A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:42 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Innovative Design and Eco-Conscious Living in the Heart of Cherry Street!  (Read 7202 times)
HollyFrazier
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »

Kevin Stephens Design Group is happy to announce that construction on the Melk Lofts in the heart of the Cherry Street district is now complete! Kevin Stephens has been actively taking part in the exciting urban renewal that has been sweeping through Tulsa the last few years with his innovative design and eco-conscious housing.

Melk Lofts is a modern 5-unit condo development in the Cherry street restaurant and shopping district of mid-town Tulsa, ok with views of the downtown skyline. These 2 bed/2 bath 1280 s.f. units include: roof deck with hot tub, smart wiring for household computer and entertainment networking, custom made solid wood cabinets, granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, hardwood floors, stone tile in bathrooms, private courtyard, living room, dining room, kitchen, master suite with a large bathroom, guest suite, and a 1 car garage.

Check out Kevin’s website here for pricing, contact info and other projects:http://www.kevinstephensdesign.com/1429quincy_rent.php

and

Tulsa Business Journal Article here: http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=39982419.8206851.667433.5342027.86083702.801&aID2=51332

* 1429_quincy_lower.jpg (26.69 KB - downloaded 501 times.)
* 1429_quincy_main.jpg (24.33 KB - downloaded 485 times.)
* 1429_quincy_upper.jpg (27.03 KB - downloaded 487 times.)
* Melk Lofts.jpg (11.53 KB - downloaded 496 times.)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »

Great more modern lofts which don't fit the original character of the neighborhood.  FWIW, I'm a fan of that design style, I just wish redevelopers of the neighborhood would have been more sensitive to the red brick apartment buildings and craftsman style bungalows.  Placing these in the CS neighborhood, to me, just doesn't seem like a great fit.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:19:38 am »

Great more modern lofts which don't fit the original character of the neighborhood.  FWIW, I'm a fan of that design style, I just wish redevelopers of the neighborhood would have been more sensitive to the red brick apartment buildings and craftsman style bungalows.  Placing these in the CS neighborhood, to me, just doesn't seem like a great fit.

Arent you just a tad late to be arguing that? lol  Whats been done is waaay done by now lol. This has been going on for years and years and will never go back to what is was even if they stopped now. I believe these are in the strip of neighborhood on north side of 15th street that already have a mix of different styles and structures.  On the south side of 15th that connects to other neighborhoods, the developers, on their own, have been renovating older homes and apartments and putting in stuff that fits with the older character of the neighborhood. One side of the street that is more isolated and had some very run down properties and vacant lots is getting the mix, the other side of the street the developers are being "context sensitive"... and without any zoning for they could go in and tear out stuff and build things that dont fit with the older style there too.  I dont think you would find another city where such a voluntary compromise has happened.  If we cant get our act together and put in some regulations to prevent the "mix" from happening,,, we can only rely on luck.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:39 am »

What is Kevin ever going to do with the old burned out temple?  Huh
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:50:15 am »

Arent you just a tad late to be arguing that? lol  Whats been done is waaay done by now lol. This has been going on for years and years and will never go back to what is was even if they stopped now. I believe these are in the strip of neighborhood on north side of 15th street that already have a mix of different styles and structures.  On the south side of 15th that connects to other neighborhoods, the developers, on their own, have been renovating older homes and apartments and putting in stuff that fits with the older character of the neighborhood. One side of the street that is more isolated and had some very run down properties and vacant lots is getting the mix, the other side of the street the developers are being "context sensitive"... and without any zoning for they could go in and tear out stuff and build things that dont fit with the older style there too.  I dont think you would find another city where such a voluntary compromise has happened.  If we cant get our act together and put in some regulations to prevent the "mix" from happening,,, we can only rely on luck.

I argued and hated it all along, FWIW.  There's still quite a bit of red brick adorning the 14th St. frontage road.  Of course it makes no difference now that the neighborhood has been scarred by the mod condos but there was a time when those did not exist it could have been stopped if we had even the slightest concept of cohesive development and preservation.  That's how we wind up with crappy Tuscan dreck in the middle of Brookside or Ranch Acres.

I'm sensitive to the fact that a lot of the craftsmen and some of the apartment buildings were allowed to decay beyond practical restoration, but that's still not an excuse to come in and re-define 1/3 of an entire neighborhood.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
OurTulsa
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 11:41:54 am »

Hi Holly.  Can you help me understand 'Eco-Conscious living'?  What's eco-conscious about the Melk Lofts?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:11:47 pm »

Perhaps she meant Eco-Licious?

Just another Arch-o-marketing catch phrase to sell really really expensive little condos.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
HollyFrazier
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 04:04:56 pm »

What is Kevin ever going to do with the old burned out temple?  Huh

Hey Angie,

Kevin is in the process of renovating the Temple Isreal. You can check out this link to the Tulsa Business Journal article about it!

http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=46491513.8992068.646724.2048875.3078039.376&page=1
dsjeffries
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

Hey Angie,

Kevin is in the process of renovating the Temple Isreal. You can check out this link to the Tulsa Business Journal article about it!

http://www.tulsabusiness.com/article.asp?aID=46491513.8992068.646724.2048875.3078039.376&page=1

Yeah that article is from last October, 9 months ago. I think he was asking for some more current progress information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org