A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:01:43 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Guys Smokin' Products  (Read 77311 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »

MSG is good. Like salt, it imparts the flavor of umami. That's not to say it should be added to everything, but I don't mind if some is if it's needed.

Also like salt, it can very much be overdone.

And thank you, Gaspar, for making me regret my decision to not lunch on some excellent dry rubbed ribs on Monday. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

I plan to if I can find it.  Am always on the lookout for bbq related anything.

MSG doesn't bother me physically in the least.  Where I take exception is the addition to everything.  Absolutely wonderful - naturally - in all those foods and that is how it should be.  If lessor tomatoes can be used by adding a tsp of MSG, then shame on them.  Or chicken broth, or any of the flavored chips, etc.

I can get my own jar of the stuff, like I do with salt, pepper, basil, oregano and everything else.  

Quiet musings moment;
One of the curious things I saw was that US consumption of MSG has risen by a factor of 300 (not percent).  That is an irrelevant number in a vacuum, but it does seem to be kind of high.  I don't eat 300 times the Chinese food or parmesan or tomatoes than I did in the 60's.  (Maybe 100, but not 300.)

It seems there are a couple of other high profile items that have escalated dramatically in the last 25 to 50 years; high fructose corn syrup and aluminum compounds (as in anti-perspirants) and all the bad oils.  

I think the $64,000 question is whether our dramatic changes in some diseases (diabetes, alzheimer's, heart disease) are related to any of this kind of stuff (I am certainly not including MSG in this part of the discussion).  Every health researcher seems to be at a minimum aware of the topics if not working on them.  

Having watched a large family grow up, old and many die, I can see a very definite demarcation at a generational line that separates loosely into those who became adults before WWII and those who came of age during and after WWII.  All eating fried foods, animal flesh (more or less - if you count bologna as animal flesh) and all eating the similar foods.

The big differences appear to be in the oils used to fry (lard versus Crisco, butter versus margarine), the types of sugar (cane versus syrup) and the appearance about 30 to 40 years ago or so of aluminum in deodorants.  The older members used the old and busted (lard, butter, sugar, non aluminum deodorants) while the younger ones use the new hotness (Crisco, margarine, syrup and aluminum).  The old ones in general are living long, healthier lives, while us newbies are fraught with syndromes.  Oh, yeah, I forgot lethargy - newbies are sitting around more, but not just a huge difference - not a factor of 5 say.

I for one, am very curious.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:53:19 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 06:59:33 am »

I plan to if I can find it.  Am always on the lookout for bbq related anything.

MSG doesn't bother me physically in the least.  Where I take exception is the addition to everything.  Absolutely wonderful - naturally - in all those foods and that is how it should be.  If lessor tomatoes can be used by adding a tsp of MSG, then shame on them.  Or chicken broth, or any of the flavored chips, etc.

I can get my own jar of the stuff, like I do with salt, pepper, basil, oregano and everything else.  

Quiet musings moment;
One of the curious things I saw was that US consumption of MSG has risen by a factor of 300 (not percent).  That is an irrelevant number in a vacuum, but it does seem to be kind of high.  I don't eat 300 times the Chinese food or parmesan or tomatoes than I did in the 60's.  (Maybe 100, but not 300.)

It seems there are a couple of other high profile items that have escalated dramatically in the last 25 to 50 years; high fructose corn syrup and aluminum compounds (as in anti-perspirants) and all the bad oils.  

I think the $64,000 question is whether our dramatic changes in some diseases (diabetes, alzheimer's, heart disease) are related to any of this kind of stuff (I am certainly not including MSG in this part of the discussion).  Every health researcher seems to be at a minimum aware of the topics if not working on them.  

Having watched a large family grow up, old and many die, I can see a very definite demarcation at a generational line that separates loosely into those who became adults before WWII and those who came of age during and after WWII.  All eating fried foods, animal flesh (more or less - if you count bologna as animal flesh) and all eating the similar foods.

The big differences appear to be in the oils used to fry (lard versus Crisco, butter versus margarine), the types of sugar (cane versus syrup) and the appearance about 30 to 40 years ago or so of aluminum in deodorants.  The older members used the old and busted (lard, butter, sugar, non aluminum deodorants) while the younger ones use the new hotness (Crisco, margarine, syrup and aluminum).  The old ones in general are living long, healthier lives, while us newbies are fraught with syndromes.  Oh, yeah, I forgot lethargy - newbies are sitting around more, but not just a huge difference - not a factor of 5 say.

I for one, am very curious.

Good questions.  Keep in mind that you only control a small portion of your health, and that is controlled through caloric intake and exercise (not so important what you eat).  Genetics and attitude are in control of everything else. 

