A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:35:59 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Art of BBQ  (Read 14262 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: July 09, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »

Septemper 24th and 25th, 2010
Friday 6pm - 11pm Saturday 11am - 4pm
The Art of BBQ at Oneok Field

On behalf of The Arts & Humanities Council of Tulsa, we’d like to invite you to attend the 13th Annual Art of Barbeque, presented by Oklahoma Central Credit Union. Art of Barbeque features a world-class barbeque cook-off contest, officially sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS).

The Grand Champion receives $1200 plus an entry to the ever popular, American Royal contest held each October.

$10,000 BBQ TEAM CASH PAY OUT

SATURDAY PEOPLES CHOICE TASTER KIT - $10 SAMPLING - 11:30am – 2:00pm

Presented by Oklahoma Central Credit Union and friends of the Arts & Humanities Council of Tulsa. It's one of Oklahoma's most popular competitions, with a Grand Champion selected to represent the state in the National Championship Cook-off in October at the American Royal in Kansas City. We will be awarding over $10,000 in prize money to a field of 70+ BBQ teams. The Art of Barbeque is celebrating its 13th year supporting the Arts & Humanities Council of Tulsa. Our event features a world-class barbeque cook-off contest, officially sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS), great musical entertainment, activities for the kids, plus all the food and beverage you care to enjoy. We hope you'll be a part of the excitement! More importantly, though, the Art of Barbeque helps support the important mission of the Arts & Humanities Council of Tulsa to bring the arts to Tulsa youth. Funds from the event underwrite ambitious efforts such as the Artists-in-the-Schools program, which gives K-12 kids a hands-on opportunity to participate in the arts right in the classroom. In an age of strained school budgets, it may be the only arts education many children receive. And federal-level studies clearly show its importance in terms of improved overall academic achievement and reduced rates of high-risk behavior. Please find the enclosed BBQ Team Entry form. We're offering a $25 early bird discount if your entry is received prior to May 15, 2010. We have room for 12 RV's and 75 cook sites. Along with the entry form you will find a list of event details. See you in September for the 13th Annual event!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:58:48 pm »

The event is going to be better than ever. 

We have a massive amount of room around Driller's stadium.

There will be a large People's Choice area, so when you buy a taster kit you need only visit the teams in the People's Choice section. 

Drillers Stadium will be open with their concessions, facilities, and playground & expanded kids area available.

Within the stadium there will be a stage with incredible entertainment both Friday & Saturday night.  You will be able to sit on the lawn or in the concession area.   

It will be September, so you won't sweat through your clothes.

Blue Dome will provide an arts festival connected to the event with more music and vendors.

We've got a ton of parking available to the public.

www.tulsaartofbbq.com

I'm pumped!

I'll be posting a 3D "walk through" of the event as soon as all of the site details are complete.

Let me know if anyone is interested in additional sponsorship opportunities.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:26:23 pm »

booze, bbq and an unrestricted access/overnight event within 1500 ft of both the daycenter and pioneer plaza?
it might get interesting around 3:00 AM...

seriously, will it be fenced?
i always liked the fact that the royal is fenced...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:47:02 pm »

It sounds like this will be a great party. The location looks interesting as well.

But why did they pick a date just a few days after the other big downtown BBQ festival (BOK Center Rock N Rib Festival September 16-19)?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 07:27:17 am »

booze, bbq and an unrestricted access/overnight event within 1500 ft of both the daycenter and pioneer plaza?
it might get interesting around 3:00 AM...

seriously, will it be fenced?
i always liked the fact that the royal is fenced...

Yes, it will be fenced and there will be plenty of security.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 07:34:33 am »

It sounds like this will be a great party. The location looks interesting as well.

But why did they pick a date just a few days after the other big downtown BBQ festival (BOK Center Rock N Rib Festival September 16-19)?

The Rock N Rib Festival is not a competition.  It's a small group of mostly restaurant based venders organized by The RibCrib promoting their product.  The RibCrib recently created their own competition team, mounting one of their electric restaurant smokers on the back of a flat-bed trailer. 

AOB is a 13 year old KCBS sanctioned event where teams compete for $10,000 and garner points, awards, and rankings.  All proceeds benefit The Tulsa Arts & Humanities Council.

BBQ Competitions follow a strict schedule, culminating in the American Royal in Kansas City.  Our festival is the week before, and teams from around the United States will be headed towards this part of the country to end their season at the Royal.  We are now the final stepping stone for many of the worlds best BBQ teams.  Tulsa is their last chance to gain points and prize money before they finish their season at the Royal.

The quality of the Q at the AOB is on a completely different level than restaurant fare.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:42:48 am by Gaspar » Logged

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:47:42 am »

Within the stadium there will be a stage with incredible entertainment both Friday & Saturday night...

Saturday night music? Really?

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:59:04 am »

and, "boo, hiss!" to no new logo...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:18:45 am by brunoflipper » Logged

dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:30:06 am »

This is part of why I planned my trip to Tulsa to see family and friends. Maybe I'll see some of the TN people there. It'll probably be easy to spot me, BBQ in one hand trying a Marshall's in the other, and wearing a Diamondbacks jersey.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:32:07 pm »

This is part of why I planned my trip to Tulsa to see family and friends. Maybe I'll see some of the TN people there. It'll probably be easy to spot me, BBQ in one hand trying a Marshall's in the other, and wearing a Diamondbacks jersey.

Same weekend as MS-150 so I won't be there, I will be pissing Rwarn off by engaging in risky behavior peddaling down Route 66 to OKC to benefit the MS Society.  You can come see us off around 7am at the Crowne Plaza Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »

Saturday night music? Really?

The idea is to stretch out the entertainment as long as possible to tie into the other entertainment and offerings available with the Blue Dome thing. Since we have so much more room, the entertainment is not going to interfere with anything else.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »

and, "boo, hiss!" to no new logo...

There's a new logo, it's just not done yet.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 02:54:34 pm »

Stop by 3 Guys tent and I'll trade you an Old English for your Marshall's.
We have a strange tradition of drinking Old English during competitions.  It keeps people from swiping beer from your cooler.

dbacks fan
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 03:00:44 pm »

Stop by 3 Guys tent and I'll trade you an Old English for your Marshall's.
We have a strange tradition of drinking Old English during competitions.  It keeps people from swiping beer from your cooler.

Only if it's a 40 in a brown paper bag.
dbacks fan
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 03:01:46 pm »

Same weekend as MS-150 so I won't be there, I will be pissing Rwarn off by engaging in risky behavior peddaling down Route 66 to OKC to benefit the MS Society.  You can come see us off around 7am at the Crowne Plaza Wink

I will try and make it. Hopefully friends don't have too wild a time planned for Friday night.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org