A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:59:00 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouCut  (Read 3866 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: May 13, 2010, 12:14:57 pm »

The video and link explains it.  I guess you kinda feel like you can participate in government.

http://republicanwhip.house.gov/YouCut/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:52 pm »

The video and link explains it.  I guess you kinda feel like you can participate in government.

http://republicanwhip.house.gov/YouCut/

Minus the "actually getting the cuts you vote for." 

Representative democracy FTW!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:34:00 pm »

Is there a "Start Over" button?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »

Is there a "Start Over" button?

Yep.  It was called the '2000 Presidential Election'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »

On a seriouser note, what will this exercise prove?  That we each have our pet projects to protect or cut? That, just as we suspect, Republicans will want to cut social programs and regulatory agencies, but will be happy to overfund the military and enforcement agencies?  That Democrats tend to support the opposite?  

What's the point?  
joiei
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:33:22 pm »

Lets examine some of those cuts that are on the block.

The Presidential Election fund -  isn't that funded by voluntary contributions when we pay our taxes?   I have not donated to that fund in years.   So it's elimination  has no effect on any taxes that I pay.   If you want to give to the fund you can, if you don't want to give to the fund you don't have to.  This is not a tax cut.  And if it is eliminated then Cantor will not be able to ask for matching funds for his presidential bid if and when that may ever happen. 

The subsidies for doctoral dissertations - It only gives out $200,000 per year.   It will take 5 years for the tab to reach the $1,000,000.  $200,000 a year,  that is not something I would worry about unless I was a person needing a little help while I was trying to better my chances of making a better income. 

What would the ending of any of these programs do to help control the budget?   If he wants to control the budget then make it programs where the effect would actually be felt by my pocketbook. 

Just some thoughts to pass along.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

Lets examine some of those cuts that are on the block.

The Presidential Election fund -  isn't that funded by voluntary contributions when we pay our taxes?   I have not donated to that fund in years.   So it's elimination  has no effect on any taxes that I pay.   If you want to give to the fund you can, if you don't want to give to the fund you don't have to.  This is not a tax cut.  And if it is eliminated then Cantor will not be able to ask for matching funds for his presidential bid if and when that may ever happen. 

The subsidies for doctoral dissertations - It only gives out $200,000 per year.   It will take 5 years for the tab to reach the $1,000,000.  $200,000 a year,  that is not something I would worry about unless I was a person needing a little help while I was trying to better my chances of making a better income. 

What would the ending of any of these programs do to help control the budget?   If he wants to control the budget then make it programs where the effect would actually be felt by my pocketbook. 

Just some thoughts to pass along.   

Joiei, I think we'd be shocked if we saw how many sub $1mm expenditures there are which fly under the radar scope.  It all adds up.  We dismiss them because it's not in the billions, but it adds up.  For every expenditure of the government it requires a requisite amount of either tax dollars or borrowing, plus the attendent interest to pay for it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:54:45 pm »

Joiei, I think we'd be shocked if we saw how many sub $1mm expenditures there are which fly under the radar scope.  It all adds up. 

It all adds up to not very much at all. This graphic will show where tons and tons of the money goes.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/01/us/budget.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org