A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:46:01 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 18th & Boston Streetscape  (Read 11730 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: June 08, 2010, 08:19:35 am »

During my visits to the 18th & Boston/Sobo area I often think how much better it could be with a unified streetscape and some landscaping/trees.  Right now there are two restaurants with outdoor seating (Dalessandro's and Vintage 1740, with Oscar's now closed), two bars with outdoor seating (Mercury Lounge and the new sports bar), and Doubleshot coffee.  Currently there is parking on the west side of Boston and with the parking and outdoor seating there is not much room for a sidewalk or street trees.

In the streetscape proposal below there would be angled parking along the west side and existing parallel parking on the east side.  Trees could be planted along the sidewalk and the 'look' of the streetscape could mimic what has been done on Boston from 3rd to 7th.  Pushing back the parking allows for more outdoor seating space, especially at DoubleShot.  If Grindstaff's cleaners moved (possibly across the street next to Pink Bar?) there would be a new space open with ample outdoor seating.  Assuming something new goes in the Oscar's spot there is another infill opportunity (outlined in yellow) where the parking lot is located.  I can see this whole strip being several existing and new restaurants/bars with big outside seating areas shaded by newly planted trees.  The concrete triangle at the intersection could be landscaped to make it more of a feature in the district, as well as the stretch of 18th between Cincinnati and Main.  

What else would you do to improve this mini-district south of downtown?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:21 am »

Unfortunately, you need the off-street parking to the north of the old Oscars.  I know the owner of the grassy lot to the north of the Merc if you are interested in talking to him about infill possibilities.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »

Unfortunately, you need the off-street parking to the north of the old Oscars.  I know the owner of the grassy lot to the north of the Merc if you are interested in talking to him about infill possibilities.

Needed by code?  There is plenty of parking in the area, and on neighborhood streets. 

And yes PM me about the grassy lot.  It obviously used to have a house on it but that whole stretch is zoned commercial now.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »

.....  It obviously used to have a house on it but that whole stretch is zoned commercial now.

Which means that if they build commercial business on that property they will have to tear down more stuff in order to meet minimum parking requirements.  Tongue

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 06:45:40 pm »

Which means that if they build commercial business on that property they will have to tear down more stuff in order to meet minimum parking requirements.  Tongue

Exactly why a special code is needed for areas like this and Cherry Street, Brookside, etc.  However this lot has a parking lot to the east by the MV trail that is used by the Sobo businesses for overflow parking.  It and lots by Spiritbank are sufficient for this district.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:45 pm »

Why do bars have parking requirements anyway?

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:56:10 pm »

I always found this funny.  We all know the reality, especially in Tulsa, but if drunk driving was really to be dealt with they would simply ban bars from having parking lots Cheesy

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »

Perhaps a snow cone stand would have enough space for parking under current codes.  Or another drive-up ATM.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 07:39:38 am »

It's possible the reason liquor stores and churches can't be next door to each other is that you would see how stupid parking requirements are when they both have their own lots, despite the fact they are never open at the same time.

I do wish for MORE parking requirements every time I drive past Asbury, however.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:06 am »

Why do fast-food joints only serve people in cars in the middle of the night? You'd think MADD would be all over that.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:12:23 am »

DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers) has been effective in keeping the late night food places open. Grin

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15:08 am »

http://www.ok.gov/able/

Give them a try.

...and may God have mercy
dsjeffries
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 01:18:19 pm »

I came up with a little streetscaping and traffic calming diagram for the area... This area could be a really beautiful, hip place if we just put a little work into it!

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »

The fire farters might not be real happy with their circle drive, but it sure looks cool enough.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »

They can just use the back Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org