A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:29 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) GreenArch  (Read 79727 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »

That's disappointing about the grocery store at the Detroit Lofts. Even the nearest grocer to downtown, Reasor's, closes at night. So I don't even shop there. The nearest 24-hour grocery store is 46th and Peoria.

The snowstorms the past few winters really reinforced the lack of downtown residents, what with literally everything closing. Once we get some downtown residents, maybe restaurants/bars will still be open when it snows, like in major urban centers.

That whole area around the ballpark is developing at a glacial pace. Didn't various stakeholders buy up those properties, and why is nothing happening?

Still ugly surface lots, industrial stuff, etc. all around the ballpark. Plus we still don't have through sidewalks to the ballpark from the Blue Dome up Elgin nor from the Brady on the south side of Brady.

I think we have plenty of people living in Downtown (somewhere around 3890 though not sure if this includes HL MOSS), Brady Heights, Riverview, Childers Heights, Owen Park, Forest Orchard and even North Maple Ridge that would shop at a downtown grocery store. In fact bring on the retail downtown, Lee's and Fleet Feet are not hurting at all in the Blue Dome and neither is Dwelling spaces.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 02:14:33 pm »

Oh, and don't forget Glacier's (delicious Glacier's).
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 02:19:33 pm »

Oh, and don't forget Glacier's (delicious Glacier's).

Good stuff
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 02:29:54 pm »

I think we have plenty of people living in Downtown (somewhere around 3890 though not sure if this includes HL MOSS), Brady Heights, Riverview, Childers Heights, Owen Park, Forest Orchard and even North Maple Ridge that would shop at a downtown grocery store. In fact bring on the retail downtown, Lee's and Fleet Feet are not hurting at all in the Blue Dome and neither is Dwelling spaces.

How do you think a limited service grocery would do, no on-site butcher, somewhat of an Aldi or Save-A-Lot concept but without the suck factor?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 02:52:02 pm »

Sure, kinda like a large bodega. I don't think anyone is expecting a full service Reasors in downtown...that just isn't cool anyway.

I never go to the deli or the bakery counter in a Reasors anyway (or the bank branch, or the video store or the pharmacy or the coin star etc), I just need groceries and the occasional bag of dog food.

Also needed in DT: Package store (booze), home goods, clothing, shoes.

Already in DT: home improvement, camping, running, biking, chocolates, sundries/gifts, t-shirts, art, cakes/bakery (next to Mayo hotel), dry cleaning, hair/nail salons, office supplies, coffee, and lots of banks.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »

Along the lines of the other things needed: more take-out/fast food. Not a McDonald's or anything, but there's not much selection for non-sit down restaurants after 11-2 and on weekends. Dilly Deli could help fill the need, but their hours are pretty weak and they're incredibly slow for a deli.

I'm really big on Schnuck's Culinaria in downtown St. Louis. It's open 6am-10pm 7 days a week, and it's as good a place to grab lunch as it is a grocery store. There's a coffee shop, a deli making sandwiches, lots of prepackaged single-serving foods (including produce). That place really maximizes their unique position as a downtown grocery.
http://www.culinariaschnucks.com/

Even little old Springfield, MO has a downtown grocery, and it even serves food to the after-bar crowd.

I'm happy for our downtown's growth, but in many ways it's still subpar in comparison to even an average college town, especially if you're a night/weekend person.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:27:17 pm by TheTed » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 03:30:23 pm »

Along the lines of the other things needed: more take-out/fast food. Not a McDonald's or anything, but there's not much selection for non-sit down restaurants after 11-2 and on weekends. Dilly Deli could help fill the need, but their hours are pretty weak and they're incredibly slow for a deli.

I'm really big on Schnuck's Culinaria in downtown St. Louis. It's open 6am-10pm 7 days a week, and it's as good a place to grab lunch as it is a grocery store. There's a coffee shop, a deli making sandwiches, lots of prepackaged single-serving foods (including produce). That place really maximizes their unique position as a downtown grocery.

Even little old Springfield, MO has a downtown grocery, and it even serves food to the after-bar crowd.

I'm happy for our downtown's growth, but in many ways it's still subpar in comparison to even an average college town, especially if you're a night/weekend person.

The critical mass is building, it's only a matter of time for more development and more amenities will look like no-brainers.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »

The critical mass is building, it's only a matter of time for more development and more amenities will look like no-brainers.
I know. I'm just getting impatient. Especially when literally everything shuts down when it snows. There are enough people living downtown that there should be some bars open, even when there's a foot of snow on the ground.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:14 pm »

I'm a fan of Cosentino's in downtown Kansas City.  I've always thought the Fertility Clinic property at 15th & Boston would be a great place for a similar store.  Tear down the clinic (former Luby's) and build up to the street with plenty of space for parking to the north and east.  Convenient to downtown, Riverview, Maple Ridge and Cherry Street.

Cosentino's

As for downtown's growth, it has been pretty robust considering there wasn't much there just 10 years ago.  Another issue is downtown is not the place for nightlife in Tulsa, it's one several urban districts along with Sobo, Cherry Street and Brookside.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 08:11:46 am »

I know. I'm just getting impatient. Especially when literally everything shuts down when it snows. There are enough people living downtown that there should be some bars open, even when there's a foot of snow on the ground.

I thought Orpha's never closed  Wink

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 09:09:57 am »

I have heard Eatzi's is taking a look.  www.eatzis.com
dbacks fan
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 09:19:42 am »

This I think would be a good choice for a downrown store. It's about the size of a Wal Greens or a CVS.

http://www.freshandeasy.com/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 11:51:40 am »

Very realistic/sad that the rendering shows the power lines in the way.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 12:09:27 pm »

On the up side you wont have to go very far to return your UHAUL once you get moved in.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 01:37:31 am »

Is there any movement on this project?

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org