A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:56:06 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Art of BBQ  (Read 14151 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 08:37:09 am »

Reminder:
Early bird registration for teams ends today.  If you want to compete, register today to save $25. 
We already have over 40 teams and spaces are going fast!

www.tulsaartofbbq.com

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »

OK, a rash of reservations today. . . 40' x 40 spots are full and large RV spots are filled too.  We only have a handful of  20' x 40' spaces left, so if you or your company wants to participate you need to get registered now. 

Grin

Cross your fingers for good weather, cause we have a crowd this year!

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:26 pm »

If this was the "Math of BBQ," then the prime spaces would be 19 x 37

I'll quit now...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 09:11:55 pm »

If this was the "Math of BBQ," then the prime spaces would be 19 x 37

I'll quit now...

Or maybe 17 x 41   Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 11:47:31 am »

Or maybe 17 x 41   Grin

Exactly.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 07:08:26 am »

We're all set, I hope everyone will stop by on Saturday! 
55 teams confirmed.
30 People's Choice teams (you can eat their food).
Entertainment Friday starting at 5:00 PM and all day Saturday.

We were able to get some of the major competitive teams that have never come to Tulsa before, so there will be some really great food and stiff competition.

If you have a great time and like OUR food, we are getting ready to start a new series of BBQ 101-106 courses at the new Sage Culinary School.  The first class starts on October 7th.

I hope to see everyone at the AOB this weekend.  Celebrating 13 years of great Q!

www.tulsaartofbbq.com

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 06:44:31 am »

Friday night Midlife Crisis and others.

Saturday almost 2,000 lbs of brisket will be cooked for the public, if you buy a taster kit.

I estimate over 4,000,000 individual beans will be baked.

Shocked

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 06:52:53 am »

Saturday almost 2,000 lbs of brisket will be cooked for the public, if you buy a taster kit.

Just curious, how many lbs of brisket will be cooked if I don't buy a taster kit?    Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:40:54 am »

Just curious, how many lbs of brisket will be cooked if I don't buy a taster kit?    Grin

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 02:33:07 pm »

Just came from the site.  They are closing the streets and pulling electrical.  Be back at 6:30 am to set up.

Watch Channel 6 in the morning for an exclusive interview with 3 Guys Smokin' including some BBQ tips and information on this weekend's event.

Come out and see us!

inteller
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 10:10:02 am »

so i didn't go to this last year but went the year before that when a drink came with my kit.  this year i get a kit but the ticket that said "good for one frre drink" was not, it was a voting ticket.  and no way in hell i'm going to give $3 for bottled water in the stadium.  this served to greatly mar an othrwise enjoyable day and location.  seriously veven some of the bbqbooths were confused.  this really needs to get clarified so next year i can plan ahead.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 01:37:31 pm »

so i didn't go to this last year but went the year before that when a drink came with my kit.  this year i get a kit but the ticket that said "good for one frre drink" was not, it was a voting ticket.  and no way in hell i'm going to give $3 for bottled water in the stadium.  this served to greatly mar an othrwise enjoyable day and location.  seriously veven some of the bbqbooths were confused.  this really needs to get clarified so next year i can plan ahead.

Yeah, I think they ordered the tickets at the last moment.  Next year will be far more organized.  We were dealing with a new venue and some serious temporal obstacles.  We've gotten tons of feedback from the teams and the public.  The weather couldn't have been any better.  We realize we need to expand the bathroom options next year also.

The Drillers did a great job of taking care of all of the concessions, but I agree their should be some additional options. 

There were several $100k rigs this year, but Jon Russel's Que Crew won Grand Champion towing their little black smoker behind their pickup truck.  I stayed up all night tending the fire and talking with Jon and Russ, and after tasting some of their stuff early in the morning, I had a feeling they were going to walk off with some cash!

Just goes to show, it's not the size of the smoker, but what's in it that counts!

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:15 pm »

I got there later than planned (about 1:30) and several teams were already out, but the BBQ I had was fantastic.  Several teams' brisket was hands down the best brisket I've ever had.

The drink thing wasn't a big deal to me - I just headed up to the McNellies beer festival and took care of my thirst (and then some).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org