A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:02:55 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 200 room Aloft Hotel coming to downtown Tulsa  (Read 60420 times)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 08:48:36 am »

yes...

as a platinum SPG, i'm thrilled...
i love the aloft brand...
its a less (slightly) pretentious W...
the "hipness" can border on tacky/poseur but its better than any other hotel chain we have in town...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:52:42 am »

yes...

as a platinum SPG, i'm thrilled...
i love the aloft brand...
its a less (slightly) pretentious W...
the "hipness" can border on tacky/poseur but its better than any other hotel chain we have in town...

I've not been to the Hyatt Place here, but in other cities I like their hotels
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:10:32 am »

I like Aloft too, but I wish they had picked a brand that would utilize a local construction firm. 

Aloft has an agreement with Crossland Construction out of Arkansas.  They are a fantastic construction firm, but I would have liked to see a local company get the job.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 11:52:03 am »

I've not been to the Hyatt Place here, but in other cities I like their hotels

Hyatt Place would work will with the proposed loft/hotel development at 3rd & Denver. 

spartanokc
OKC Nag
Citizen

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:50 pm »

I like Aloft too, but I wish they had picked a brand that would utilize a local construction firm. 

Aloft has an agreement with Crossland Construction out of Arkansas.  They are a fantastic construction firm, but I would have liked to see a local company get the job.

I thought it was Manhattan, with ties to Brickhugger, of course..

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 10:06:45 pm »

I thought it was Manhattan, with ties to Brickhugger, of course..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if the Snyders want it, Manhattan will build it.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 09:36:19 am »

Per this article, and per the obvious, Manhattan is building it.

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A31172

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 02:50:15 pm »

So wait, you're telling me that there are Starwood hotels now? In places I actually have to stay?

SPG is great, but historically their markets have not been ones I need to stay in, so it's been pretty useless. Funny, since they keep sending me SPG gold cards.

HHonors has gone through so many devaluations now that it's pretty much only worthwhile when they're running a crazy promo. (like last quarter's free night cert good at (almost) any HHonors hotel for only four stays, which was worth 6 free nights to me)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »

So wait, you're telling me that there are Starwood hotels now? In places I actually have to stay?

SPG is great, but historically their markets have not been ones I need to stay in, so it's been pretty useless. Funny, since they keep sending me SPG gold cards.

HHonors has gone through so many devaluations now that it's pretty much only worthwhile when they're running a crazy promo. (like last quarter's free night cert good at (almost) any HHonors hotel for only four stays, which was worth 6 free nights to me)

Starwood has decided that they don't want a serious Recession to go to waste, and so announced some serious expansion plans earlier this spring.  Aloft is right in the middle of it.  They're going global with the brand, but also expanding in US markets. 

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »

Starwood has decided that they don't want a serious Recession to go to waste, and so announced some serious expansion plans earlier this spring.  Aloft is right in the middle of it.  They're going global with the brand, but also expanding in US markets. 
I guess money is cheap enough now (presuming you can get it) that it makes sense, even with soft occupancy rates. SPG is good enough that it ought to drive some of Hilton and Marriott's business their way among the frequent traveler set.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 09:12:25 pm »

I guess money is cheap enough now (presuming you can get it) that it makes sense, even with soft occupancy rates. SPG is good enough that it ought to drive some of Hilton and Marriott's business their way among the frequent traveler set.

I like what they're doing. They're picking off the young hipster business traveler which up till now hasn't really been an actual market segment.  Everyone just assumed the traveling Millenial would stay at the Courtyard by Marriott with the rest of the X's, Y's, and late Boomer business travelers.  Turns out lifestyle business travel is pretty important to a lot of folks. Who'd'a thunk?
spartanokc
OKC Nag
Citizen

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:33 am »

Yeah, so now that it's settled that Manhattan is the construction firm..what was the point about Crossland doing it?

(Interestingly, I've noticed Manhattan and Crossland seem to do a lot of projects on e/o's "turf")

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 10:22:14 am »

Rendering in today's Tulsa World:

Would be nice to be able to read any of that.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:00 am »

Rendering in today's Tulsa World:

Would be nice to be able to read any of that.

KOTV has a PDF version that's easier to read
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:42 am »

Looks like a new building for the restaurant, city council building becomes event space.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griffin/NEWSon6/PDF/1010/ThePlazaSitePlan.pdf
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org