My dad's advice on attitude (a wise old Cardiologist):
Fear and anger are toxic because they produce adrenalin, and adrenalin kills smooth muscle tissue unless it is burnt.  So if you're scared. . .run!  If you are angry. . .yell.  Bottling it up will kill you slowly.  Never stop moving.  If you argue with your spouse, parents, or kids, resolve it, because it's killing you, and them.  Any time you feel that "pang" in your heart, that's your brain telling you that you are dieing. Exert yourself when you feel this way. 

Wow!  That's some drift.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 12:51:00 pm »

From barbeque to 42!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 01:52:17 pm »

I picked up a bottle of the Razz yesterday at 18th & Yale.  My GF and I enjoyed some on a little grilled chicken, it was excellent!

I also happened to chat with one of the managers at Food Pyramid when we were doing some shopping there over the weekend and mentioned the 3GS products, he said he was aware of them and is wanting to start a "made in Oklahoma" section in the store".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:00:03 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 08:00:18 am »

I picked up a bottle of the Razz yesterday at 18th & Yale.  My GF and I enjoyed some on a little grilled chicken, it was excellent!

I also happened to chat with one of the managers at Food Pyramid when we were doing some shopping there over the weekend and mentioned the 3GS products, he said he was aware of them and is wanting to start a "made in Oklahoma" section in the store".

We've talked with Food Pyramid, and they want vendors to pay shelf-rent.  We won't do that.  We have 20 years of reputation behind the quality of our product.  We expect them to back down on our next meeting. 

BTW. . . Thanks to everyone who has purchased 3GS products from Reasor's.  We've gotten a ton of correspondence and the store managers are communicating that the products are selling extremely well.  They are going to start end-caps this weekend, and have some of us giving demos at the stores.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 12:58:38 pm »

Hey guys, our "test" in Reasor's stores completed last week and we just got the results today. 

We kicked A$$.  We weren't too far behind Head Country, and way ahead of most of the others in sales.

We will be going into the remaining 16 Reasor's stores, and as we heard from our distributer yesterday, we will also be going into 20 or so independent grocery chains, meat markets, and specialty stores throughout Tulsa and Oklahoma City. 

Thanks to everyone that gave us a try.  The stores blew through the product, with multiple repeat purchases,  and that's what we needed.

Thanks again!
www.smokinfoods.com

joiei
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 04:43:41 pm »

Reasor's rocks, Food Pyramid not so much.  Reasor's is local Okie and Food Pyramid is from Missouri.  Good company but just doesn't have the grasp of all things Oklahoma. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 05:24:37 pm »

How about Crest over in OKC area?  In particular, the one on east 12th in Moore.  I shop there when stuck in city area.

Keep us posted about OKC sites.  It is easier to travel here than at home - less "honeydo" list.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 06:49:42 am »

How about Crest over in OKC area?  In particular, the one on east 12th in Moore.  I shop there when stuck in city area.

Keep us posted about OKC sites.  It is easier to travel here than at home - less "honeydo" list.

Yes we are going to be in the Crest stores too.  Grin

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 07:45:02 am »

I Qued Sunday night and was at my Reasors in Broken Arrow on East 71st. I looked for your product and it was not on the shelf. When do you expect it to be in my Reasors ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 08:34:45 am »

I Qued Sunday night and was at my Reasors in Broken Arrow on East 71st. I looked for your product and it was not on the shelf. When do you expect it to be in my Reasors ?

We have a meeting tonight to hammer out the details.  To go into all of the stores at once would require that we roll out around $50,000 worth of product in a single surge, and we don't have the finances to do that.  So we are going to phase each store or region in on a weekly basis.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 09:43:14 am »

We have a meeting tonight to hammer out the details.  To go into all of the stores at once would require that we roll out around $50,000 worth of product in a single surge, and we don't have the finances to do that.  So we are going to phase each store or region in on a weekly basis.

Thank you for the answer sir. I will be licking my lips in anticipation.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:39 am »

Yes we are going to be in the Crest stores too.  Grin

Good news, there's two Crests near the FMC's house in MWC.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 09:30:23 am »

Great news!!!
We just won a buttload of awards at the largest BBQ competition in the WORLD. Over 800 teams compete in the KC Royal every year. Teams come from all over the world!  We did not attend this year, but we did send some of our product line to compete in the commercial products categories.

Our Razz Bold & Spicy won 1st in fruit based, 3rd in hot!
Our Blues sauce won 2nd place in vinegar based, and 7th in fruit based!
Our regular Razz won 11th in tomato and 5th in fruit based!

And. . . a drum roll. . .Razz Bold & Spicy won 8th overall in the "Best Sauce on The Planet." Sure 8th would normally suck, but this is out of hundreds and hundreds of sauces from around the world, so it's not so shabby!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org