A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:51:52 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Sims BBQ coming to Sand Springs...  (Read 48624 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 11:48:03 am »

I lay down a pretty heavy 3 to 4 hour smoke on mine then wrap it in foil and allow it to continue to cook.  If I have ample time, I throw everything into an igloo cooler (less ice) still wrapped in foil and allow it to continue to cook for another hour to hour and a half if I'm doing large quantities.  When I've been real short on time, I will finish out in an oven after a two hour smoke (I know sacrilege, but it comes out falling apart and succulent), that's one short-cut to very tender pork butt and brisket.

A+

I approve of this message.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 12:34:45 pm »

Wilson's original north side place is ok, but others not worth the effort.  Pretty bad.

Jake's Place is a little diner type place at 81st and 145th in BA.  Been there for 10 or 12 years.  Not just bbq. 

Babb Brothers is a little trailer at southwest corner of 31st and Sheridan in a gas station parking lot.  Have never been disappointed eating there, just have trouble getting there during his hours.  Very good.

Don't look at the place while you are driving up to it...you might decide not to try, but you should not be disappointed.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 01:17:18 pm »

Elmer's and Wilson's are excellent.  Rib Crib is the McDonalds of BBQ.  A bland facsimile of real BBQ.  Sims is good but not great.

+100 on Rib Crib.  alot of my friends like it.  I tell them it's like the Appleby's of BBQ, but I like your analogy too.  I think the Appleby's analogy works better though.  Not many items on Rib Crib's menu have that McD's low low price.

I know people in KC who have all this excellent BBQ option to choose from, and they go where?  Freaking Rib Crib.

I do go to Big Daddy's now (one in BA, one at 11th/Garnett).  I miss the Legends at 26th/Memorial though.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:05 pm »

Rib Crib has its place in the market.  It’s a franchise, which means that the focus is on process, duplication and consistency rather than just quality. 

Calling Rib Crib at the “McDonalds of BBQ” is the highest complement to a chain concept, since McDonalds is the most successful chain restaurant in the world.

Rib Crib is wildly popular because they offer a consistent product, and market it very well.  They will never have the “best” BBQ, but they will certainly make more money and be more successful than anyone else.

Rib Crib has some of the best marketing in the country for a small chain!  That gives them "top of mind" recognition in the markets they serve.

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 03:06:03 pm »

Wilson's original location was still good last time I was there, however I've gotten mixed results with the 11th street one.  I can only assume on a couple of early lunches I had there they were trying to use up day-old re-heats at 11th as the meat was very dry, not a good idea in BBQ.

BBQ simply is not a food that translates well to a chain.  At least not for serious afficionados.  It's something the chef puts their soul into and very much an art. 

The Gates chain in Kansas City is the exception to the rule.  They take their BBQ very seriously.  I wish they would expand into Tulsa.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »

The Gates chain in Kansas City is the exception to the rule.  They take their BBQ very seriously.  I wish they would expand into Tulsa.

Not a chain.  Family owned.  Family operated.  They used to be better, but some of the younger kids that are running the stores now are less concerned with quality.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 04:10:49 pm »

Is Jakes at 81st and 145th a BBQ joint ?
Wasnt it a something USA sandwich place with another location at 51st just West of Lewis. Not very good if I remember correctly.
Also does anyone know what is moving into the old Runts building ?

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 04:31:51 pm »

Not a chain.  Family owned.  Family operated.  They used to be better, but some of the younger kids that are running the stores now are less concerned with quality.

But it is a chain.  A local chain, but a chain none the less.  There are six locations around the KC metro.  I would consider six locations a small chain.  I haven't been there since 2002, but it was excellent back then.  When did it decline in quality?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:33:54 pm by bugo » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 04:53:37 pm »

Is Billy Ray's on SW Blvd and Hwy 75 still there?
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 05:04:48 pm »

Is Billy Ray's on SW Blvd and Hwy 75 still there?

It's not right off the exit off of 75, but there is a Billy Ray's on SW Blvd close to the I-244/US 75 freeway.  I recommend their BBQ.
dbacks fan
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 05:17:08 pm »

It's not right off the exit off of 75, but there is a Billy Ray's on SW Blvd close to the I-244/US 75 freeway.  I recommend their BBQ.

