A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:59:00 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abundant Life building, whats really inside it?  (Read 11288 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 11:58:16 am »

This picture from Fiend's collection interests me because I've seen it in other buildings in downtown, where the hang a drop ceiling from the original ceiling. The first time was either in the Kennedy Building or the Atlas Life Building. I was cabling a data network and stuck my head up through a ceiling tile and found that the old ornate ceiling and light fixtures where hidden behind it. It was sad to see the old stuff ignored.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 02:54:37 pm »

I was cabling a data network and stuck my head up through a ceiling tile and found that the old ornate ceiling and light fixtures where hidden behind it.
Having previously done a lot of work for nonprofits, who usually find themselves in ancient buildings thanks to low rents, I can't count the number of times I've seen that.

As far as the building goes, it is one of the few that I'm relatively ambivalent about. It would be nice if it could be saved and turned into something interesting for the neighborhood. Obviously, it couldn't be residential, but one could put a small market in the lower floors (although putting in new doors and windows would be a terrible nightmare) and add a rooftop restaurant or something.

It could make a great data center, had it not been left to rot completely unmaintained.

The main reason I'd like to see it remain is that it is unique.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 02:59:54 pm »

The current owner was not fined like the Tulsa Club building owner because he promised he was doing something with it...

Lookin' good
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 03:19:49 pm »

Having previously done a lot of work for nonprofits,

I went broke owning a string of non-profit businesses.  No matter what I did, they were unprofitable.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 12:06:43 am »

I'd say it's gone from Abundant Life to Rotting Death.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org