A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:59:31 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Arrow: Former Walmart (71st and 193rd E. Ave.)  (Read 25402 times)
Composer
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:16:24 pm »

Video Gaming Technologies is proposing to buy and renovate the former Walmart in Broken Arrow for an Office/Warehouse facility.  It will house 150 full-time employees.  VGT is currently in Tulsa and spread out among various sites.  This will allow them to consolidate to one location.  This site has been vacant for more than 10 years so I am glad to see it being renovated. 
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »

Meh.  Better than it sit vacant I guess.

It seems to me like most abandoned Wal-marts never turn into anything decent looking.  At the risk of hijacking the thread, I must ask, are there examples out there where a former shell of a Wal-mart actually turned into something good for the area it abandoned?   Examples of the building actually being modified enough to look visually appealing instead of depressing?

71st is like a graveyard of Wal-marts.  The one being talked about here (71st & County Line) was actually the replacement for the one at 71st & Elm I believe.  2 generations of abandoned Wal-marts in 2 miles.  Then of course there is one at 71st & Riverside, which is now Open Bible Fellowship.

What limits does Wal-mart place on the property when they leave?  Do they own the properties indefinitely until someone comes along with a bland non-entertainment non-retail idea that serves their purpose of keeping that area a dead zone?  And while QuikTrip is viewed as a darling among local businesses, could you say it is starting to follow the same practice, just with smaller buildings?

A quick google search to get me started on the topic of repurposing old Wal-marts found me this article which I found pretty interesting:
 Once A Wal-Mart: The New Lives Of Big Boxes (npr.org)

One thing that really agitated me was this quote:
Quote from: NPR article
Christensen says cities have a huge incentive to find other uses for these buildings.

"Roads are widened. Stoplights put in. Entire bypasses might be created," she says. "So all of this invested infrastructure remains after the retailer leaves the building behind."

To think of all of that infrastructure wasted by Wal-marts just moving along like a hermit crab annoys me.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:00 pm »

I have been wanting to buy an old Wal Mart, but haven't quite been able to get there from here.  Would make a wonderful little manufacturing plant - light industrial.

Kind of like what McElroy did to the old Kmart on Admiral.  (Haven't been there in a while, so don't know for sure if they are still there, either.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43:40 pm »

The abandoned WalMart in Jenks on Peoria-Elm just north of the turnpike was turned into a Reasors.  Now it is an abandoned Reasors since the new Reasors was built just a bit south of the old one.

The ex-WalMart in Bixby at 151st & Memorial is now a Sutherlands. 

Composer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »

The best redevelopment example I have personally seen is in Edmond, OK at 33rd and Broadway.  Hobby Lobby is the anchor tenant.  Here is the rendering and the actual project looks a lot like this. 

dbacks fan
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:32 pm »

This is happening in a lot of area's around the country. There was a WalMart Super Center, minus the grocery store section, at 7th Ave and Bell Road four miles from where I used to live in north Phoenix. They closed that store when they built a true Super WalMart and a Sam's Club together a mile west of the 7th Ave location and right next door to the Turf Paradise horse track. (There is some irony there somewhere) The old location was left with a Staples and Pet Smart, and a small strip center in the parking lot, and the only places left are Staples, Pet Smart, an Asain food resturaunt and a pool supply place. WalMart has a habit of building new and bigger places near former places, and when they do it kills the old location and anything that was around it. Having watched the documentary "WalMart: The High Cost of Low Prices" there is a lot of truth to there current business model. They have on several occasions in the Phoenix metro area built new locations, killing the area around the old locations that they abandon and nothing goes into the old location.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:59:23 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 12:17:19 am »

Off topic but related, I am curious as to any TNF members that are familar with Costco as compared to Sam's Club and their thoughts on the similartities and differences compared to both of them. Please do not include the liquor department and the optical department as I understand the laws, Oklahoma does not allow eye exams in places such as WalMart, Sam's Club, Sears, etc, and most of us know the liquor laws in OK as well.(And I do not want to go there on the liquor laws)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:22:47 am by dbacks fan » Logged
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:15:57 am »

The old Wal-Mart in Owasso looks pretty good sectioned out like they did. The one at 71st and County line has just been a used car lot for so long, Im glad to hear something is going to go in there. With all the other retail surrounding it. Its hard to believe it has taken this long.
The new Wal-Mart just up the street at the Creek Nation just does not seem to attract that much business. And I dont see a whole lot of other retail beating a path to join them at that location.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TeeDub
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:27:17 am »

Now if someone can be found to go into that empty Albertsons.
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:30:46 am »

Is the old Wal Mart at Admiral and Mingo still empty? I remember it was for sale forever and I have not been by there in a long time.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:17 am »

Is the old Wal Mart at Admiral and Mingo still empty? I remember it was for sale forever and I have not been by there in a long time.

No, some company is housed there and has been for some time.  It's more of a mini-industrial park now.  And all jacked up because they're doing resurfacing along the circle so traffic is a bear out there.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:24:23 am »

Off topic but related, I am curious as to any TNF members that are familar with Costco as compared to Sam's Club and their thoughts on the similartities and differences compared to both of them. Please do not include the liquor department and the optical department as I understand the laws, Oklahoma does not allow eye exams in places such as WalMart, Sam's Club, Sears, etc, and most of us know the liquor laws in OK as well.(And I do not want to go there on the liquor laws)

Sam's: Ripoff customers, screw their employees

Costco: Sunshine and rainbows.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 09:32:53 am »

Sam's: Ripoff customers, screw their employees

Costco: Sunshine and rainbows.

Love me some sunshine and rainbows
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:26:37 am »

Screw their employees probably.  Customers?  Tires I buy cost $3.75 more at Sam's than Costco, same install/balance/warranty fee and the membership is 30 for Sam's and 50 for Costco.  Other quick checks I have looked at on the web sites show they are very close.  And since there is no Costco nearby, I am stuck.

Have OFTEN found the same item at Wal Mart cheaper than at Sam's, so one must know what one is buying.  After that, Sam's is ok for pricing - pretty good but not always the best.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Composer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 04:43:30 pm »

The new Walmart at the Creek Turnpike and 71st gets a steady flow of traffic and will only see its sales increase as the population increases.  Walmart built that location because the Walmart at 71st and Aspen was so busy that they needed to relieve some of the traffic at that location while also plan for future growth in the northeast side of Broken Arrow.  Sales tax has steadily increased in BA and the new Walmart is part of the reason, as is the new Target shopping center.  Sales will also increase once other business locate here. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org