A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:14 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video or photos in public?  (Read 11552 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 01:17:15 pm »

I kinda think that since the rider KNEW he was being followed by cops - he looked around to see them behind him once in the video - and the cop in front yelled out that he was a cop, and the black and white behind him was rolling up with lights and sirens at the same time - there was pretty solid evidence to this clown that he was being stopped by cops.  I believe it would stand up to more than a reasonable doubt argument that he did know they were cops.

At least if he didn't, and pulled a gun thinking these guys were hijackers and they blew him away, it would pretty much be a clear case of evolution in action.  He is already a walking organ donor driving the way he does - no brain up there - just warm body parts awaiting a transplant - so I guess I wouldn't be very sympathetic.  One can only hope he doesn't kill someone else with him when he goes out.

Actually, when he turns around and looks at the car behind him, it's an unmarked.  So, once again, how was he to know this was a cop?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 02:42:21 pm »

I heard all sorts of things about taking pictures in public, if you get a stranger in your shot  you need to get a written release from them in order to use that shot, unless you can't make out the person's face and can't tell who it is. (If it's for personal use only then other rules apply) Then for famous people there are no rules, they are hounded by cameras all the time and by the tabloid newspapers. The camera mounted stuff is all new and no doubt in time they will make laws about that stuff. Google is now making street level views of many of the nations bike trails with a cyclist riding the trails with a camera mounted on his bike of helmet.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »

I heard all sorts of things about taking pictures in public, if you get a stranger in your shot  you need to get a written release from them in order to use that shot, unless you can't make out the person's face and can't tell who it is. (If it's for personal use only then other rules apply) Then for famous people there are no rules, they are hounded by cameras all the time and by the tabloid newspapers. The camera mounted stuff is all new and no doubt in time they will make laws about that stuff. Google is now making street level views of many of the nations bike trails with a cyclist riding the trails with a camera mounted on his bike of helmet.

How are the trails in Omaha?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

You can now tour Universal Studios in LA on Google Streets

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 03:55:32 pm »

Actually, the laws remain the same regardless of a percieved level of fame.  What makes the differance is "news" publication and "entertainment" and/or commercial publications.  Your reference to "personal use" depends on what that personal use is.  So in other words, it doesn't matter who is photographed, or who is doing the photographing, it comes down to what the end use of said photograph is. 
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 10:34:40 am »

PAWNEE — The Pawnee County Sheriff's Office's claim that a broken camera prevented jailers from taking Sheriff Roger Price's mugshot is being disputed by people who were booked into the jail around the same time.

Price was charged July 14 in Pawnee County District Court with grand larceny and two counts of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, all felonies.

He is accused of stealing a trailer and of driving two vehicles that were seized in drug arrests.

The Pawnee County Sheriff's Office's camera has worked, inmates say, but it hasn't captured the embattled sheriff's image.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100806_12_A16_PAWNEE767529

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 11:56:54 am »

PAWNEE — The Pawnee County Sheriff's Office's claim that a broken camera prevented jailers from taking Sheriff Roger Price's mugshot is being disputed by people who were booked into the jail around the same time.

Price was charged July 14 in Pawnee County District Court with grand larceny and two counts of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, all felonies.

He is accused of stealing a trailer and of driving two vehicles that were seized in drug arrests.

The Pawnee County Sheriff's Office's camera has worked, inmates say, but it hasn't captured the embattled sheriff's image.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100806_12_A16_PAWNEE767529

It was the flash, the flash didn't go off so we'll have to try again another time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 07:46:04 am »

Because the car right behind the unmarked was marked, had lights flashing, and sirens running.

I didn't see it, but wouldn't be surprised if the unmarked had one of those little bubble-gum lights in the dash...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:28 am »

Because the car right behind the unmarked was marked, had lights flashing, and sirens running.

I didn't see it, but wouldn't be surprised if the unmarked had one of those little bubble-gum lights in the dash...

You didn't see it, but yet you are going to make an assumption it was there and therefore say that the guy on the bike had to see it?  And kinda funny, I didn't see any flashing lights behind the unmarked when he looked back.  In fact, didn't see anything behind it except road.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 08:32:32 am »

The video didnt show any flashing lights, nor the audio any sirens.  When the guy came out of his car with a gun there was no way to tell that it was anything but a carjacking, and the department was probably embarrassed that their sloppiness was documented.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 09:21:13 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iZm97_vDbc[/youtube]

OAKLAND -- The Oakland school district has agreed to pay $99,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by a photojournalist over a confrontation with its former police chief during an October 2008 protest.

Jane Tyska, who works for Bay Area News Group's Oakland Tribune, was covering an immigration march in East Oakland's Fruitvale neighborhood when she was grazed by a squad car driven by Art Michel, the school district's former police chief.

Michel accused Tyska of intentionally swinging her elbow into his car, blocking the street, and trying to incite a riot among the mostly teenage protesters. Tyska's camera was rolling during part of the heated exchange, in which the police chief called her a "lying (expletive)." Michel detained Tyska and confiscated the videotape, but it was later returned to the Tribune. The District Attorney's Office declined to file charges against the journalist. Two months later, Michel resigned.

In December, Tyska filed suit against Michel and the school district, accusing the officer of violating civil rights laws, as well as of assault and battery. Representatives from the Oakland school district settled the case through mediation, said Tyska's attorney, Terry Gross, of Gross Belsky Alonso. Michel wasn't required to participate in the process, Gross said.

Troy Flint, a spokesman for the Oakland school district, said he hadn't heard about the settlement. But, he added, "obviously, the conduct in this incident was not the type we condone, and we're happy to put this behind us."

In a prepared statement, Tyska stated, "I'm very happy that the OUSD has taken responsibility for the actions of its former police chief. "... If it wasn't for the video I shot, this abuse of power would never have come to light. It's now illegal in a dozen states to record police activity, and this case is an excellent example of why that right needs to be protected. One of the reasons people often fear cameras is because they tell the truth."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:33:33 am by patric » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org