A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:11:22 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Sims BBQ coming to Sand Springs...  (Read 48622 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 08:06:32 pm »

My friends and I absolutely hated Arthur Bryant's sauce. Unfortunately, we didn't figure that out until we had poured it all over our food. It really put me off of KC-style BBQ, since everyone said it was the best KC had to offer.
Bryant's sauce is nothing like most KC BBQ joints' sauce.  Most KC BBQ sauce is tangy red tomato based sauce without too much molasses. Bryant's is just....weird.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 08:08:23 pm »

Bryant's sauce is nothing like most KC BBQ joints' sauce.  Most KC BBQ sauce is tangy red tomato based sauce without too much molasses. Bryant's is just....weird.
Good to know. I'll have to try something else next time I run up there; I heard Oklahoma Joe's was pretty good.

---Robert
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »

Head Country sauce!!

Only gripe about it is the ketchup base that so many places use.  Ketchup is NEVER a valid base for bbq sauce.  Tomato paste or sauce is.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »

I'm not a big fan of Head Country sauce.  It's good on burgers, but not on BBQ brisket or pork.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:02 pm »

My friends and I absolutely hated Arthur Bryant's sauce. Unfortunately, we didn't figure that out until we had poured it all over our food. It really put me off of KC-style BBQ, since everyone said it was the best KC had to offer.

It's like Scotch, really...an acquired taste.  I could drink it like milk...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 09:20:08 pm »

I think Wilson's north is good, 11th street can be a little dry.  Elmer's & Albert G's are hit or miss for me.

I'm real curious to see if Blake Ewing can get a BBQ restaurant opened in the Blue Dome.  I think it would do great downtown.

I love Van's Pig Stand in Norman.  I also like Jake's Rib in Chickasha.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »

It's like Scotch, really...an acquired taste.  I could drink it like milk...

Do you mean you could drink Scotch or Arthur Bryan's sauce like milk?   Wink

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »

I'm not a big fan of Head Country sauce.  It's good on burgers, but not on BBQ brisket or pork.

I have yet to find a decent BBQ sauce for anything that I cook (traditional BBQ mind you; AB's is not traditional in the local sense).  So I use Head Country Mesquite.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 09:22:45 pm »

Do you mean you could drink Scotch or Arthur Bryan's sauce like milk?   Wink

Both, depending on the Scotch.  Glenlivet does nicely.  Now that I've actually had some.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 09:23:08 pm »

How has no one mentioned Albert G's?  I love their sliced beef, ribs, and baloney.  It's so consistent and so good.  Otherwise I love me some Elmer's.

BTW, as far as I can tell from my travels, smoked baloney is unique to Oklahoma.  Anybody know different?

And big ups--BIG ups--to Head Country.  That's the real deal.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 06:22:46 am »

LOL!

Take 50% head country and 50% KC Masterpiece and mix them together. 
Taste and tell me what local restaurant it is?  Roll Eyes

If you like good sauce go with 3 Guys Smokin' Raz or Smokin' Blues. . . in a few months they will also have the Smokin' Black Gold. 

The Raz and the Blues have won in over 200 BBQ and sauce Championships and garnered 14 awards in various categories at the KC Royal.  The Raz is a tomato based sauce and the Blues is a vinegar based.  There is also a Raz Bold (spicy). 

Reasor's at 18th and Yale, and the one in Jenks will have it on the shelf in the next couple of weeks.  Most good butcher shops carry it now.  It costs a couple dollars more than the standard table sauce (Head Country) but it's worth it. . .100% natural no preservatives or MSG.  Made with fresh ingredients, no processed, or food additives.

How's that for a commercial?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 07:43:06 am »

Here at work,me and my co worker like Stone Mill right down the street on 145th E Av.
Our boss on the other hand does not. His gripe is. They dont cook the sauce in the meat, they put it on the side.
So when he gets a vote on what we eat. He has to have Famous Daves"Trash can Lids" And as far as me and my bud are concerned. Thats a perfect name for them, Trash.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 07:46:37 am »

Carlton Place makes some of the best BBQ sauce I've ever had.

His "bluesberry sauce" is a winner.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 08:30:52 am »

LOL!

Take 50% head country and 50% KC Masterpiece and mix them together. 
Taste and tell me what local restaurant it is?  Roll Eyes

If you like good sauce go with 3 Guys Smokin' Raz or Smokin' Blues. . . in a few months they will also have the Smokin' Black Gold. 

The Raz and the Blues have won in over 200 BBQ and sauce Championships and garnered 14 awards in various categories at the KC Royal.  The Raz is a tomato based sauce and the Blues is a vinegar based.  There is also a Raz Bold (spicy). 

Reasor's at 18th and Yale, and the one in Jenks will have it on the shelf in the next couple of weeks.  Most good butcher shops carry it now.  It costs a couple dollars more than the standard table sauce (Head Country) but it's worth it. . .100% natural no preservatives or MSG.  Made with fresh ingredients, no processed, or food additives.

How's that for a commercial?

Is the Smokin Blues sauce the same sauce that the...oh crap what's the name....errrr.....The Clubhouse Grill in Regal Plaza has on their menu? The wife and I were there not long ago and the sauce was pretty good, the ribs it was on.....not so much. The sauce reminded me a lot of the "Bluesberry" Sauce that Steamroller Blues had when they were in business. I will have to keep my eyes open for it at Reasor's.

Some other made in Oklahoma Sauces I like:

Selmon Brothers - Hot is better than the mild. Made in Eufaula.
John's - Especially the hot version. Made in Okemah.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:29 am »

It's not right off the exit off of 75, but there is a Billy Ray's on SW Blvd close to the I-244/US 75 freeway.  I recommend their BBQ.

Absolute dog food.  Closest place to my office and I won't go there anymore.  The Que isn't what it used to be and their produce selection for salads was horrible.  No turn off quite like getting brown lettuce in a salad...woof!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org