I should have said where 75 goes over but oh well. I used to eat there alot in the mid 80's and up until I moved from Tulsa. Went there one night for all you can eat ribs and the waitress would get abiut 3 feet from the table and kind of toss the next tray of ribs for fear of loosing a finger.  Wink
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 06:11:18 pm »

Rib Crib has its place in the market.  It’s a franchise, which means that the focus is on process, duplication and consistency rather than just quality.  

Calling Rib Crib at the “McDonalds of BBQ” is the highest complement to a chain concept, since McDonalds is the most successful chain restaurant in the world.

Rib Crib is wildly popular because they offer a consistent product, and market it very well.  They will never have the “best” BBQ, but they will certainly make more money and be more successful than anyone else.

Rib Crib has some of the best marketing in the country for a small chain!  That gives them "top of mind" recognition in the markets they serve.

Marketing?  Yeah, it's good.  Food.  Mediocre.  At best.  If you've never been an aficionado of BBQ (and I'm damn near close to one), then I'm sure you'll eat their mediocre pulled pork and be on your way and be satisified.  Or you might laud the interesting Bar-b-rito.

If was to travel to KC though, and I do on occasion, Arthur Bryant's ALWAYS gets the visit when I'm in town.  I need to buy some more of their sauce...that reminds me.

I'm just saying that in this part of the country, the mom and pop joints like Legends or like Big Daddy or Billy Ray's are the ones I frequent.  My boss (who is also a pretty close friend of mine) LOVES Rib Crib.  We usually lunch together.  If he goes with his SO and they vote on RC, I'm not going.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »

Marketing?  Yeah, it's good.  Food.  Mediocre.  At best.  If you've never been an aficionado of BBQ (and I'm damn near close to one), then I'm sure you'll eat their mediocre pulled pork and be on your way and be satisified.  Or you might laud the interesting Bar-b-rito.

I admit that I'm a self-professed BBQ snob.  My main beef (no pun intended) with Rib Crib is their sauce is the same type of sauce that most commercial BBQ sauces that you buy at the grocery store.  KC Masterpiece sauce is a good example of this type of sauce.

If was to travel to KC though, and I do on occasion, Arthur Bryant's ALWAYS gets the visit when I'm in town.  I need to buy some more of their sauce...that reminds me.

I'm just saying that in this part of the country, the mom and pop joints like Legends or like Big Daddy or Billy Ray's are the ones I frequent.  My boss (who is also a pretty close friend of mine) LOVES Rib Crib.  We usually lunch together.  If he goes with his SO and they vote on RC, I'm not going.

I wasn't that impressed with Arthur Bryant's.  Have you ever tried LC's in Kansas City?  The main location is on Blue Parkway.  Their sauce is a little sweeter than I usually prefer but somehow it works.  LC's is probably the best little-known BBQ joint in KC.

I haven't ever tried it, but I've heard Oklahoma Joe's is good.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 08:00:26 pm »

I admit that I'm a self-professed BBQ snob.  My main beef (no pun intended) with Rib Crib is their sauce is the same type of sauce that most commercial BBQ sauces that you buy at the grocery store.  KC Masterpiece sauce is a good example of this type of sauce.
I wasn't that impressed with Arthur Bryant's.  Have you ever tried LC's in Kansas City?  The main location is on Blue Parkway.  Their sauce is a little sweeter than I usually prefer but somehow it works.  LC's is probably the best little-known BBQ joint in KC.

I haven't ever tried it, but I've heard Oklahoma Joe's is good.

I think Arthur Bryants gets overlooked a little because of the sauce.  It's not traditional sweet/tangy.  Has a pretty good bite with a lot of celery powder in it.

They have the BEST burnt tips though.  I don't know of any place who really serves them right, but AB does.  At least did last time I was there.

I haven't really tried a whole lot of other places in KC.  I did some years back, but forgot the names.  But of all those, wasn't one I didn't like.  BBQ is to KC as wings are to Buffalo NY.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »

I think Arthur Bryants gets overlooked a little because of the sauce.  It's not traditional sweet/tangy.  Has a pretty good bite with a lot of celery powder in it.

My friends and I absolutely hated Arthur Bryant's sauce. Unfortunately, we didn't figure that out until we had poured it all over our food. It really put me off of KC-style BBQ, since everyone said it was the best KC had to offer.

---Robert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org