A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:06:40 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Palin Gets Her Own Speaking Gig  (Read 23817 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:15 am »

Well, as a life-long conservative, and as an observer of history I feel I've got a say in it and have an idea what is best.    Granted, my social leanings are to the left of former Gov. Palin and I identify far closer with the Libertarians than the GOP these days. I assume you know what's best for the conservative movement, as you do seem to be a very good observer of political matters and you are decidedly conservative.

Sarah Palin is a political rock star.  She's probably one of the luckiest people since John, Paul, & George rang up Richard Starkey.  I simply don't see the kind of great leadership qualities in her that I saw in Ronald Reagan.  Overall, I think Mitt Romney has the best political sense, fiscal sense, and proven track record of success and should be leading the conservative movement.

I also feel like her partisanship is along the lines of Newt Gingrich.  We see how well the Contract For America panned out, how well ratcheting up partisanship an extra few notches worked (White Water anyone?) and how poorly Republicans squandered any semblance of fiscal responsibility from 2001 to 2006. 

I simply hear nothing innovative coming from former Gov. Palin's mouth.  All I hear are the same divisive talking points over and over again.  I also find it somewhat amusing that a failed VP candidate's 19 year-old offspring now is considered great public speaking material.  More power to Bristol Palin, she's been through a lot so far in her young life.  If she can make a great living touring around speaking and it keeps her off the public dole, I'm good with that.  I hope she's got an inspirational message  which makes a difference in people's lives. 

That said, I really don't see what the Palin family is doing is much different than the way Jon and Kate Gosselin whored out their family for fame and the almightly buck.  They are simply doing it in the name of conservative politics and apparently they've found a great niche.  It's a great reality series.

I get your point. Good discussion.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 11:02:39 am »

Please link to me your "HORRIBLE HORRIBLE" criticisms of Ted Kennedy and his allowing a young woman to die in his car, or that Sen. Bird and his klan affiliations, or Clinton's shoving a cigar up an intern's hoo hoo.

You should just be happy Sen. Byrd has a little republican in him.  And I can't vote for him, He has been a politician long enough.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 11:13:57 am »

Are you still talking? As for the thread drift, this was never about Bristol Palin. It was about attacking Sarah Palin and finding a backdoor approach and everyone knows it. Everyone is just so galled by Sarah Palin's nomination that 1.5 years later they are still complaining about it and her, throwing everything at her and the proverbial kitchen sink. Jeez folks, get some context and focus on the real demons in politics.

If there had been a back door approach we wouldn't be having this conversation.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »

If there had been a back door approach we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm calling BS on this and the others that claim this thread is about Bristol, If her last name was Smith, Jones, Miller, etc., there would not be a thread on this topic and no one would care. But since its Palin, out comes the long knives.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »

I'm calling BS on this and the others that claim this thread is about Bristol, If her last name was Smith, Jones, Miller, etc., there would not be a thread on this topic and no one would care. But since its Palin, out comes the long knives.

I noticed that you had no problem pulling out the dagger for the Kennedy family...

---Robert
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 01:05:38 pm »

I noticed that you had no problem pulling out the dagger for the Kennedy family...

Nope, just pointing out the hypocrisy. That's all.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »

what
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:49 pm »

If her name wasn't Palin she wouldn't be in the news in the first place and you wouldn't give a rat's tail.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 01:13:13 pm »

what

He loves the word and throws it out there when he's losing.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:46 pm »

The hypocrisy of me not commenting on events that happened many years before I was born with somebody who is dead on a thread about Bristol Palin.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »

Wow!  The Palins really get the libs in a wad.

Non-issue.  Who cares.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »

To be fair, if her name was Smith, Jones, or Miller she wouldn't be pulling down 30k a speech either. Her giving well paid speeches on abstinence is seemingly very much in the political tradition of speaking one way and acting in another. Bristol has now fully stepped into the professional political arena and is now a paid politician in her own right having formed her own PR and political consulting company. That will come with both praise and criticism. Someone still needs to explain that to her mother. This is especially true when you practice very divisive politics like her mother. Since she is her mother’s daughter and seeing as she is starting as an advocate for abstinence only programs I’m sure she is going to be just as divisive as her mother, and I’m guessing she’s going to play the victim card just like mommy too. But then it’s good theater for Sarah to play the victim and the better the theater, the more money Sarah makes. It’s very predictable that you buy the whole “poor Sarah” bit. Poor Sarah nothing, she is making very fine bank playing poor Sarah.

As for Bristol and what she is doing. I am not against abstinence programs, I would prefer that they are only part of a more complete sex education for teens but I think they have real value. Teen pregnancy is a real problem and for some kids these programs work. Obviously not for Bristol personally.

Most of all, Bristol is a terrible role model for teens. Her claim to fame IS her teen pregnancy (and her mother). She is a 19 year single mother who skipped college, now has her own company and is traveling the country to cheering crowds making more money in a night than probably any other single teen mother makes in a year. All because she got knocked up by a buffoon who posed in Playgirl. She’s nothing less than a terrible role model.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/05/bristol-palins-new-compan_n_411920.html
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 01:39:53 pm »

As a 19 year old single mother, she sure as heck wouldn't be making that kind of coin here:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »

Wow!  The Palins really get the libs in a wad.

Non-issue.  Who cares.

Thousands seem to want to do their bidding.

If Bristol is able to command the Bieber set, we're all doomed...dooooomed.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 01:43:58 pm »

As a 19 year old single mother, she sure as heck wouldn't be making that kind of coin here:

Leave Disneyland out of this!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org