it.

I don't pretend to know what the solution is. I just wish people would calm down and realize that more spending doesn't always mean better results.

I think you are missing a big component of schools.  The parents.

Many kids simply do not have anyone in their lives that could be called capable and good.  Often just the opposite.

Know someone that recently has become a teacher.  Every time I see them I hear stories like... The little girl who is starving herself to death, lips purple, almost passing out in class, etc. and the parent refusing to see there is a problem. Parents getting angry at the teacher, and even threatening if anything is said about the student. Kids who are clearly traumatized by their home environments.  Yelling and screaming parents dragging their kids away in the parking lot. A teacher yelling back to stop and the parent screaming and cussing the teacher out. Kids who miss many many days of school and the parents who don't care and get angry again if you say anything and teachers in all of these situations and more wondering if they say anything will that child suffer even more at the hands of terrible parents who they have just made angry. Kids who have lousy clothes and wear the same outfit over and over and one parent brings in some clothes to the school and tells the teacher not to let the other parent know for they will get angry.  I could go on and on about the horror stories I hear, some I can't even say on here. Its often the children from the poorest families, that need the most help and who get the least. And the cycle goes on. These kids do not grow up to be capable people, and they then have kids.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 03:55:44 pm »

TheArtist:

That's the story of every teacher who is passionate about the profession.  They often dig deep into they own pockets for supplies and necessities needed to achieve the learning goal.  It's difficult to do on an Oklahoma teacher salary.

We all agree that something has to be done.  Oklahoma ranks in the middle of the pack (20-30) in many categories; why are we in the bottom-of-the-barrel when it come to education.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:05:18 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:38 pm »

https://m.chron.com/business/article/Oklahoma-s-Future-Rests-in-the-Hands-of-Two-13453843.php

I stumbled upon this article and thought it was really interesting. Push the politics aside, it highlights what Kaiser has done for Tulsa and many of the positive things happening in the city and state as a whole.

It's unfortunate Harold hamm isn't quite as generous as Kaiser.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2018, 10:44:18 am »

https://m.chron.com/business/article/Oklahoma-s-Future-Rests-in-the-Hands-of-Two-13453843.php

I stumbled upon this article and thought it was really interesting. Push the politics aside, it highlights what Kaiser has done for Tulsa and many of the positive things happening in the city and state as a whole.

Impressive article, good find Rattle Trap.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2018, 11:01:18 am »

Some are givers, some are receivers. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/oil-magnate-and-trump-friend-harold-hamm-expected-to-be-cramers-finance-chair-should-he-launch-senate-bid/2018/02/14/5548ae90-11aa-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2018, 11:54:10 am »

Let's not forget:

His younger wife took him to the cleaners - Harold Hamm's $975 Million Divorce Check: First Rejected, Then Cashed, Now Taxed:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2015/01/10/harold-hamms-975-million-divorce-check-first-rejected-then-cashed-now-taxed-but-when/#38a65e4077d9
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:43:28 pm by Laramie » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2018, 12:42:06 pm »

Some interesting blurbs from the article:

George Kaiser, a 76-year-old Oklahoma banker and oilman giving away almost his entire $10.5 billion fortune, wants higher taxes on his own industry. He’s bankrolling trendy neighborhoods in Tulsa, an early-childhood education program and a movement toward criminal-justice reform. Kaiser says his priority is to wean the state’s economy from “cyclical, commodity-based industry.”

Harold Hamm, founder of Oklahoma City oil-and-gas giant Continental Resources Inc., has fought to keep things as they are: lean budgets, lax environmental regulations and low fossil-fuel levies. With a net worth of $13.8 billion according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, he funds the state’s most conservative politicians while arguing for higher taxes on wind turbines sprouting on the rolling hills. Hamm, 72, has promised to donate most of his money to “causes that will enable people with ambition and tenacity to achieve their goals.” So far that’s included millions for research on what he calls the “American energy renaissance”—a doubling of oil production since 2011.

“You couldn't find anybody more different than those two guys,” said Mike Cantrell, a former Continental Resources executive who is president of the Oklahoma Energy Producers Alliance, a group of small oil companies that campaigned for higher taxes to fund education. “They both care a great deal about Oklahoma, and both are tough and brilliant businessmen.”

The Sooner State and its wind-swept, derrick-dotted plains are a microcosm of America. Millennials and minorities are flocking to its two big cities, propelling the economy even as oil dominates its politics. Now, its two richest billionaires have taken opposite sides in a fight that may decide whether the industry that built their fortunes will define the future. The conflict has been raging all year, including a teacher’s strike, the first tax increase since 1990 and election victories for a swarm of educators. Meanwhile, the state’s economic transformation is accelerating, following trends evident across the country: While rural areas bleed jobs, metro areas like Oklahoma City and Tulsa win new wealth and flashy amenities.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2018, 01:47:39 pm »

Don't forget to vote
https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-new-attraction-2018/a-gathering-place-for-tulsa-tulsa/
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2018, 11:26:40 am »

"currently ranked 1 of 20."
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2018, 12:13:17 pm »

So I guess the next question is what's next for GKFF?  I know they are involved in a large residential project in the Arts District and will hopefully release more details on that soon.  Also the Bob Dylan Archives which will start construction next year on the parking lot next to AHHA at MLK & Archer.  And the second phase of Gathering Place which is supposed to be announced next year as well.  

If I had a wish list I would put higher education at the top.  Not sure in what capacity possibly the OU/TU medical program or expanding OSU academic programs and research downtown (which would tie into GKFF's work revitalizing the Arts District).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:17:02 pm by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2018, 10:26:34 pm »

So I guess the next question is what's next for GKFF?  I know they are involved in a large residential project in the Arts District and will hopefully release more details on that soon.  Also the Bob Dylan Archives which will start construction next year on the parking lot next to AHHA at MLK & Archer.  And the second phase of Gathering Place which is supposed to be announced next year as well.  

If I had a wish list I would put higher education at the top.  Not sure in what capacity possibly the OU/TU medical program or expanding OSU academic programs and research downtown (which would tie into GKFF's work revitalizing the Arts District).

There will also be a Turkey Mountain master plan at some point.  This will be essentially through River Parks, but since the GKFF happens to own most of that land and they have employees or associates who sit on the RPA board, you can count on GKFF having a good say in what happens there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2018, 02:27:22 pm »

I think they've done far more than enough. If they can just keep going what they've already started that is huge. The Gathering Place has got to be a tremendous undertaking, just to keep it going day to day. I'm not surprised progress on riverfront part of it has completely stopped. I'm not expecting any of that before 2020, if not later.

Tulsa has certain companies and philanthropists that do far far more than others. For example, the Ross Group and Nelson-Stowe have done far more than most any other organizations for downtown revitalization. And American Residential Group has quite a large portion of downtown rental units with many more planned but on hold (so live or die by that sort of "pluropoly"). It's great that these organizations are pushing the envelope, but it does put a lot of trust and responsibility on a few (In Ewing's case, it went really bad). GKFF has no doubt earned the trust and taken up the responsibility. I'm happy with what they've done already and thankful Tulsa has such generous benefactors. I'd be happy with them just sustaining what they've already invested in.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org