A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:15:52 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billy Sims BBQ coming to Sand Springs...  (Read 48372 times)
roscoe
Citizen

« on: May 24, 2010, 08:03:48 am »

Billy Sims BBQ is moving into the old Captain D's...Can't wait to get a hold of some ribs...hmmmmm

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »

Their BBQ is mediocre at best.

Bixby got a new BBQ joint recently named Jake's Place that is very good. Their sauces are more "Carolina Style" and take you off guard the first time you try them, but they are good, just different, and the meat is very well smoked.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 03:01:40 pm »

I have been told that Billy is just the namesake and spokesperson for the business and has no real ownership invested.
I have to agree that its good to ok. Not bad though.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:07 pm »

Their BBQ is mediocre at best.

Bixby got a new BBQ joint recently named Jake's Place that is very good. Their sauces are more "Carolina Style" and take you off guard the first time you try them, but they are good, just different, and the meat is very well smoked.

I used to love Papa Tom's in Bixby.  Anyone know if they re-opened somewhere else?  That was some great 'que.

Until Knotty Pine reopens, Billy Sims may be the best option for Sand Springs.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:15:14 am »

I used to love Papa Tom's in Bixby.  Anyone know if they re-opened somewhere else?  That was some great 'que.

Until Knotty Pine reopens, Billy Sims may be the best option for Sand Springs.

From what I understand the man that owned Papa Tom's passed away and his kids had no interest in continuing the business. Might not be accurate, but that is what I heard.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:42:37 pm »

Billy Sims is the only one left fit to eat in the area.  Knotty Pine would be just ahead of them if/when they get back going.  Sad that Rib Crib decided to go the "fast food chain" approach.  At start-up they were almost decent, but that was gone years ago.  OKC doesn't have much to talk about either.

Wild Horse Mountain in Sallisaw is not quite the same since the old man is gone, but still worth the drive.

Will check out Jake's Place this weekend.  Is that the second one of the Jake's Place in Broken Arrow??  I'm betting yes.  They are pretty good, but it ain't a bar-b-que place.

Any other suggestions??  I am ALWAYS looking for good bar-b-que.  Always!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »

Billy Sims is the only one left fit to eat in the area.  Knotty Pine would be just ahead of them if/when they get back going.  Sad that Rib Crib decided to go the "fast food chain" approach.  At start-up they were almost decent, but that was gone years ago.  OKC doesn't have much to talk about either.

Wild Horse Mountain in Sallisaw is not quite the same since the old man is gone, but still worth the drive.

Will check out Jake's Place this weekend.  Is that the second one of the Jake's Place in Broken Arrow??  I'm betting yes.  They are pretty good, but it ain't a bar-b-que place.

Any other suggestions??  I am ALWAYS looking for good bar-b-que.  Always!

The Jake's Place in Bixby is their first restaurant. The owners have been doing catering and BBQ competitions for years and finally decided to open a permanent place. From what I understand they were originally going to have a place in Regal Plaza but when the developer went belly up and Spirit Bank took over the property there were all sorts of issues and they ended up opting for the local in downtown, such as it is, Bixby.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »

Interesting.  I wonder how they were able to register that name for the business when there is already one in the immediate area?

Will try it this weekend, if I can find it.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:35:11 am »

Elmer's and Wilson's are excellent.  Rib Crib is the McDonalds of BBQ.  A bland facsimile of real BBQ.  Sims is good but not great.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:36:06 am »

The Jake's Place in Bixby is their first restaurant. The owners have been doing catering and BBQ competitions for years and finally decided to open a permanent place. From what I understand they were originally going to have a place in Regal Plaza but when the developer went belly up and Spirit Bank took over the property there were all sorts of issues and they ended up opting for the local in downtown, such as it is, Bixby.

Is Jake's the BBQ joint that sometimes has a trailer parked at 61st and Lewis?
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 07:44:49 am »

A Jakes in B.A. ? Are you talking about the old Runts near Bass Pro ?
Elmers was also mentioned. They were very good when Elmer and his Wife was alive. But the kids or grandkids have just not(IMO)not lived up to Elmers standards.
I have been told that Wilsons BBQ here in B.A. at 145th and 81st is very good.
I havent had Rib Crib in forever because of the food the last two times I did.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 07:56:39 am »

Is Jake's the BBQ joint that sometimes has a trailer parked at 61st and Lewis?

Probably. I know I have seen their trailer all over town.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:53:41 am »

Wilson's original location was still good last time I was there, however I've gotten mixed results with the 11th street one.  I can only assume on a couple of early lunches I had there they were trying to use up day-old re-heats at 11th as the meat was very dry, not a good idea in BBQ.

BBQ simply is not a food that translates well to a chain.  At least not for serious afficionados.  It's something the chef puts their soul into and very much an art. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:02:52 am »

BBQ is hard to quality control.  A brisket that comes out of the smoker may be excellent, but when left on a steam table for 10 minutes after being cut, it becomes dry and grainy.

Cooks have to juggle food quality with food cost.  Good BBQ restaurants throw away a lot of meat.  That's hard for a chain concept to do.

Billy Simms is not the best, but they have figured one thing out. . . When meat comes out of the smoker it is not sliced.  It is wrapped in cellophane and either put into a warmer or refrigerated immediately (sometimes they quarter it first depending on traffic).  This stops the cooking process.  When they rewarm it and cut it it's as juicy as it was when they took it from the smoker. 

The thing they do bad is that they over smoke everything!  12 hours for a 1/2 rack of ribs. . .please.  If they cut that to 4 or 5 and adjusted their heat accordingly they would have a better product. MYO

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:01 am »

I lay down a pretty heavy 3 to 4 hour smoke on mine then wrap it in foil and allow it to continue to cook.  If I have ample time, I throw everything into an igloo cooler (less ice) still wrapped in foil and allow it to continue to cook for another hour to hour and a half if I'm doing large quantities.  When I've been real short on time, I will finish out in an oven after a two hour smoke (I know sacrilege, but it comes out falling apart and succulent), that's one short-cut to very tender pork butt and brisket.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org