A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:27:50 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) GreenArch  (Read 80337 times)
pfox
Civic Leader

« on: July 21, 2010, 12:05:14 pm »

Here is a nice little article on a development I have been working on for a while.  The project is moving forward, which is great news for downtown, and Greenwood.  We're very excited about it.

http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=51398

Developers get go-ahead for Greenwood lofts
By Ryan Daly - 7/19/2010

Downtown housing is about to diversify.

The U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development recently gave the go-ahead to GreenArch LLC, a partnership between the Greenwood Community Development Corp. and Hille Foundation, to further develop plans for a 63-unit mixed-use development at the corner of Greenwood Avenue and Archer Street.
Reuben Gant, president and CEO of the Greenwood Chamber of Commerce, said plans for the development were spurred by the lack of affordable housing downtown.
“Residential development downtown has been skewed to this point toward a high-income demographic,” he said. “We have always felt there was a middle market that was being missed, and now, with the completion of PLANiTULSA, there are the studies to prove it.”
In fact, Gant said, this particular development has long been in the works. Gant had originally planned the units be located on the then-vacant lot now occupied by Oneok Field but traded the land with the Tulsa Development Authority for the current development site.
The four-story, 86,268-SF structure, designed by Freese Architecture and ZigZag Urban Planning & Design, would contain 63 loft-style residential units, six ground-floor live-work units and 9,000-plus SF of commercial and retail space on the corner of Greenwood Avenue and Archer Street.
Patrick Fox, principal at ZigZag, said in an effort to architecturally extend the Greenwood corridor the structure would acknowledge the design of the existing buildings but also be a distinctively modern structure.
“For example, the first two floors are masonry, similar to what exists on Greenwood currently, but above will have an alternate material, which will be a metal skin of some sort,” he said.
To observe existing downtown building patterns, developers pushed the building to the street and put 87 on-site parking spaces behind the building.
Gant said the units, which will range in size from 700 to 1,400 SF, would be priced at about $1 per SF.
“I don’t believe you can truly redevelop downtown without affordable housing,” he said.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:45:56 pm by Admin » Logged

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:23:08 pm »

Here is a nice little article on a development I have been working on for a while.  The project is moving forward, which is great news for downtown, and Greenwood.  We're very excited about it.

http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=51398

Very cool.

Is this on the SW corner next to the U-Haul building?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »

WIN!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:19:56 pm »

Decent pricerange win!
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:25:36 pm »

Nice!  East or west side of Greenwood--if I recall, the Greenwood Chamber got plots on both sides of the street in exchange for the ballpark parcel?

Also, now that you got HUD approval, what's the timeline looking like?
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:35:56 pm »

Yes.  SW Corner of Greenwood and Archer, right next to U-Haul.  The North side of the building is going to have killer views into the Ballpark...South and West Exposures will have killer views of Downtown, and the East side obviously fronts Historic Greenwood Avenue.  There will be community space on the roof with 360 views, and every unit has a patio.

Don't confuse affordable with cheap, fwiw.  Brian Freese is the architect.  We hired him because we wanted these to be creative, modern spaces, using inexpensive materials in creative ways...and to use an overused phrase, to be loft-like.  Basically, good design, shouldn't necessarily cost you an arm and a leg. They flow well, with large living areas.  They will have 8 x 6 foot windows, sliding doors in each unit and ten foot ceilings, so there is going to be tons of natural light, and no dark living spaces or bedrooms.

One unique feature are the ground floor live work units on Greenwood.  The idea was to continue the Greenwood storefronts to the south, but allowing living space in the units as well...so they will be perfect home/office, home/retail, home/studio spaces...work in front, live in the back.

The floorplans on the spaces are under revision.  I'll post when we get a little further along.

We hope to be breaking ground in spring.  We have to finish the construction drawings, go through permitting, etc.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:40:23 pm by pfox » Logged

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
dsjeffries
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:21 pm »

Congratulations, and bravo! This will be a great development. I may have to live there (can't you start construction now so I can move in February? Smiley)
TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:54:11 pm »

Congratulations Patrick, looks like a fantastic design and the price point is very much needed in the downtown housing market.

TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:29:10 pm »

1 dollar a sq ft? Am I reading that right?  So I can get a 1400sq ft townhome/condo for 1400 bucks?  I want 5.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:55:35 pm »

1 dollar a sq ft? Am I reading that right?  So I can get a 1400sq ft townhome/condo for 1400 bucks?  I want 5.

I'm pretty sure that is rental rate per month
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:09 am »

Don't get me wrong - I like the intent of the project. That design, however, just leaves me cold. Current "modern" architecture is not memorable and just seems to be inspired by Legos. It doesn't scream Tulsa and it really needs to, especially in that historic of an area.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 07:05:02 am »

I like it, its good to have something like this downtown that reflects todays architecture. The main thing imo, is where the building meets the sidewalk.  That first level or two is what you will "experience" when walking by, and will really see when you drive by. The rest can be whatever. I like that they have kept with the brick on the lower levels and will indeed be interesting to see what they go with up high.  But, imo, it would be fine to go with something that is less expensive on the upper parts, then add a few extra touches and details on the lower part and perhaps the crown, especially around the retail section.

I know I sound like a broken record, but some deco touches would be nice lol.   And all that can mean is a few vertical or horizontal lines or a simple pattern under or over the windows in the brickwork to add a teentsy bit of extra interest at ground level.  The great thing is that type of thing works perfectly well with contemporary design but gives it that "this is Tulsa" touch.  Contemporary design is basically "almost deco" anyway. Add one extra line here and there and you have it. You could even do something just with the railing to give people that deco cue. It is after all "ZigZag" Urban Planning and Design, something of this nature could be a nice extra, but subtle, signature touch.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 12:39:06 pm »

Project is moving forward, I see bids are due today on project packages.  Cool

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »

Does anyone know when this project will break ground? I can't wait to see it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 07:33:40 am »

Does anyone know when this project will break ground? I can't wait to see it.

They are waiting on paperwork. Groundbreaking will be in April or May.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org